6.5 PRC

I briefly thought about a 6.5 PRC or a 6.8 Western for a new whitetail rifle. I looked into it a small bit, did some reading, looked at some charts, watched a view videos, and decided there wasn’t much to gain for me personally on eastern whitetail at my normal hunting ranges over my .270 WIN. I shoot 130 grain bullets in the .270 and it just wasn’t enough difference to start down the new cartridge road for a hunting rifle

It’s definitely an interesting cartridge, seems it may be better than the 6.5 CREEDMOOR, and a lot of people think highly of that one. If long range target shooting was the plan, I’d probably be all about it. I guess it depends on what you have, what you want, and what you intend to do with it.

I think my next hunting rifle will be a .257 Wby Mag.

For what it’s worth, when I was looking the other day, I was looking at a Christensen Arms Mesa in the tungsten cerakote finish. Comes standard with a fluted bolt, skeletonize bolt handle, trigger tech trigger, threaded with a matching brake and thread protector, spot bedding and a bedding block, and around 6.5lbs. SS barrel that’s supposed to be hand lapped and have a match chamber. They have a $350 instant rebate right now on that model and you can get the rifle for like $950. I’ve never owned a Christensen, but that seems like a pretty sweet setup for that price point. Offered in several other cartridges also.

I've built two of them.

First one was just a long range plinker, with the goal of staying super sonic to 2000 yards and not beat you to death doing it. I succeeded, then sold it.....

so5FF41.jpg

se1Kfo6.jpg

Next up, I put together a lighter hunting version:

rFln42u.jpg

GVUe7Q2.jpg

Killed a pretty nice buck in Montana with it:

7Kop9Z5.jpg

I also had a hot shooting 6.5-284 at the same time that was a twin to the 2nd PRC. I decided one had to go, so I sold the PRC.

6.5-284:

M4qSHR5.jpg

Then I sold the 6.5-284......it never ends......

I really like my Savage 110 Ultralite in 6.5 PRC with 156 grain Berger handloads. It is used mainly for black bear, and long days in the steep country looking for barbary sheep. I had a 6.5 Creedmoor but just wanted more. It was worth it to me.

Alf always has cool rifles.

I was just hitting a few shops today and they had a few Christensen rifles. One was the Scout version, 20" carbon fiber barrel and the other was the Mesa Long Range. I think the Scout was Creedmoor but the Mesa was PRC. It was really a nice rifle and the price was in my budget but I just couldn't jump on it mainly because I know very little about the 6.5 PRC round other than its a little more speed than the Creedmoor. I found dies locally but no brass and I also found loaded ammo for $50 a box. Most powders that I read were recommended...I don't have. I really don't have a use for it as I have plenty of hunting rifles. I guess I just am wanting something different than what I have or already have had.

I really like the Springfield Waypoint to but going to have to save some more $$ for that one.

The PRC has a tad more capacity than the 6.5-284, & a good step up from the Crapmore.

Easy to run 140's at 3100 in a 24" tube. I shot the buck above with pointed Berger 140 VLD's at that speed, at 350 yards.

Any powder suitable for the 6.5-284 works for the PRC. H-1000 was the best in both of mine.

My 6.5-284's I always shot H-4831-SC with the 140 class bullets.

No need for magnum primers in either.

So it is pretty much a 6.5 Rem Mag without a belt not much changes in 50 years , tweek an old cartridge a little and give it a new name.

As was already mentioned, 6.5PRC and 6.5-284 are pretty much twins with a couple exceptions. In a short action, which is what nearly all the factory guns come in except maybe Tikka's that only have one action length for everything, the PRC outperforms the 6.5-284 but put the latter in a LA and they go back to being twins. Also, the PRC, unlike the 6.5-284, requires a mag bolt face.

I have a CA Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC that shoots the factory Hornady 147 ELD-M ammo crazy good and a 6.5-284 built on a LA Rem 700 that shoots the Berger Hybrid 140's even better. At present I can't say one out shoots the other because I bought the PRC back when I could get loaded ammo but no brass so all I've shot in it is the Hornady 147 ELDM stuff but I'm guessing it'll shoot just as well as my 6.5-284 once I work a load up for the PRC.

Most are shooting the 140-156 grainers in their 6.5PRC and the most popular powders seem to be N565, H1000, and RL26. And as is typical, the best powders always seem to be the unobtainable ones.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeAl, has cost me a bunch of money !
I should put him on ignore..
laugh.gif

I'm pretty tore up about that too......sorry....
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: AWSSo it is pretty much a 6.5 Rem Mag without a belt not much changes in 50 years , tweek an old cartridge a little and give it a new name.

I think we see that alot these days.

Originally Posted By: alfOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeAl, has cost me a bunch of money !
I should put him on ignore..
laugh.gif

I'm pretty tore up about that too......sorry....
grin.gif

I'm sure you are !
lol.gif

P.S. That scope is in action now .
thumbup1.gif

My buddy has CA ridgeline titanium in the PRC and it shoots lights out with factory 143 eld-x. He had Kenton build him a turret for it after he chrono it. He was out verifying the drops and it shot a 3.5" group (3 shot) at 500yds. He's headed to Wyoming next week for antelope. He wants to reload for it but he's having [beeep] finding components. I wanted one but have since decided to get a 2506 for everything and be done with it. Just hard finding a lefty or a donor action for build right now.

Thanks
Jon

I'm kind of interested in 7 PRC.

Originally Posted By: docjon2013I'm kind of interested in 7 PRC.

Not to hijack the thread but as a hunting cartridge I think the new 7 PRC with 175-180gr bullets launching around 3000fps will be a very good universal North American game cartridge without the recoil of the big 30's slinging 200+ grain bullets.

I put the 6.5 PRC on the back burner for now. Maybe when supplies open up, if that day comes, I'll get one then. Heck there may be something even newer and better by the time we see supplies on the shelves again.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI put the 6.5 PRC on the back burner for now. Maybe when supplies open up, if that day comes, I'll get one then. Heck there may be something even newer and better by the time we see supplies on the shelves again.

Giving up already ?!!

Come on man...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: docjon2013I'm kind of interested in 7 PRC.

Not to hijack the thread but as a hunting cartridge I think the new 7 PRC with 175-180gr bullets launching around 3000fps will be a very good universal North American game cartridge without the recoil of the big 30's slinging 200+ grain bullets.

I agree.

Don't need one, but....

Back