Light Weight Caller

Mtns2hunt

Been calling for awhile and have had moderate success. Just got my Bobcat back from the taxidermist and he looks awesome. He was 25 lbs with good spots. This is the second cat I have shot and there are plenty more. Problem is some of the country is rough and remote. Lugging a heavy caller is no fun even when accessing areas by bike.

Can some of you recommend a very light weight caller, with good volume and clarity? I hunt the mountains of Virginia and while they are not as tall as some peaks out West much of the ground is very rugged plus the forest is over a million acres. Thank you for any suggestions.

Both no long made but you can still find them.

Minaska M-1 Bandit, compact little call that is great, I still use one when I'm calling with the bow, fits in a pocket.
wZlF4l.jpg

UmGSI4.jpg

Foxpro Scorpion, quite similar to the Minaska, I had one for awhile but don't care to scroll for sound.

Cell phone with Bluetooth speakers, some of the speakers are very compact.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=compact+bluetooth+speakers+wireless&crid=1KXUAARGC5LNV&sprefix=compact+bluetooth+speaker%2Caps%2C375&ref=nb_sb_ss_retrain-deeppltr_4_25

The old JS Attractor, not very loud but called critters. I used to carry one in the game pocket of my hunting coat while bird hunting for those spots that just scream "Call Here".

Last edited:
AWS, thank you for your feedback. I have just been looking for a Minaska but they appear to be a rare breed but a popular caller. I will continue to search for one but may research the Foxpro Scorpion. I have watched a Foxpro video on the Scorpion and it has many features I like and can use. I do wonder how reliable the Foxpro is as I am seeing some posts with negative feedback on several foxpros lately which I have not noticed in the past.

I like the fact that the Scorpion will play different sound files and can take an external speaker.

Whichever one I decide on I will try it out during the upcoming crow season.

Blue tooth on my cell phone might work in a pinch but I do use some mapping apps and would not like to put all my eggs in one basket. Again, thank you for your feedback as it is really appreciated.

Well folks,

It appears that while the Minaska and Fox pro scorpion might work well they appear to be extremely hard to find. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I truly would like to benifit from others experience rather than trial and error. Thanks!

Last edited:
For small&compact, I'd look for a used scorpion unit. May be tough to find as they've been discontinued for some time.

Originally Posted By: crapshootFor small&compact, I'd look for a used scorpion unit. May be tough to find as they've been discontinued for some time.

Yes, I see that it may take awhile. One would think that some of the current production models would fit the bill but most of what I am seeing appear fragile and short lasting. I will continue to look for one of the older models. However, I would welcome more feedback to point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Surprisinly a very inexpensive JS Grim Speaker while a little bulky for the weight is quite light. I bought one to see what a under $100 caller would do, worked well.

https://allpredatorcalls.com/johnny-stew...ackage-special/

JZ51KG.jpg

I have to find where I stored it to weigh it, lots of projects this year and things have gotten disrupted, I can't find it right now.. It only uses 4 AA batteries so that keeps the weight down some

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crapshootI don't know anything about this call but what about ....
FLEXTONE VENGEANCE FLX50 ELECTRONIC GAME CALL

At 1.25 lbs., it may be a contender. I will look at some reviews and see if I can find one locally. Thanks

Originally Posted By: Mtns2huntOriginally Posted By: crapshootI don't know anything about this call but what about ....

At 1.25 lbs., it may be a contender. I will look at some reviews and see if I can find one locally. Thanks

I have found a lightly used Flextone Vengence FL100 game call on ebay for almost nothing. I will try it out as I can return it if it does not work out.

Really any lightweight call with a remote will work as most of my calling is within 50 yards in tight cover. Primary target is Bobcat. I appreciate all the feedback.

I use to use (and really like the sounds ) a Johny Stewert - PM with remote. They no longer make them! But Ive seen a few F.S here & there.

Originally Posted By: crapshootI don't know anything about this call but what about ....

Well I have purchased a Flextone Vengeance FLX100. Nice call, however someone cut off the battery box. Tore it down and found the two cut wires and soldered on extensions. Still testing but main unit is working well. Hand unit takes AAA's of all things. Also battery box for this call is not standard so will need to make up something. Everyone says I am nuts for messing around with junk electronics but you know about 80% of the stuff I work on comes back to life. I think if the handset works this call will work fine for the terrain and the bobcats I plan to hunt. Again thanks for the input.

Back