All-Around .223 Bullet

TXCOONDOG

My grandson wants to start predator & deer hunting with me. The rifle has a 1:9 twist and looking for a good bullet to use for predators and deer.

These are the powders that I have on hand to use:

Varget, R15, 2200, H332, H4198, and H335.

Thanks in advance.

I have had good luck with the varmint nightmare 55 grain soft point from Midsouth.Shot lots of deer and coyotes as well as a few hogs,the canalure seems to make the bullet hold together better as they penetrate very well.

While the .223 is arguably marginal for deer hunting, it is capable of getting the job done with careful shot placement.

I have used both 55 gr. NBT's and 60 grain Nosler Partition bullets to cull both whitetail does and feral hogs in south Texas. When specifically hunting deer or hogs, I used the NP's, but on more than one occasion, while predator hunting my rifle was loaded with the NBT's and they were always equal to the job, again, with careful shot placement.

I always waited for a frontal neck shot on deer and a side profile between eye and ear on hogs. The only time a 55 gr. NBT failed at the task was a full frontal shot between the eyes of a large boar. I saw that bullet impact through my scope, knocking the boar to the ground but he quickly jumped back up and disappeared back over the rise from which he came. Unfortunately, I did not recover that one and have never tried that shot again w/223. I'm convinced the bullet ricocheted off the sloped forehead, failing to penetrate the skull.

My favorite powder was H335, produced sub 1/2 moa 5 shot groups @ 3140 fps.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996While the .223 is arguably marginal for deer hunting, it is capable of getting the job done with careful shot placement.

I have used both 55 gr. NBT's and 60 grain Nosler Partition bullets to cull both whitetail does and feral hogs in south Texas. When specifically hunting deer or hogs, I used the NP's, but on more than one occasion, while predator hunting my rifle was loaded with the NBT's and they were always equal to the job, again, with careful shot placement.

I always waited for a frontal neck shot on deer and a side profile between eye and ear on hogs. The only time a 55 gr. NBT failed at the task was a full frontal shot between the eyes of a large boar. I saw that bullet impact through my scope, knocking the boar to the ground but he quickly jumped back up and disappeared back over the rise from which he came. Unfortunately, I did not recover that one and have never tried that shot again w/223. I'm convinced the bullet ricocheted off the sloped forehead, failing to penetrate the skull.

My favorite powder was H335, produced sub 1/2 moa 5 shot groups @ 3140 fps.

Regards,
hm

Agreed. Was going through my reloading room and found some Barnes 62Gr TSX bullets so I will work up a load for this deer season. His dad and I are discussing building him a 6.8 SPC II for his birthday next March.

Appreciate the feedback all.

The 60 gr. Nosler Partition is excellent if you can fiddle enough accuracy from it. I have shot coyote, deer and one hog with the Partition with perfect results. I have a friend that uses that for his daughter's youth deer gun and that little girl has killed some impressive bucks with a 16" AR15. I have used the 62 gr. TSX on several deer and assorted varmints. I don't like it as much as the Partition as an all around bullet. The 62 gr. Fusion/Gold Dot is as good as the Partition and more accurate to boot.

The NP is not as accurate as the NBT, but as I recall, (it's been a while since I was able to use an AR on the ranches I hunt), I didn't have a lot of trouble getting MOA from the NP, but that little AR will shoot MOA with just about anything I poke through it.

It won't shoot the TSX, though, but I don't own a single rifle that will shoot decent w/TSX. Must be something I'm doing wrong, because lots of folks love 'em, but life's too short to fight stubborn bullets when there are Sierras and Noslers around.
wink.gif
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootThe 62 gr Trophy bonded bear claw would be a good all rounder.

I don't have experience with that bullet but I would bet that you are correct.

I'm a big fan of the game king bullets. Of course, accuracy comes first & is the biggest part of terminal performance.
You should find a good load with the 55gr Sierra Gk using either the 322 or 335 powders. FWIW, My choice would be 322! I usually get better consistency from it.

Good luck

I'm a big Game King fan also. I use the 65gr and they're my favorite hunting bullet so far. I've got a sweet shooting 53gr TSX load mixed up but I havent taken it hunting.

I use benchmark with the 65gr and H322 with the 53gr, but I HBN lube the bullets and a polytwist black hole weaponry barrel which keeps pressure super low so I can pour in more fast burning powder than I would with other barrels.

I found a 500 ct of the Federal 62 gr Trophy bonded sp for 67$ plus shipping if interested pm me I will give u sellers info. Shipping I believe is usps flat rate.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobBarnes recommends a 1-9" twist or faster barrel for shooting the very long 62 gr TSX bullets.

Yep..says it right on the box, but more than likely won't load them. I bought them on a clearance sale years ago and forgot I had them.

Bought 1k of the trophy bonded bear claws, It shouldn't be hard to find a load for the Model 12 as she has shot everything under MOA thus far....handloads or factory stuff.

Appreciate all the feedback!

Wouldn’t shoot deer with a 223 but I am sure it would get the job done with correct shot placement. I’d go with a 60 grain vmax or Nosler ballistic tip.

Last edited:
223 for deer is a horrible choice.

Another member on here discussed this point with the new solid copper bullets like TSX. Adding weight to the bullet is only going to decrease performance on any animal. The expansion and penetration comes from velocity. I've seen the little 53gr TSX shooting 3330fps from my 16inch BHW shoot through 8 or 10 inches of wet oak, more penetration than anything I've seen beside the old steel core 7.62x39 ammo.

I would expect a 45gr TSX flying as fast as possible to penetrate more and drop a deer faster than the 70gr TSX.

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorWouldn’t shoot deer with a 223 but I am sure it would get the job done with correct shot placement. I’d go with a 60 grain vmax or Nosler ballistic tip.

Understand; your deer are a lot larger than they are down here. I was reluctant to shoot the first deer with the .223; have always been a fan of using enough gun (hunted deer & everything else with a 338 WM for years
smile.gif
). Finally culled a WT doe while coyote hunting w/neck shot and she dropped out of the scope so quickly I wasn't sure she didn't spin back into the brush, but she was DRT. Still reluctant to try a heart/lung shot but that's just me and lots of folks do w/good results.

The BT is a good choice, never tried the Vmax but should work as well.

Regards,
hm

Hard to beat the heavier (60gr plus) soft points for an "overall" bullet capable of doing a good job on hogs, deer, and coyote.

I've killed all three very effectively and my favorite bullet for hunting deer and hogs is the Speer 70gr Semi-Spitzer. A flat out deadly bullet in .223 Rem.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is based from my actual experience shooting things with various 60-64 gr. .223 bullets. I have shot deer and hogs up to about 150 pounds through the chest and never lost an animal. Base of the ear wouldn't matter how big the hog, it's deader than disco. I wouldn't choose the .223 for an expensive out of state guided hunt, but for my general purpose knocking around the woods/defensive rifle it handles things nicely.

Originally Posted By: GCEveryone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is based from my actual experience shooting things with various 60-64 gr. .223 bullets. I have shot deer and hogs up to about 150 pounds through the chest and never lost an animal. Base of the ear wouldn't matter how big the hog, it's deader than disco. I wouldn't choose the .223 for an expensive out of state guided hunt, but for my general purpose knocking around the woods/defensive rifle it handles things nicely.

Lol, to me, Disco was dead in the 70's.. Your right though, the 223 can handle things pretty good with proper placement.
Took a 10 point a few yrs back @ 175 yrds with the 55 GK. Shot thru the heart he ran about 50 yard's. My dedicated deer rifle is a 6mm-06. Pushing a 100 gr speer SPBT bullet @ 3400FPS it is simply bad news! I also use it for long range coyote, but prefer the 85gr speer moving at a nice pace of 3600 FPS. It is however OVER BORE! which was fine when I built it! not so much now.

Back