Tip of the Month "Camo"

AWS

Retired PM Staff
It is hard to fault the premise that lack of movement is the best camo of all, BUT I feel a little naked without some sort of camo. I will say that I can't see spending hundreds of dollars on camo. I still have some camo jackets I bought a Walmart 20+ years ago.

Some thoughts on camo.

I don't bother with camo bottom and just wear tan, brown or grey pants. Most of the time my legs are below the line of sight of a predator or the blend in with surrounding dirt, tree trunks or rocks.

I like neutral brown camo, seems to work in everything. Small patterns tend to look like solid colours at a distance.

A ghillie jacket has become my favorite camo. I can wear it over a T-shirt or winter coat eliminating different weights of camo for different season. I have some inexpensive ones I picked up at the Cabella's bargain cave. I tried a knee length but that was impossible with it grabbing on sticks, twigs, thorns and picking up cholla, goat heads, burdock and stick tights.

I like to go cheap on stuff like camo because I keep a set in the truck and a set in the house. I can head out in the truck and have everything I need or leave from the house on the MC and not have to dig something out of the truck.

Last edited:
I'm with you there, I'm cheap on the camo also.

I don't see it mentioned much anymore, but I have buddies that swear by ASAT. Like you said, the old traditional small detailed patterns tend to blend into solid colors at distance. The story goes like, two turkey hunters were walking out of the field, a third drives around to pick them up. One wearing ASAT, the other a more traditional pattern. The driver sees one guy coming out, until they are very close. He asks the other "where did you come from", to find out they were walking together the whole time. The guy in ASAT basically disappeared from a distance.

One reason I like a little snow cover, is I don't think anything is more effective than snow camo in snow. With full whites on I tucked into a bush by my buddies place one time just before he got home. He saw my car, and looked around but couldn't find me. I whistled, he looked some more and still couldn't make me out right away.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARI'm with you there, I'm cheap on the camo also.

I don't see it mentioned much anymore, but I have buddies that swear by ASAT. Like you said, the old traditional small detailed patterns tend to blend into solid colors at distance. The story goes like, two turkey hunters were walking out of the field, a third drives around to pick them up. One wearing ASAT, the other a more traditional pattern. The driver sees one guy coming out, until they are very close. He asks the other "where did you come from", to find out they were walking together the whole time. The guy in ASAT basically disappeared from a distance.

for what ASAT costs... holy crap you better be all but invisible. for just an outer layer pant/jacket combo, its over $500!

im not sayin good gear isnt worth paying extra for & i can understand them swearing buy it if they're willing to invest that kinda $$ for their camo!

but that stuff is anything but budget minded
ohmy.gif

Originally Posted By: Plant.OneOriginally Posted By: 204 ARI'm with you there, I'm cheap on the camo also.

for what ASAT costs... holy crap you better be all but invisible. for just an outer layer pant/jacket combo, its over $500!

im not sayin good gear isnt worth paying extra for & i can understand them swearing buy it if they're willing to invest that kinda $$ for their camo!

but that stuff is anything but budget minded
ohmy.gif

Lol I haven't priced it in years, and there stuff is probably 25 years old now. I know it wasn't cheap back then either.

I get by with sale rack natural gear lol.

Garage sales and thrift stores have been my go to for hunting cloths for years. I try to get them a little big and layer thin wool sweaters under.

Like you, I wear solid colors on the lower, sometimes a faded green or tan. Running pants are extra comfy & warm. I buy them a little large & it's easy to wear extra under them. I most times just wear military jungle camo on top, but always wear gloves, a hat & face mask. I use a back pack to carry all my calling stuff, It is packed with hand calls & one of my 2 E callers.
If packing light, I just ditch the back pack & hang the hand calls around my neck. Since I've got old, thats my prefered way to pack.

Back