22-250

Dark moon 63

I'm in the process of building a 22-250. I have everything except waiting on the barrel. I'm using a 24" McGowen. It sounds like the 22-250 can have cycling issues and feeding issues. I went with the .100 gas port so I should be able to gas it up if I need to. The case taper is very close to the 22 Nosler which I have no problem with. I guess I'm not afraid of a challenge but have any of you guys built one and had good luck with it.

I think over gas is one of the issues.
Feed angle from mag is the other thing that causes misfeeds.
Ar 15 rifle gas tube length is 15". Ar10 is just over 15" like 15&3/8. Gas tube should end in the middle of the cam pin cut out in the roof of the receiver.
I would recommend an adjustable gas block and a heavier buffer.

Last edited:
I do have an adjustable gas block. I opted for the bigger gas port so I could adjust it if I needed to. If I load a 10 round P mag the first 5 or 6 do catch the magazine with the case mouth when I manually slide them forward. I'm thinking a pound bolt and maybe bevel the mouths a little more they should slide past it. Time will tell.

I remember the magazines running a $150-$200 each on these from Alex pro which made me steer clear of the chambering and go the 243 route (2ce) since it shoots just as flat, or flatter, with 55 grainers. I would assume there has to be some fabrication to make it feed and function with just the mags alone. Keep us posted along the way.

Last edited:
I did see the Alex pro for 180 and probably will go that way. I am going to MacGyver 1 10 round mag and take a chain saw file to it and buff off a couple channels for the case neck to clear and see what that does. The thickness of the brass is what's catching.

I put a 243 together in January. I really like the gun but want to try a 22 250 in the AR. If the 22 250 doesn't work out I'll put a 308 barrel on it.

Last edited:
The biggest draw back to the WSSM is brass availability. A buddy has a 243 wssm. I helped him look for brass or factory when availability was good, it took a year to find loaded ammo. He bought 15 boxes for the brass. Last night I loaded a 10 round mag with 22 250 and cycled them through my 243. Didn't let the bolt close but let the bolt hit them fast. It chambered a 22 250 every time. Probably doesn't mean anything but I'm taking it as a good sign.

Originally Posted By: Dark moon 63The biggest draw back to the WSSM is brass availability. A buddy has a 243 wssm. I helped him look for brass or factory when availability was good, it took a year to find loaded ammo. He bought 15 boxes for the brass. Last night I loaded a 10 round mag with 22 250 and cycled them through my 243. Didn't let the bolt close but let the bolt hit them fast. It chambered a 22 250 every time. Probably doesn't mean anything but I'm taking it as a good sign.

If it “really” worked 100% reliable there wouldn’t be expensive proprietary fabricated magazines and there would be 22-250 ARs all over. I would have to guess the 22-250 is a unicorn caliber in an AR for a reason. Imo I wouldn’t think it takes a special magazine either to feed and function.

Last edited:
That's the best thing about an AR. If the 22 250 is a disaster I can order a different caliber and replace the barrel in 20 minutes. I'm determined to make this thing work though. Lol

Originally Posted By: Dark moon 63That's the best thing about an AR. If the 22 250 is a disaster I can order a different caliber and replace the barrel in 20 minutes. I'm determined to make this thing work though. Lol

You can do it!

For your next trick, figure out how to shoe horn it into an ar15 like Oly did. I still kind of kick myself for not snagging one of those.

Originally Posted By: Dultimatpredator

If it “really” worked 100% reliable there wouldn’t be expensive proprietary fabricated magazines and there would be 22-250 ARs all over. I would have to guess the 22-250 is a unicorn caliber in an AR for a reason. Imo I wouldn’t think it takes a special magazine either to feed and function.

If you take a single stack 450 Bushmaster magazine it will run fine in a WSSM. I have a 25 WSSM and it is quite a fun little round.

Greg

Originally Posted By: 204 AR

For your next trick, figure out how to shoe horn it into an ar15 like Oly did. I still kind of kick myself for not snagging one of those.

Start filling that piggy bank.
closedeyes.gif

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: 204 AR

Start filling that piggy bank.
closedeyes.gif

Greg

I know, right?! I recently saw one on GB go for 2700 or so iirc.

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorBear creek Arsenal just announced they will making a 22-250 AR. I’ll be grabbing one when they do.

Interesting. I’ll have to keep up with that to see the details and how it works out.

Back