Savage A17 Mach 2 Suppressed

psdan000

I recently acquired a new Savage A17 in .17 mach 2, I am interested in having it threaded and running a suppressor. Has anyone shot this particular setup suppressed? Should I expect any issues?

Thanks .204, I figured it would be fine but I can't find anywhere where anyone has suppressed this rifle in mach 2 with or without issues. I'm having it threaded now, hopefully have it back in a week or so and I'll try it out.

I’m curious about this as well . I have a Marlin .17m2 I was thinking about having threaded but was told unless I shoot subsonic ammo the benefit would be very minimal.

Originally Posted By: pd1I’m curious about this as well . I have a Marlin .17m2 I was thinking about having threaded but was told unless I shoot subsonic ammo the benefit would be very minimal.

lemme guess... the person who told you that little "fact".... they dont own a suppressor huh?

of course there's benefit to shooting supersonic suppresssed. its the difference between wearing ear plugs and not wearing anything.

will you see the dramatic sound difference you would with subs? of course not, the bullet is gonna break the sound barrier so you're gonna hear the sonic crack. a suppressor doesnt handle that part of the noise.

what it does it make the round going off quieter at the ear, and for others around you.

so yes. rock on and suppress that bad boy. you'll be happy you did.

dont let the naysayers tell you otherwise.

now that i have my can i use it anytime i can, subs or supers. sure the subs are more giggle factor, but it sure is nice to be able to shoot 223 with just foams in when you're plinking too.

Well I was curious enough about this I submitted the question to savage to see what they would say, very interesting response I recieved:

MJ (Savage Arms, Inc)
Apr 28, 2022, 12:08 PM EDT

We haven't tested the firearms with suppressors so we would not have the data to support if it would perform or not with one installed. Threading the barrel would void the warranty of the firearms as well.
Technical Services

Are you serious? Threading the barrel will void the warranty? Gotta say I’m really disappointed with this response.

I got both my mach 2's back today from being threaded and test fired the A17, only shot 30 rounds but didn't have any issues cycling with it suppressed. It's very pleasant to shoot. I was shooting prone off a bipod only at about 60 yards but it seems to be shooting very well, shot a couple ~1/2"-5/8" groups. Will have to spend some time with it this weekend and see what it will do on a bench at 100 yards.

Good to hear, thanks for the update. I was seeing a lot of that ammo for sale last winter, but no rifles.

Originally Posted By: psdan000Well I was curious enough about this I submitted the question to savage to see what they would say, very interesting response I recieved:

MJ (Savage Arms, Inc)
Apr 28, 2022, 12:08 PM EDT

We haven't tested the firearms with suppressors so we would not have the data to support if it would perform or not with one installed. Threading the barrel would void the warranty of the firearms as well.
Technical Services

Are you serious? Threading the barrel will void the warranty? Gotta say I’m really disappointed with this response.

Old hunting partner had a 17 remington that keyhole after a few rounds.
He had. Installed a custom stock and done a trigger job. He contacted remington about the key holing. They said they would look at it but only after returning the gun to it's factory specs at HIS EXPENSE.

So Savages response doesn't surprise me any.

Back