Red Fox behaviors

1oldcoyote

I have left the Red Fox alone for probably close to 40 year now. Since then I have just observed their behaviors while out hunting other predators or observing active Red Fox den sites in the spring. It is the alpha female who tends to her kits. Along with teaching them various aspects of life. She is the primary teacher of her young.

Red fox kits are weaned around 5 wks old. Typically 5+ weeks old, more so. However, they will still suckle provided their mother tolerates their needle teeth. She will take some of her litter out in the evening hours on short jaunts. As they learn their skill set. As for a straggler in that kit group. She does not wait for them. From what I have witnessed.

The alpha male his duties include bring kills to the entrance hole & dropping it off. As well as defending his kits. IF... the female dies. He will take over her duties. Strange as it may seem. He always drops his kills at the entrance vs any exit hole.

Early in the am. The female may go on short hunts. Leaving her kits back at the den site. When she is gone they hang pretty close to the entrance hole or remain in the den hole. I've observed many females raise their litters. They have taught me plenty & I thoroughly enjoyed my time with them.

When the kits get to around 11-12 weeks old. The female does not pay much attention to them. As they are pretty much on their own by then.

While observing Red Fox near the den site. I have found they will often dismiss deep based sounds I've made to see their reactions. High pitched sounds does alert them & peaks their interest.

Some have spouted neither a Red Fox or a coyote. Does not/will not use an old den. Other than for rearing. I have found that not to be true. They will use an old den. If pursued, injured & blizzards to name a few reasons. So empty is not always empty.

I watched a female raise 2 litters. While her young remained in the den. She would go out on early morning hunts. Coming back in early day light. When she came back. She would pause & look down the den hole. Her den was maybe 60 yards away or so. She must've made a soft noise as she looked down the entrance hole. Because moments later her kits would pour out. Then start suckling on her.

Some claim to understand wild canine vocals. They might be onto something? who knows. I do know when a Red Fox makes 2 quick barks. Her kits immediately scramble & dive down the den hole.

Last edited:

I was thinking back this morning. Remembering things I've seen over the years. I recall 2x where a female moved her litter to another den site. Both instances the females moved her kits roughly 1/2 mile away. I believe one move was because the culvert tube she had them in became to wet. After a week of heavy rains. Eventually ditch water worked it's way into that culvert. As for the other female. I have no idea why she moved her litter.

What I have noticed during pup rearing time is. Red Fox kill their fare share of domestic cats. I can't say I know of any other time where that has occurred. I suppose they taste like chicken?

Some say a cat is a domesticated rat. I concur. Go dogs...haha

FWIW, I'm sure some of you already know. Territorial Red Fox tolerate a fair amount of trespassing by other neighboring Red fox.

Unlike the coyotes. I've estimated a local pair of Red Fox inhabit 2-3 square miles of ground. Territorial coyotes their land also over laps other neighboring territorial pairs. But their overlap boundrys typically are around 1/4 mile +/- from what I have estimated. That overlap area can/may/will be used by neighboring coyote family groups. My findings are for my hunt areas. Which may differ vastly from what occurs in a different geological region.

Snafu

Last edited:
A common shared behavior of Red Fox & the coyotes is; They both spend the vast majority of their time on the down-wind areas such as; Down wind side of ridelines, hillsides or other ground features. That assist in blocking the wind.

They use the up wind/windward areas (mainly) as a transition area to get from one down wind area to the next. That is not to say they will not linger, hunt or otherwise use an up-wind area. For other purposes. They just don't spend much time there is all.

Worth noting; Any hunter who hunts hilly terrain. It would be best. If that hunter did not walk into a hunt area with the (wind in their face). As any wild canine up ahead on the opposing down wind hillside. Will bust you.

Snafu

Last edited:
Wind at it's backside as per usual.
52160251603_7d2c2653f0_c.jpg

Some years back.

Female came back from an early morning hunt. Stood by & looked down the entrance hole. Then called out her kits to nurse. I cold not hear the sound she made. But they poured out in mass group. Kits are weaned @ 5wks old. However, they will continue to suckle. As long as the female remains wet & tolerates their pointy milk teeth. Her den site had 10 exit holes. Most exits I ever seen.

52207025140_41b1dae781_z.jpg

Another den site. This female had 5 kits. Den site only had 1 exit.
What I have found interesting over the years is. A parent will drop their kills at the entrance hole vs any exit hole. I've seen that behavior over & over again.
52209704075_1a7561bdbc_z.jpg

Last edited:
Back