Realistic Tripod Accuracy

What are your typical group sizes off of your Tripods at 100/200/300 yds. My groups at 200yds seem to double vs off bags, and I just wondered what kind of results the rest of you guys consistently get on average.

i dont target shoot off my tripod. i sight in from the bench and hunt from the tripod. i have killed coyotes to just about 230 yards or so and groundhogs out to 250 or so
i have arca swiss mounts on the rifle and use a field optics pro39 tripod

I don’t shoot groups from a tripod. I have killed prairie dogs out to 425 off them. I can get pretty solid on them.

So it sounds as though zeros from sandbags correlate very close to tripod use. Are you guys leaning into the gun a bit to preload it similar to what a bipod needs to shoot well, or just concentrating on the coyote and letting the tripod do the work? I'm gonna try shooting off one in places where ground cover is a bit high this year.

Groups will open some when moving to tripod. I would keep practicing to get more solid with it. The night guys use tripods all the time to hunt they probably could help with building your foundation. i use them for matches but when calling still a tall bipod guy. I'm old. lol

I seem to have a consistent horizontal 2.5-5" spread @ 200yds off Tripod which is a 1.5" perfectly round group off of just a front bag with 2 different rifles. I'm not trying to shoot groups really, but trying to zero both guns and tough when it's back & forth 2.5"

You did not say whether you are shooting sitting or standing off your tripod.

I have never shot off a tripod, so take this for what its worth, but sounds like you are moving your body L > R > L between shots. I shoot off sticks, both sitting and standing and find that I have horizontal dispersion on both, but much less when sitting because it reduces my side to side wobble.

I can almost eliminate the side to side by backing up and leaning against a tree or fence post in the field on the short sticks; might give that a try, at least to establish your zero off the tripod.

Regards,
hm

Do you have a good solid tripod? I find no difference between sand bags. & tripods. I sight in off of bags & hunt from tripods with no problem. Try sitting down pull the gun into your shoulder rest your elbows on your leg if possible. When I miss a coyote I have done something wrong. It has nothing to do with the guns accuracy. Human error only.

I'm standing with Tripod. It is pretty solid setup. Obviously no Parallax with Digital NV or my other rifle with Thermal. I've eliminated the vertical portion of the groups by running the ball-head loose, but the horizontal dispersion still is present. I make an effort to lean into the gun with my shoulder as consistently as possible, but I will try sitting to see if it has an effect on it.

I just wanted to know what others see when shooting off tripods and if this is the "typical" results. If so then I can live with it. If guys are keeping MOA off tripods, then what tips do they have to help me get there..This will be my second year off a tripod and I've mad some long shots off of them but I honestly could've made the same shots with a bipod/sticks and chair combo I've used in the past.

What are you doing with your off hand? I shot a little at night, standing with a tripod, last year and more this year. I find I'm quite a bit more stable if I set my tripod up with one leg forward and standing in between the other two. Then when aiming, I grab the left leg of the tripod with my left hand and push downward a little. This gives me quite a bit more stability.
I don't like one for sitting. I use a bipod during the day.

I'm running a Bog Death Grip with a 54mm Ball-head. I have both the direct ARCA plate from Stock to Ballhead on the AR as well as on my Chassis Bolt .243. I've also seen similar results with the Original Saddle mount on the Ballhead with the same rifles. I will say going to a ballhead and running it loose has definitely gotten rid of a lot of the vertical dispersion I had.
I don't have access to a higher quality Tripod(or friends with one)to try and see if a higher quality would tighten my shooting up or not. I've considered buying a better one and hence the reason asking others IF they are getting better results going from a bag to tripod. I honestly think the Bog Tripod legs are really pretty sturdy and stable(just heavy) but the way the original fluid joint or now the ballhead attach(using a similar mechanical layout as a "head tube" on a bicycle)to it could potentially be the difference. I don't feel any "play in the bearings and I'd think would be more vertical as distance increases rather than horizontal.
The more I think about it the more I think it's the "stiction" in the Panning joint of the ball-head.
In addition to sitting, I'm also going to try locking the panning knob down and use just the ballhead loosely, to see if that effects it.
I guess if it turns out to be the ball-head's panning bearing, I'll leave it locked down until I can order a leveling head and eliminate that possibility altogether.

I'm making a trip to range today to see what results I get with this and seated.

While a tripod is pretty ridged, there is no comparison to a bench set in concrete with a decent front rest and a butt bag. At a bench your elbows are also supported thus supporting your upper body. With a tripod you are not supported and the rifle has only one support point compared to two on a bench.

Practice, practice, practice, when we had Egg Shoots I'd get out and start with the 22lr off of sticks and when I could start keeping rounds in the dot I'd move to my centerfire rifle, lots of dry firing to learn to control my trigger with the movement of the reticle on the target. Lack of sleep, too much coffee, all would affect how I was shooting.

It makes little difference how the other guys do. Someone might have nerves of steel and shooting off of a tripod is something that just comes easy for him, you can't compare yourself. You can only do the best you can and then keep your shots within your ability.

Last edited:
I agree on practicing, and I do. I just want to identify if the cause is something I'm doing or a mechanical issue that a "better" tripod would correct before I spend the money and have the same issue. I think I have the "me" part fairly consistent and am "OK" with results of 2.5-5" horizontally at 200yds, but would gladly pony up some more money if it would bring me into a consistent 2.5" shot placement that I could depend upon.
FWIW I made the one and only long shot I took last year at 312yds, but I'd like to have more confidence in shooting that distance later in the season when they hang up at the wood lines and refuse to come in closer..

I guess I am the odd ball but my POI varies quite a bit from bench & bags to tripods. I like the concept but hate it when I have it set one way and am forced for whatever reason to shoot the other. Maybe I need to try a different tripod, maybe it makes no difference. I can shoot sub MOA if I zero and shoot a group, I just can't go back and forth and expect accuracy.

Last edited:
I think bog tripods are built for the task, and lots of folks run them so I’m sure it is good to go. I asked because I’ve seen some pretty lightweight stuff that people put a rifle on, and it matters a lot.

For me, i struggle most in the standing position if I fail to pay attention to my body position. If I am intentional with the tripod height I can maintain sub-moa. The minute my tripod is too low, all bets are off. I have to be mindful during the position building process.

I also put very little of me into the tripod or the gun (no loading). I check npoa, slightly move my shoulder to the rifle, rest my off hand on the optic and take the shot. The less of me in the process the better I will do.

Originally Posted By: J GaltI’ve seen some pretty lightweight stuff that people put a rifle on, and it matters a lot.

For me, i struggle most in the standing position if I fail to pay attention to my body position. If I am intentional with the tripod height I can maintain sub-moa. The minute my tripod is too low, all bets are off. I have to be mindful during the position building process.

I also put very little of me into the tripod or the gun (no loading). I check npoa, slightly move my shoulder to the rifle, rest my off hand on the optic and take the shot. The less of me in the process the better I will do.

^^^^^This. Attention to detail is all important in precision shooting. NPOA is essential in building a solid position required to print small groups.

Regards,
hm

For me with hunting rifles, I do load development off bags that give the best group's for that particular stock type. Then I find the longest range where I can keep the first shot in the vital area of whatever is the intended game with the expected support(bipod,sticks,or tripod). Some rifle stocks are very tolerant of changing rifle supports, others shift poi. Your horizontal group's at 200 could be wind(if you aren't using flags), could be scope eye relief issues, could even be the pressure on the stock, or it could be you. Someone to observe(knowledgeable shooter) or record your shooting form may help

Just did some more shooting this morning off Tripod while standing and after locking down the Pan Knob and using the Ballhead, I immediately cut the Horizontal dispersion down to about 1/2 @ 3" total horizontal spread by 1/2-1" vertical.. I tried direct ARCA mount, saddle mount, seated. Even tried shooting off bipod and chair like I used before the tripod and it has the same 3" of horizontal spread but also has 3" of Vertical.
I'm happy with Softball size groups at 200yds with a Thermal scope using a large handwarmer as a target.

After reading the post and seeing others getting similar groups I think I should be happy with what I'm getting, load up some bullets, and kill a few this winter..

Back