Vortex rings??

pyscodog

I bought a Viper PST from another forum and he included a set of rings. When I went to mount the rings, they wouldn't tighten up. My base is a Leupold picatinny one piece. With the rings completely closed, there was .030 difference between the rings and the base. Needless to say they were loose. What am I missing? Never ran into this before.

PMR-30-97 is on the box. I can only assume the rings match the part number. He sent a throw lever and it didn't fit either. I bought a Gen 1 and the lever is for a Gen 2.

Base measures .860 and rings .892. About .030 +/- as its tough to measure with a scope installed. I bought a set of Burris Xtremes and they work fine. So did some Weaver Tactical.

Last edited:
I know they make rings for Weaver rails and Picatinny rails that look the same and maybe even have the same or a similar part # but the dimensions are slightly different.

Is it possible you have the rings for a picatinny rail but your gun actually has a Weaver rail or vice versa?

To be 100% honest...I don't know. I am working on a SA Howa 1500. If I use two piece bases, I can use Remington. But I wanted a one piece base and a SA Remington won't fit. No one in town had a one piece so I ordered the Leupold one piece from Optics Planet. It has the wider slots for the tactical style rings but that's about all I know. I know I didn't research this much but have never run into this before. But, I've never used Vortex rings before either.

Optics Planet #LU MT BCKCNT 171514. Its Leupold Back Country Picatinny rail. That's all I know.

Last edited:
I've had rings that are loose on some rails and not others most that I have had problems with have been veriticle split rings. I did have a set of cheap off brand that were that had a clamp bar like Weaver's, I just filled the base of the ring so the clamp bar could tighten untill I found a better set.

I just put these back in the box and bought new ones that fit. I considered a little "Southern Ingenuity" but it usually bites me in the butt later down the road.

i would contact leupold and vortex both - give them the part numbers and the dimensions you have measured.

im betting that one or the other (and it appears the rings since another brand fit the rail) may well be out of spec.

both company's products have lifetime warranty's, and are known for solid customer service.

nothing to lose but a bit of your time to find out at least.

Today I compared a Night Force, a Weaver and a Leupold one piece base. Myself and the counter guy couldn't tell even a small bit of difference in the width of the three bases. I'm thinking it may be something wrong with the rings. I guess the next step in call Vortex.

I went back to the store again this morning. I bought a Weaver Tactical base and low and behold, the Vortex rings work just fine on the tactical model. So, problem solved. LOL, I bought a Timney trigger for the rifle to. Sure beats the factory POS trigger that was in it. But now, I have a great trigger that is safe and got my PST mounted in the good rings. Time for some range time now.

The PMR rings are picatinny spec but the leupold base should be too if its the tactical/Mark 4 variation. The rings are rebranded Seekins, I would be willing to bet the base is more than likely out of spec

Back