Leupold vx-2 on a shotgun?

ny hunter

I picked up a stoeger M3000 for yote hunting. I have a Leupold vx-2 1-4x20 already and was wondering if this would work on a shotgun? Or should I go with a shotgun specific scope. Unfortunately red dots are out of the question with my eyes.
Thanks

I use them on my combo guns, one drilling and have a newer Freedom 1.5-4 on my 870. It is my favorite scope for close in work.

Thank you I’m switching to a shotgun because of the thick woods I hunt most shots will be under 50 yards. I wasn’t sure if a rifle scope could handle or would work with a shotgun.

Certainly no expert on this and maybe someone else can chime in, but aren't heavy recoiling semis hard on scopes. No experience with scoped semi shotguns, but the 7400 30-06 carbines that we hunted with seem to mess up scopes at a higher rate than our bolt guns. ??????

This one has been on about 10 yrs with nary a problem.
mF8Jow.jpg

For a few bucks a couple of photograph type coyote targets can be setup in the type of cover you would be hunting in, morning or evening. See which sight setup gives you the best shot placement. With just a bead in low light I see shooters drop the butt of the shotgun, lift their head trying to see the coyote. This leads to shot patterns over the top of the coyote. Follow up shots will be faster with only a bead, whether they are accurate is something else. It is also possible the shot pattern, doesn't impact "on the bead" and an adjustable sight will be needed. I have a Leupold ultimate slam scope, it has worked perfectly for several years on my Savage 220.

Some like me can no longer use open or peep sights. So, it is either a scope or red dot and I've tried the red dots and while they work on my handgun and bow a 1-1.5x scope works much better on a rifle or shotgun for me. For birds and clay games the bead still works though in a pinch it will work for coyotes. Though a coyote rarely flushes like a bird or runs as fast as a bird flies, but then I've killed pheasants and ducks on the way back from a coyote stand with a scoped shotgun...

My understanding is that most dedicated "Slug gun" or shotgun scopes have pinned reticles to help keep the internals from being destroyed from the shock. I do not only any shotguns with scopes mounted that I can think of so cant weigh in there but this is what I have been told working in the industry.

That said, I doubt the VX2 is a purpose build shotgun scope but it is a leupold LPVO and should be durable enough for dangerous game rifles, I do not see why it wouldnt work on a shotgun.

I thought shotgun scopes had parralex adjusted for closer range? Don't know where I got that. I have a VX2 on a Drilling, and have shot slugs, buckshot, and various 16ga shot loads with no problems. The Nikon shotgun scope on my 870 deer gun has dots to compensate for slug drop, similar to my crossbow scope.

Back