Coyote season is fast approaching what are you working on?

AWS

Retired PM Staff
For this season I've put together a little 20P on parts I've picked up across the different sites I visit(except the barrel). Loaded eight rounds to verify before doing a bunch. I think this will be a good one, although I'm a little concerned about 32gr Nosler HP's on coyote but they aren't large northern coyotes.

IZZMTs.jpg

I'm still going to work on two coyotes with my bow. Called in five to bow range last year and missed two, shot under both before the season took a bad turn and had to quite hunting.

After getting back to calling them close for the bow I'm finding that really enjoyable and will spend a lot of the season in the thick stuff trying to call them close. I picked up a couple Leupold 1.5-4x20 Freedoms w/PigPlex for the projects this year. I like that scope a lot, shot one on my 25-204 last weekend out to 330 yards,

I hope to get some boat hunting trips in both preds and ducks. I rebuilt the boat again, nothing drastic like last time but I can run shallow now. So boat hunting for preds should be fun.

Time will tell.

Have a good hunting season.

I've always been lucky that way as I've always lived where there is plenty of public lands. Northern WI and MN, ND, WA, CO and NM and most of the states in between. Right now, I have it great as there is about 10,000 sq miles of hunting within an hours drive of the house. Many of the large ranches have just a small home places and everything is leased BLM or State land or if they have large acreage they are surrounded by public land.

It is surprising how much actual public land is out there, often just enough acreage to hunt nestled in a lot of private lands that you can call preds off of. I does take homework, I have books of BLM maps for each state I hunt, DeLorme's atlases to get overall looks at the area, state public lands chips for my GPS and access to the county assessors land maps on my computer.. Another tool is Google maps and surprisingly realtor sights as they also have satellite mapping.

I'm just trying to make sure the old Jeep is in travelling fettle. Going to wait till it cools off a bit to go check zeros.

- DAA

I loaded up another 40-50 221FB's with 15.0 of LilGun under 40NBT's lit by CCI BR4's. Like you AWS, my Rem 700 LVSF w/Super Hogster is a lightweight package & ready to do some scanning again this season now. Me and a buddy tagged one at his place up on the mountain, on our second set. That was probably a month ago by now, so I will be anxious to get out when the temps ease up a bit by say mid-Sept. I called on one great farm - talked to the fella's young son, left a business card in the front door, but no luck. So like another said, I need to start trying to line up some more properties also.

I have permission to all my places and a bunch of public ground to hunt. A couple farmers said a mountain lion is running around, legal to shoot here. Humidity has been low and hopefully stays that way.

AWS, that’s a nice group with the 20 P. Wishing you well with it this season.

As for me, it’s slow here, not many coyote sightings. Just hoping it picks up soon. I enjoy experimenting with various rifles, scopes and loads. I have a hankering to try a .308 Bergara for a change. Have used smaller calibers for years, mixing it up with different scopes. The last two seasons I used a 6mm Remington, 6x45 and a 6.5 Grendel. A .308 is way more than I need for coyotes, but it needs time out of the gun rack, plus will give me a little excitement to do something different.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
AWS, that’s a nice group with the 20 P. Wishing you well with it this season.

As for me, it’s slow here, not many coyote sightings. Just hoping it picks up soon. I enjoy experimenting with various rifles, scopes and loads. I have a hankering to try a .308 Bergara for a change. Have used smaller calibers for years, mixing it up with different scopes. The last two seasons I used a 6mm Remington, 6x45 and a 6.5 Grendel. A .308 is way more than I need for coyotes, but it needs time out of the gun rack, plus will give me a little excitement to do something different.

06, I say get after it with the .308. I killed one on my 130 yd site with the .308 and just seemed like a whole different ballgame. Just push the "off" switch so to speak. Ton of fun. If I remember right, there was a little fur damage, but not destroyed like I was expecting. 168 gr Amax I think. After all, fur isn't worth anything these days, just as well play.

Back in the day when fox were big money, I used a savage 99 in 300 Savage with 170gr cast bullets, killed them dead and a couple stitches made them look good. Paid for my first real predator rifle with that 300 Sav.

So long as you're not saving fur, Dave, the .308 is a great coyote rifle. Go for it!

When I was forced to retire the AR, I tried a Savage scout in .308. It was the only finicky Savage I've ever encountered. Tried 110 gr. varmageddons to no avail, finally found a moa load w/125 gr. NBT's. Close enough trajectory to the 243 and it hammered coyotes. Short and handy rifle, but first time I needed a followup shot I nearly bent the trigger before I remembered, ya gotta work the bolt first.
blushing.gif

Used it quite a while until I found a .308 BAR. Still no AR, but does provide the quick followup if needed. That rifle doesn't like the 125's but does under moa w/the varmageddons and they work equally as well on coyotes.

Like Baitpile said, the 308 puts 'em down with authority.

Regards,
hm

Long story short, landowner of the three ranches I hunt banned AR's after some slob shot up a herd of hogs, leaving several crippled hogs for the landowner and his foreman to put them down, along with a pile of .223 brass.

I know, not the rifle but I don't blame him for being furious about the incident, just wish he'd taken another route.

Regards,
hm

Howdy AWS, got a new to me Ruger Mini 14 with a SWFA 1-4 x 24 scope. Almost stole it. Haven't zeroed it yet but soon, looking forward to seeing you again this fall.

My Bergara .308 shoots 130 gr. Barnes TTSX very good, also 150 TSX. Used the 130’s on hogs. For coyotes I plan to use something lighter, and cheaper. Have been thinking about the 110 Vmax hoping it will shoot well enough. I like Varmageddons in the Grendel and would like to try the 110’s in the .308, but they apparently are non-existent right now. Can’t find them anywhere.

Sort of on another note, but tied into Skinney's thinking on improving the PM website, does anyone know why the "Hunter of Month" was dropped. I always enjoyed reading the stories and the friendly competition between the various hunters. With a new season upon us, it might be worth considering spurring some interest with HOM again.

What I'm working on to prepare for season is finally getting my feet straightened out with a set of insoles made to my feet so I'm not crippled this winter like I was last for starters, as well as trying some new hunting boots that actually fit a 14 A foot after much searching. Should have my new revolver for close range work back by end of September, so looking forward to working up a good field load for that one. Ended up picking up an Eberlestock Gunrunner pack last year after season with the idea of having it in case I wanted to pack a shotgun along, but will be experimenting with using it to carry my rifle in for now. I also just got a bino harness Eberlestock recently released to try instead of my elastic back/shoulder strap style that stretches and bounces around and gets in the way of things, especially in winter. I can tell already just setting it up today it's gonna be much handier than the old strap rig. The rifle needs nothing but it'll get rechecked before I start hide hunting. Also got a gas Gator coming supposedly in mid December to be ready for grass season next year, but looking forward to hopefully having it for some hide season coyote culling. It should be MUCH sneakier than the old diesel one I've been running.

This is my second season with an AR(Thermal) and after some high and lows last season, I've been working on loads with 60 grain bullets. I had a few runners from non-ideal shots in close(

Back