New Leupold To To The Range

Terry Lightle

Went really early to check out the duplex firedot reticle,think it will do what I want in dim light.Did not find anything that I did not like.Debating on the CDS turret,I sight in dead on at 220 and hold on fur and send it.Almost everything I shoot at seems to be 150 or in.Put it on my Tikka 223,scope is VX5 HD 3-15X44

Last edited:
I have a 3x9 with Firedot and CDS dial. Love it! With a 100yd zero its dead on out to 300. That's as far as I have shot it due to limited distance at my club.

That firedot is great if you have old eyes like mine, its not just great in low light but also when you have an animal in brush and saplings. The CDS is spongy compared to tactical scopes but for 95% of hunters it gets the job done just fine. Enjoy your new scope!

I have a VX5HD 3-15x56 on a 300 WM with that firedot. Seems to get washout from the light, I never use it. That scope is bright enough, unless its pitch black, you will likely be able to see anyway

Does utilizing a fire dot reticle hasten the decline in ability to see a standard crosshair? I mean, if your eyes get accustomed to a fire dot, is it harder to use a non fire dot , even if there’s been no change in your vision.

I guess for you guys with both, do you have any trouble switching between fire dot and standard?

Originally Posted By: AdamTDoes utilizing a fire dot reticle hasten the decline in ability to see a standard crosshair? I mean, if your eyes get accustomed to a fire dot, is it harder to use a non fire dot , even if there’s been no change in your vision.

I guess for you guys with both, do you have any trouble switching between fire dot and standard?
I love the Firedots, absolutely no issues to worry about.

I haven't used a Leupold Firedot but have a few scopes with German #4's with illuminated center dots. I did get rid of a Elite 4200 w/ill. dot because it couldn't be turned down enough.

I have no problems switching, but I don't use it all the time. In fact, since I've moved out of the PNW They rarely get used. I will say for dull days and coyotes moving through the sage it is a lot easier to follow them when you don't have to concentrate on where the crosshairs are.

Back