Alone

pyscodog

Think you could do it? The guy from Arkansas is doing pretty good. I think they are down to 9 people now. Might been able to hang 30 years ago but I've grown soft and like the comforts of home these days. He11, I doubt I could have done it 30 years ago. LOL

May have spoke to soon. He's sick and getting worse.

Last edited:
As much as I would like to think I could do it, reality is I probably could not. Never been much for bow hunting with a compound or crossbow, much less a recurve, and I have never really done any kind of trapping. Wouldn’t mind the trout fishing, but I’ve never used the fly fishing technique. I think I would fair ok making a shelter, but without a firearm or different style fishing tackle, I’d likely struggle acquiring meat.

Did my first cow elk hunt solo. At the end of 3 days scouting I was about to throw in the towel due to going stir crazy from not seeing another person or having anyone to talk to. Held out 2 more days and got my cow.
Kerry Carver saved my bacon by bringing me ice and giving me someone to converse with and we made a few coyote stands.
And there was no survival aspect to it. I had a 27ft travel trailer and plenty of groceries.

Originally Posted By: AdamTAs much as I would like to think I could do it, reality is I probably could not. Never been much for bow hunting with a compound or crossbow, much less a recurve, and I have never really done any kind of trapping. Wouldn’t mind the trout fishing, but I’ve never used the fly fishing technique. I think I would fair ok making a shelter, but without a firearm or different style fishing tackle, I’d likely struggle acquiring meat.

fly fishing is actually quite a bit easier than it looks. with an hour or so of instruction learning to cast, any competent angler in other diciplines should be able to put food in the skillet.

i too would struggle without a firearm, that would be the mental security blanket that would stress me the most.

generally speaking... unfortunatly these days i'm not in physical condition due to my back injuries to attempt it, but in my 20's or early 30's i might have considered it.

neat concept of a show, but yea.. not for the faint of heart.

i'd love to see them drop someone from like Marty Meierotto (Mountain Men, History channel) in as a spoiler lol

I spent three years living in a tent in Northern WI and ran traplines all over MN and WI alone. I still do most of my coyote and duck hunting alone plus jaunts fishing and bow fishing alone. You never have to deal with someone else's problems, your partner is never late or pull his weight, never have to loan him money or hear him [beeep] if it was a poor day, he never brings good scotch to hunting camp and drinks the good stuff (mine) first. Doing it alone is perfect.

Last edited:
I couldn't do it now.
If I could call back I am pretty sure I could do ok IF I could get fresh water and there was fish to catch for regular protein when nothing else was available.
A recurve would be a big bonus.
I like being by myself. It takes a couple weeks to get used to being alone then it's good from there.

A fellow would need to do his eating and cooking one place and his sleeping somewhere else because of bears.
The thing you have to have is clean water. That is about a thing of the past around here now. There was a time you could drink out of mountain streams here but now there is a house up stream. Even springs that I used to drink from are no good anymore.

They're only allowed 10 or 11 items, total. Not quite the same as being able to take whatever you want with the only limit being what you can pack or put in your boat/canoe/whatever

Seems to me that most drop or get pulled due to illness, injury or starvation effects, with the balance bailing due to loneliness finally getting to them

Fishooks I hope more than one.
Line nylon
Knife
Axe
bow
Arrows I hope more than one
Fire starter. Magnesium kind works good.
pot (the cooking kind)
Bedroll
A light of some kind. If a light and batteries are separate items it would curtail your comfort a great deal.

It is fun to think about. I wish I could try it actually.

What items would you guys take.

Back