At the range prepping for coyotes

AWS

Retired PM Staff
Went out with some new loads and scopes, coyote season is fast approaching.

I built a little coyote hunting rifle, lightweight 20P, set it up with a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20 nice scope, crystal clear but with a wide duplex. So, this week I swapped it out for a Leupold Freedom 1.5-4x20 with the PigPlex reticle, not as clear but more than adequate for coyotes out to 300 yards, I was ringing RR tie plates at 330 yards and target acquisition is great.

I moved the VX-3 to my 25-204 and got that sighted in with 75gr V-Max in case I decide to buy a cougar tag. I am very happy with that rifle and the rig is faster and lighter than with the 2-12 that was on it. When I started with that rig in 2005 it wore a Weaver V-3 and I killed my biggest deer with it. I decided to get it back to it's roots with a straight tube scope.

I took the little Sako out also. I'd put a receiver sight on it but needed to cu the comb too much to use it and I still can't shoot metalic sights very well do to eye problems. The little Sako is hard to scope due to it's small size. there are no scopes being currently made with a ocular housing small enough to mount the them in low Sako rings. It did come with a dandy little Leupold 2-7 compact. They made the little compacts in 2-7, 3-9 and 6x. So I made sure it was on target also.

Friday mornings at the range are nice, the range is only open Fri. Sat and Sun.

It is in the same class as the 250-3000 and 257 Roberts(original factory ballistics), great midrange deer rifle. For coyotes the 75gr bullet at 3150 fps is way too much and very destructive. It does shine with 85gr at 3000 fps and 100gr Partitions at 2850 fps.

Sounds like a powder saver to me! Is this loaded to the same pressure as the 204?

:Lately, (last couple yrs) been using scope levels on my rigs. They certainly improved my long range ability with just a quick glance. I was surprised by how much the terrain angles can make you cant.

Good luck with your expedition's!

I'm not a long range shooter, my goal is to see how close I can get them. For me long range killing coyotes is about as exciting as punching holes in paper, calling them into your shoelaces is a rush.

Lol, I consider over 300 yrds to be a pretty good poke myself! But yea, I agree, it's a real thrill in the brush & feels like quite the accomplishment.

Originally Posted By: AWSI'm not a long range shooter, my goal is to see how close I can get them.

My thoughts as well. I always had the thought, if they're headed towards me...let them come. Closer the better, and a lessor chance of me missing. I deer hunt the same way.

Hey, don't knock until you try it! Theres always that coyote thats rabbit or mousing out in the open field & paying no attention as your driving down the back rds. Thats a reason to keep a LOMG RANGE in the truck. Besides, levels do much more than just keep you on the same parallel you used to sight in! I use them ( and a plumb) on the scope to mount & make sure gun & reticle is square. Most scope crosshairs are not 100% plumb anyhow! to what percentage they are held is up to the manufacturer.

To each there own! I'm not here for a pissing contest.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: AWSI'm not a long range shooter, my goal is to see how close I can get them.
My thoughts as well. I always had the thought, if they're headed towards me...let them come. Closer the better, and a lessor chance of me missing. I deer hunt the same way.
While I love close encounters as much as anybody, the first time Mr Coyote stops & gives me a shot inside 200 yards I'm shooting.

The closer they get, your odds of things going sideways goes up exponentially.

I'm not filming a show and need to fill more air time, I'm out there to kill.

I'm not knocking anything. To each there own. Its just my personal choice. I know I'm good out to 300 yds but if they are headed my way, I'll just wait a little longer. No more often than I have went the last few years makes my opinion pretty useless anyway. If your enjoying it, long range or short, that's all that matters.

Back