Tikka Stainless Varmint/ Savage 12 FV

Went to an estate sale looking for reloading components and wound up purchasing 2 guns. First is a Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless with less than 200 rds down the tube and second is a Savage 12 FV which was unshot, both chambered in 204 ruger. Any insight on either gun, these are the first for me chambered in 204. Thanks

Have no experience with the Tikka, but do have three Sav 12 VLP's, with
the only difference is the stock really. These are the older models
with blind mags and I believe your Sav has a blind magazine. This is
NOT a hindrance if you reload. I've found that the most accurate loads
have cartridges with lengths which are longer than those restrictive
clips will allow.

Make sure to clean the factory gunk out of the bore prior to shooting
and I'm sure you will be able to find a load giving you sub-half inch
groups.

The stainless Tikka is like finding a unicorn. They just aren't out there that often. Never seen a Tikka in any caliber that didn't shoot well. The Savage, not so hard to find but usually over priced. Saw one today in a TH stock but IMO was way over priced. Its been to several gun shows and he takes it home Sunday afternoon. Not saying they aren't good rifles, just not that hard to find if you look and usually shoot good to.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. The savage is a blind magazine and i do reload, so not an issue. I was able to get some winchester brass, 1x fired and new plus bullets and redding dies. I got the entire package for $1200 and some change. Not bad i figured

Tikka is probably worth that by its self in todays market. You just don't see Stainless HB Tikka's that often any more. Good snag. I had a SS heavy barrel in 22-250 years ago. Still regret selling it.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogTikka is probably worth that by its self in todays market. You just don't see Stainless HB Tikka's that often any more. Good snag. I had a SS heavy barrel in 22-250 years ago. Still regret selling it.

That Tikka is a great find! I have one of their T3 CTR Scouts with the short bull barrel in .223 Rem and it will stack 60 gr VMAX on top of one another. I have been hunting for a longer barrel in any varmint caliber but the Varmints are hard to come by! I did snag a Sako AI in .222 Rem for $800 today, seems to be nice shape. Curious how she shoots

I had been searching for the varmint version for quite some time before i found this one. I have 4 other tikka's and they all shoot great. Nice find with the Sako in .222, that is one of my favorite varmint/target rounds

I have 4 Savage 12 FVs. One in 22-250, one in 204 Ruger, and 2 in 6.5 Creedmoor. I would tell you how they shoot but you wouldn't believe me. Let's just say that the 204, with 40 grain Bergers, does things that even I don't believe sometimes. LOL

Back