Rattlesnakes

pyscodog

Did you know the Eastern and Western Diamondback have live births? I have always thought that all reptiles laid eggs. Well, not all of them. Seems the rattlesnakes carry the eggs inside until time to birth. I didn't know this. Guess I slept the day they talk about this in biology class.

It was an interesting article. I guess there are several reptile that have live born youngin's. Several species of lizards as well. Learned something new.

horny toads give live birth. had a big fat one in a shoebox when i was a kid. one morning there was a bunch of little mini horny toads in the box. cute little buggers. lol

I have no use for Rattlesnakes.
I never understood about snakes. They say snakes are good because they eat rats. Then they tell you that snakes eat about every two weeks.
So... if he eats one rat every two weeks how much good can that do?
Maybe they eat more often if they can.

The only snakes that bother me are venomous snakes around the house. If a biter shows up where the grandkids or the dog play then it has to go. Otherwise they are free to go their way and so am I. If the snake wants to make an issue of that I assert my dominance and clip their head off via a tool or firearm.

I'm not a snake lover of any kind. I have to admit, a good snake is a dead snake. A friend was walking barefoot in her yard and was bitten by a copperhead. Messed her up pretty good for several weeks. I like to hunt setting on the ground. I make sure there isn't anything that will bite me before my azz hits the ground.

I like snakes.

When I was a kid, I caught and kept as many as I could. Even thought, for a minute, before I noticed how awesome girls are, that I might want to be a herpetologist. Note to the kids out there - herpetologists don't EVER get laid...

The last rattlesnake I had a hand in killing, was killed by my buddy pinning its head down with an umbrella and me sawing it's head off with a handy shale rock. We didn't want to cause a ruckus as we were walking in to make a coyote stand. That was, ehh, 20-ish years ago? Probably closer to 25 years ago...

VArattler.jpg

Only a couple years ago, sat down to make a stand, in September, and noticed we were set up on the entrance to a rattlesnake den. Very uncomfortable stand, lol! We didn't kill any of them. But I think my buddy certainly would have, if the noise and commotion wouldn't have affected the outcome of our stand, lol! We didn't call anything on that stand anyway...

But, to each his own. I'm not a crusader on the issue. You feel better killing every rattlesnake you see, keep on keeping on. I don't judge.

I like to play with and photograph them, then let them go, myself. Even though, liking snakes NEVER got me laid.

20130525_Indian%20Canyon_Rattlesnake-13CW.jpg

20130516_Wendover-STG_Offroad-122W.jpg

[video:youtube]https://youtube.com/shorts/f7Pvnu38nvE?feature=share[/video]

- DAA

I had a snake drop on me from a tree just randomly once. Was the biggest "oh sh*t" moment of my life. Gladly I was wearing my hat at the time and just threw it with snake on top of it on the ground. Never been a huge fan, and that incident made me dislike 'em even more.
On the bad note, my hat got all messed up... Was one of my favorite Stetson hats(gladly https://gritroutdoors.com/stetson/ is pretty close to my house, had to get a new one after that incident)

Last edited:
It's about time to start catching some rattlesnakes. Gonna be walking miles and miles and miles here before long. That part of it ain't super fun but catching snakes is.

Plenty of rattlesnakes here. Like GC, I'm a live and let live kinda guy. As long as they're not in the chicken pens or lounging where the kids play, rattlesnakes get a pass from me. I caught and kept dozens of non-venomous snakes as a kid - bull snakes, garter snakes, water snakes, whatever I could get my hands on. Now I just catch them and play around with them before releasing.

When I was a kid I was told that you couldn't pull a snake out of a hole.
I asked my Dad if he had ever tried it.
He said no. I was afraid I might could.

I've pulled a lot of snakes out of holes. I have one snake den that's about 25 feet up a steep rock outcrop. They're hard to pull out of that one just because if they're laying out it's a race to see if I can get to the top before they see me. On days when it's hot they'll shoot down that son of a gun in the blink of an eye. I had a big one get away in that den the year before last.

I open my bucket and sit it down at the bottom and try and toss them in it from the top.

I used to step on them so they couldn't go in the hole and just pull them out by the tail. I've been bit a few times so I don't handle them too much anymore. Those doctor bills get too expensive.

Last edited:
Back