Any car freaks?

Rock Knocker

I've never been much of a gear head but ive dabbled in motor hobbies like big mud trucks and Harleys with half the cash necessary so I've done plenty of my own work besides keeping my daily drivers on the road.

But now the daily driver is a 13 Dodge charger persuit old cop car with a 5.7 hemi and rear wheel drive. The car is a blast, the best I've driven, going, stopping and handling.

But I got it with 140k mile and quickly took it over 213k now. I just replaced all the front end control arms, ball joints and tie rods and it feels hardly used. The engine has 2450 idle hours, which a 140k miles cop car usually has over 4000 idle hours and its burning just over 1qt of oil every 4000 miles.

Now I'm tucking away money for an engine rebuild, or new engine and I want more power.

Now I'm looking for 6.4 hemis or maybe a forged stroker kit for my 5.7, and nitrous. If I can find a cheap junk yard 6.4 I could swap in forged pistons and get 600hp easily with nitrous, same with a stroked 5.7.

Ether way I've got the itch to buy some high performance engine, brakes and suspension parts and start wrenching for some horsepower and fun.

Has anyone else gotten into some sports car building or any kind of racing?

I have a 2006 Charger. 5.7 I bought it from a fellow even older than I am.
He keep it up but never put any miles on it. It still only has 20K on it.
I am happy to drive it as it is with no changes.
They do drive good.

One of my next upgrades will be a whole brake package. The last half of 2014 dodge started using the BR9 brake package in their cop cars, huge 14.5" rotors up front and 13.6" in the rear with huge cast iron calipers. Theyre supposed to be nearly as good as a $3000 Brembo brake package and they swap right in with my car.

I would have to check if they would fit an 06 but I've heard of people swapping those brakes into their dodge magnums so I think it would work.

When the brakes on my car were freshly replaced I was impressed with them, I tested them driving 60mph once and it was shocking, everything in the back seat flew to the front with no squealing and the good braking has gotten me out of 2 close deer hits.

I had to replace calipers in the front. Even with no miles much they had gotten a little rusty I guess and one was sticking now and then.
New front fixed the issue.
It is hard for me to keep the speed down on a good road when you find one now . It will slip up on you.
I had Chevy for a long time then had a Ford or two and liked them OK. Have two Doges now. The smaller one we bought new and the Charger. I am thinking it might have been good to have had Dodge all along.

I would just look around for a Dodge hellephant and stick it in there!
w00t.gif

Been driving a factory 1966 427 425hp. Impala since Dec. of 1965, all I know is that tires last a whole lot longer now than when I was young!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: SixsixtyMagsI would just look around for a Dodge hellephant and stick it in there!
w00t.gif

Been driving a factory 1966 427 425hp. Impala since Dec. of 1965, all I know is that tires last a whole lot longer now than when I was young!
laugh.gif

Funny how that is, guess papa didn't buy near as good tires as we buy ourselves....ya recKon?
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: SixsixtyMagsI would just look around for a Dodge hellephant and stick it in there!
w00t.gif

laugh.gif

You've had the same Impala the entire time?!? All matching numbers? Just an hour or two ago I was listening to someone talk about the value of those all original muscle cars. That's impressive.

A hellephant engine alone is a few 10's of thousands of dollars. I forget the differences between the hellephant and a regular hellcat engine but a factory hellcat engine AND 8 speed transmission is only $15,000 and it would bolt right into my car....... it would shred my transfer case and axles but upgrading the rear end should be less than $5000 to handle the 800 or so horsepower.

Another engine builder, I forget who but it can be found, came out with a 1150hp hemi crate engine. A rear end to handle 1000+hp is over $7000. The best comment I've read about the 1150hp crate engine is "if youre going to burn the tires you may as well do it with gusto!" Just the 800hp hellcat will burn tires!

Back