Baiting

Thanks fellas! The 50 V-max gets a bad rap for splashing in many postings. However they have worked very well for me. Perhaps it is the shorter 16" barrel keeps the velocity down somewhat and they give better penetration. This particular shot was not a pass-thru, but I do get them some of the time. I've also killed a good many coyotes out of my 243 shooting a 58 V-max at about 3,750 and they worked fine as well.

You sure nailed that one WF, nice shooting!

Last edited:

Wildflights, you put a good smack down on that coyote. And, that’s a very good size bobcat, by standards here at least.

hfmIvBY.jpg

KXEYXU5.jpg

It's too bad she was a really nice cat. A little later in the year and she'd have been a good one to put up. Been losing birds pretty regularly lately.

I was walking down the hall when I spotted her sneaking up on the hens. Grabbed the shotgun and stuffed some HW15 BB's in the pipe. When I flung open the garage door, the hens were maybe ten steps out and the cat was 19. Don't believe she heard the shot or even registered that I was there.
Hope this cuts the loses. If I'd been a second or two slower the wife would have gotten pictures of the living cat from the hall.

Last edited:
Had two coyote sightings this AM. I had just let the dogs out when the chime went off. Scanned the field and there was a coyote under the apple tree. That one got away as I was bringing the dogs in.

Over the next couple of hours, I'd scan the field and picked up coyote #13 on the bait site working over what's left of a nutria. The chime must need charging as it didn't alert while she was in front of it.

My normal routine is to get the gun on the coyote and start recording. Then I wake up my wife and tell her to cover her ears as I have one in the sights. In this video, I must have bumped the gun when I hit record.

#13 Big female. Will update with a pic after daylight sets in.

https://rumble.com/v1h1jqr-video-172-2022-13-nutriabeaver-bait.html

Last edited:
Still in the action WF! WTG! You've been killing them all summer, what's your winter gonna like? Does the action pick up a little, or this kind of an unusual summer? Either way, you are in the coyotes!!

I'm on track to be just short of last year. Expecting to tally 20 by New Years. Last year I was at 21. This last couple of weeks have been crazy uncorking brass bottles.

Out of the fog last night. First coyote appears to be limping on right rear leg. He gets to live to see another day. Second one not so lucky. Decided to punch through some branches as they were not out in the open.

[video:youtube][/video]

c4Bw6HG.jpg

50fQhaE.jpg

Taking the ride of shame to the bone pile this morning...

Rf30Xvz.jpg

Dedicating this one to my 9 year companion Buford. Buford died Oct 1st from lymphoma. Coyote slayer, protector of cats and property, most loyal and loving dog I've ever had. RIP buddy. Hope you're slaying yotes on the other side

YtXrfUG.jpg

y5UrLk4.jpg

Way to go Burn, getting the season rolling!!Congrats!!
Sorry to hear about your pup, I'll always remember the racoon fiasco
He got into that you posted a year or so ago. Stay after em.

Awesome video Burnsome. Two coyotes, two raccoons and a possum all...it's like a Disney movie. LOL. Very cool.

Your pup looks like a happy guy in that thermal image. Those are tough days.

Good video, Burn. Was Interesting to see the coyote go after the possum.

Really sorry to hear about Buford. The term “man’s best friend” doesn’t come close to describing a relationship with a good dog.

Back