243 ammo for putting them down

Crob00

I have shot 3 coyotes this past week and all three have gotten up and took off. Even shot one of them twice tonight. I’m shooting 58 grain Winchester varmint x. I have determined these are the problem. I used to shoot 223 55 grain vmax no problems so not sure what the deal is. Not really worried about the pelt this time of year but would like something that doesn’t blow them up. Any input at this point would help. Thanks!

I use Speer 85 grain BTSP's. Originally worked up the load for deer but it works fabulously on coyotes too. So far no coyotes, or deer, have gotten up and run off. I am sure you can find a more fur friendly bullet but the these haven't torn them up too bad in my experience.

Try the 75gr Vmax. It has been a hammer on coyotes for me.

I went 33-34 coyotes straight without an exit or pelt damage with this load, ranges from 20yds to 450yds. Coyote #35 was a mess, lol.

When I ran out of those, I decided to try the Nosler 55gr B-tip, at about 4,000fps. Very flat shooting, but I had more runners and floppers with that load, so I stopped using it

Having shot lots of coyotes with the .22cal Vmax (40,50,55,60gr.) Nosler Btips, same weights, and then 6mm Btips, 55, 70gr, and Vmax, 75gr., I see differences in how they perform between 22cal and 6mm.

I'm not a fan of the 6mm 55gr Btip, but love it in 22cal;

I'm not a fan of 22cal Vmax (except for the 60gr in a 223wssm), but love the 75gr in the 6mm.

My thoughts on this are for coyotes only. Being able to shoot the same animal, at about the same distances and shot placements, with a wide variety of bullets and calibers, allows for some good comparisons.

Originally Posted By: GCShoot better...

That was my first thoughts, just didn't say it.
rolleyes.gif

243 is really borderline capable of killing coyotes, it is much less capable than any 223. I would recommend going back to the 223 or even step up in performance to the 17HMR. The HMR is solid to about 8-850 if well placed.

Originally Posted By: GCShoot better...
I agree. I believe people tend to rush shots and hit them to far back. Working at a range, I can tell you a lot of people can’t shoot.

My favorite V-max is the 58gr in my 6mm-204at around 3600 fps, never had one get up and walk away. I loaded the 65gr V-max for my buddies 243 and it put them down in spectacular fasion. I sold him the 243 and I couldn't get the 58's to group for him but the 65's were a laser.

I also shoot the 85gr speer but im pushing them about as fast as the 243 can push a 55gr. They are killers! hard to find right now though.

Originally Posted By: Kino M243 is really borderline capable of killing coyotes, it is much less capable than any 223. I would recommend going back to the 223 or even step up in performance to the 17HMR. The HMR is solid to about 8-850 if well placed.

Are you serious?

Most people consider the .243 at the top end and even too much gun for coyotes.

I dont think it's even a debate that a properly placed bullet from a .243 will on paper outperform any bullet from a .223.

Personally I have tried many bullets from a .243 and all have killed. The trick is to fine the bullet that reliably kills without damaging fur. I find the 55gr Sierra Blitzking at 3800fps to be unequivocal when it comes to these standards.

I have no issue with the .223 at all, but if you want dead the .243 is superior barring any human error.

Originally Posted By: Acronin Originally Posted By: Kino M243 is really borderline capable of killing coyotes, it is much less capable than any 223. I would recommend going back to the 223 or even step up in performance to the 17HMR. The HMR is solid to about 8-850 if well placed.

Are you serious?

I dont think it's even a debate that a properly placed bullet from a .243 will on paper outperform any bullet from a .223.

Personally I have tried many bullets from a .243 and all have killed. The trick is to fine the bullet that reliably kills without damaging fur. I find the 55gr Sierra Blitzking at 3800fps to be unequivocal when it comes to these standards.

I have no issue with the .223 at all, but if you want dead the .243 is superior barring any human error.

Absolutely, I have a BSA sweet 17 on my NEF in 17HMR and its child's play until you get past 600 or so then it becomes fun. It requires around 46mils of elevation to get me to 840yards. I've found that the 17gr bullet in my test has a BC of around 820 G1, 402G7.

Its a true hammer and zero fur damage.

The HMR is a butcher's tool. HM2 is more appropriate - when long shots are in the mix. .22 Short for the thick stuff, short range work. Throwing axe gets the job done there too.

I know the internet is full of people that say a sling shot is plenty, but, come on...

- DAA

^^^^ Solid advice right there, I tried the 22 CBS and you have to be concerned about splash wounds though.

I switched to the Aguila's (pronounced "gorilla") and never had an issue since.

Thanks for the advice. I know human error is very possible and I’m going to recheck my zero tomorrow just to make double ding dong sure it’s not that. That coyote that was shot for sure twice could have been hit a third from my hunting partner as we shot at the same time. I know for a fact that the shot I made on it after the chaos was a well placed and executed shot. Was really seeing if anyone else has had experience with that load or what’s worked best for others.

There was a guy here with a 243 shooting 55gr & 58gr bullets at coyotes. He had actual video evidence of "bullet bounce" . His bullets, or the jackets, were actually "bouncing" off coyotes. Maybe you have that?

Any chance you bought his rifle used!?

Either step down to a "bounceless" cartridge like HMR etc. Or step up to a cartridge with enough ft lbs that the bounce alone will kill them without any penetration at all, like the 300 Win Mag. The benefit is NO fur damage if you bounce it correctly.

Originally Posted By: Kino MOriginally Posted By: Acronin Originally Posted By: Kino M243 is really borderline capable of killing coyotes, it is much less capable than any 223. I would recommend going back to the 223 or even step up in performance to the 17HMR. The HMR is solid to about 8-850 if well placed.

Are you serious?

Absolutely, I have a BSA sweet 17 on my NEF in 17HMR and its child's play until you get past 600 or so then it becomes fun. It requires around 46mils of elevation to get me to 840yards. I've found that the 17gr bullet in my test has a BC of around 820 G1, 402G7.

Its a true hammer and zero fur damage.

My bad, should have picked up on sarcasm a long time ago. Ha.

On a more serious note.....If your 243 isn't putting coyotes down without shooting them 2-3 times, its either poor shot placement or wrong bullets. My go-to deer rifle is usually a 243 and it DRT's deer time and time again. I would tend to think its not the scope being off as much as a hurried shot that ends up in the wrong place.

But on another serious note.........I do enjoy the humor. Its been missing here for some time.

Back