What kind of trap

Mtns2hunt

Need some advice. Struck out last year on Bobcats after killing a nice one year before. Normally I like calling them, but I currently have one crossing a creek on a log.

How would I set a coil spring trap at the end of the log where he steps off? I thought about putting a sanded area at the end of the log to see where he crosses to see exactly where he steps and then later when season starts bury a trap or two. Wondering if I should bait as his nose is down sniffing the whole time. I could not find any reference material on this type of set up. Thanks for any info.

logs across a attract lots of critters to cross so I'd avoid using a snare, I would use a cage trap set just off the trail with visual attractant along with bait

I have never caught a non-target using a properly set bobcat snare. The loop is to small and to high for anything else out there.

Two large nails in the side of the log and 10 gauge wire as a snare support. The loop I use is 5 - 6 inches at 12 inches off the ground or log in your case. (12" from the bottom of the snare loop to the ground.)

A 1/16 inch 7x7 snare with a snare support is all you need. Due to the natural forced trail of a log success is very high.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ToddNElogs across a attract lots of critters to cross so I'd avoid using a snare, I would use a cage trap set just off the trail with visual attractant along with bait

You are correct. I have pictures of squirrels, hawks and a Turkey on that log. I was thinking that may be part of the attraction for the cat.

I tried live traps in same location, no luck. I like the idea of snares because they are light and portable.

I would try to establish a scent post/stratching pad before trapping season using fresh bobcat urine/catnip near the log crossing. Where the soil is good for bedding a coil spring. Than hang a fresh bird wing directly above it when the trap is set. If you can't get the marking post established you can then snare off the log itself as a backup set. It helps with cats to have large brushpiles nearby.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootI would try to establish a scent post/stratching pad before trapping season using fresh bobcat urine/catnip near the log crossing. Where the soil is good for bedding a coil spring. Than hang a fresh bird wing directly above it when the trap is set. If you can't get the marking post established you can then snare off the log itself as a backup set. It helps with cats to have large brushpiles nearby.

I think this is really good advice as the log lends itself to placing a coil spring. The log is situated such that the cat has only a narrow trail to step onto the log. A snare as back up is also good. I had not thought of a scratching post but have placed some Bobcat urine on the log. Unfortunately, the weather has been really hot, humid and rainy that I have not had the chance to check the camera to see if he has returned. Thank you for the information.

I know this is an older post but if you have an established trail that the cat is using, why not make a blind set at the end of the log and just use some guide sticks to put his foot where you want it. Other critters may use the log too and you may end up with a non target but if you use scent, it would seem to me to be an attractor for even more non targets. Just my .02.

I had a double pad catch in a duke 650. They are more of a visual hunter instead of scent. I had a couple 550s out and a couple 650s when I caught my first and only bobcat. Have to get drawn here for a tag. Check your state and local laws on how close or far you can use visual aids and if you can use feathers. We can't have feathers and visual aids within 25 feet of the trap. If you can i your state I would tell you to Hans some directly above the trap about a good 6 to 8 feet in the air. If you can use feathers use fake ones from the craft store or some tinsel or a CD from a piece of fishing line. You could even hang a small stuffed animal or fake bird from the craft store. They also make a little green predator calling devise I want to try next time I get drawn.

Back