Tacoma Rant!

Okay, I just have to get this out. Hail seriously damaged my 2017 Tacoma. This was on May 10th. I reported the damage and damage to my roof within an hour to my insurance company. The insurance company has seven days to get appraisers out to appraise the damage. So far the appraiser for my Tacoma has not come. He will not be here until next Tuesday. I liked the look of my truck and now I'm embarrassed to drive it. It looks like I parked it at the 250 yard marker on a driving range. Anyways, I got tired of waiting and took it to a body shop for an estimate and get it on their repair schedule. The body shop estimate - $15,600.00. Now I'm still sitting on pins and needles waiting the the insurance adjuster. I don't want my truck totaled. It is paid for and I have only 30,000 miles on it.

OH, and my house roof! I have several sun tubes going up through the roof, they provide light in the house all the time. These have clear plastic domes at the top and clear lens in the ceiling. The hail broke one dome and the lens in the ceiling. So, I get a contractor out the same night to put a temporary patch on the sky light. He gets up on the roof and says, "the roof is all damaged and I need a new roof". He gives me a estimate for $27,000.00 for just my home. He doesn't look at my second garage. I S... and don't know if he is blowing smoke up my butt. So the adjuster comes and looks at my two roofs. I have a second four year old 28X36' garage. I'm expecting him to say the roofs are good. No, he agrees they need replacing. Now I'm thinking the contractor is high and the insurance company will come lower and I'll have to negotiate with both.

Two days ago I get a settlement letter from the insurance company for the roofs. Their paying $40,000.00 for both roofs. Needless to say I'm shocked! I built my home twenty years ago - have prices gone up that much?

Dave

Quote:I don't want my truck totaled.

If they do total it, you could probably buy it back on the cheap and based on your Suzy, would love to see what you could do with it.
thumbup1.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Quote:I don't want my truck totaled.

If they do total it, you could probably buy it back on the cheap and based on your Suzy, would love to see what you could do with it.
thumbup1.gif

Regards,
hm

Sami is up for sale!

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: wachtelhund1

Sami is up for sale!

what's the story on the zuki?

Its getting to small for me! Its a hobby vehicle, I'm 72 and to fat. Time to pass it on.

Originally Posted By: wachtelhund1
Two days ago I get a settlement letter from the insurance company for the roofs. Their paying $40,000.00 for both roofs. Needless to say I'm shocked! I built my home twenty years ago - have prices gone up that much?
Dave

Sorry to hear about the hail damage, the simple answer to your question is "YES", especially in the last year or so!!

Last year my buddy sold a 2006 Tacoma TRD Sport with 285,000 mi on it for $8,500 and right now used vehicle prices are up 30%, they may not total your Tacoma, it could be worth way more than the repair cost. They do have a way to repair hail damage, I don't know how good the final result is though, the other option would be to replace the damaged body parts.
I have a 2018 TRD Sport X-cab with just over 30K on it, I would cry if that were to happen to mine!
Good luck, and take into consideration that probably around half of the repair cost for both the Tacoma and the roof is labor!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear also.
Been wanting a 99ish era 4runner with less than 180k miles but none to be had. 50k for a new one is just redonkulous.

Well Wednesday the insurance adjuster came to look at my truck. He said it had significant damage but didn't think it would be totaled because of today's prices. Several years ago it would have been totaled. He asked if I had taken it to any shop for estimates. I did and he knew them. He said the shop estimate was about $10,000.00. I said that was it. He said the insurance company may come in with a settlement of $7,000.00 to $8,000.00, but don't worry. He said shops get paid by hail dent. He didn't see all the dents and the body shop didn't see all the dents either. The shop will send in an addition claim to cover their cost. I'll just have to pay my deducible.

Here is an update on my Tacoma! It is fixed and home. My insurance company paid $13,607.00 to have it fixed. Unbelievable! Eighteen months ago, I slide off the road in our first ice storm of the year. They paid over $13,000 to fix it then. Hard to believe between the two events they paid almost $27,000 on the same vehicle.

And for those interested in my Suzuki Samurai, I sold it two months ago for $10,000.00.

Back