26 seconds after the sound started, they showed up!

derbyacresbob

On our first calling stand this morning I set up my little Roam Video Camera By my Foxpro XWAVE. I sat down about 20 yards from the Foxpro. I had my shotgun in my lap and my camera in my hands.

I thought I was ready when I started playing Adult Rat Distress. 26 seconds later I found out I wasn't really ready. Two coyotes came charging in from my left and I was trying to take pictures and shoot them with my shotgun.

I was thinking about not shooting my video camera and my XWAVE. That is my excuse for only killing one of the two coyotes.

IMG_0850 by [/url], on Flickr
[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/156463377@N08/62Y53w t=_blank]IMG_0852 - Copy by [/url], on Flickr
[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/156463377@N08/8kZ0f8 t=_blank]IMG_0853 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/156463377@N08/, on Flickr

We ended up getting 4 coyotes, for the day. I will never forget those two coyotes showing up that quickly.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: gunsbam45That's purty fast! Was it cranked up loud or lower volume?

Full blast volume 40!

GOOD info to have there. I've only ever cranked the fusion up full bore for just a short bit a few times at the end of a stand then waited it out 20 minutes or so. The first time I did it I wound the neighbor's dogs up over a mile away downwind.

Originally Posted By: gunsbam45Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: gunsbam45That's purty fast! Was it cranked up loud or lower volume?

Full blast volume 40!

GOOD info to have there. I've only ever cranked the fusion up full bore for just a short bit a few times at the end of a stand then waited it out 20 minutes or so. The first time I did it I wound the neighbor's dogs up over a mile away downwind.

Not all sounds play at the same volume. Adult Rat sound is not nearly as loud as most sounds are. Some sounds are WAY LOUDER than other sounds are. On every calling stand I make, I will use a very loud sound on FULL VOLUME 40, some time during the stand.

If no coyotes show up in the first 6 to 8 minutes of calling, I switch to a very loud sound on full volume for a few minutes or longer. Many times within 2 to 5 minutes after playing the loud sound on full blast a coyote or coyotes show up.

Coyote are not always in a perfect spot to hear sounds played at a low volume. I play all coyote vocal sounds on full volume.

I've had Adult Rat on at least two callers, never tried it. After reading your post, I decided to try it. Buddy and I were walking in to set up (at night), when a coyote spotted us and trotted off. We gave him a few minutes before setting up behind an old barn. I cranked up my Fusion on about 36 volume and Adult Rat. Approx 2 minutes later, a coyote came running in full blast.
Unfortunately our outcome wasn't as good, buddy missed the shot and my running shot also missed. However, thanks to derbyacresbob I did discover a new sound to try. It should be a killer sound on our fresh cut hayfields.

Originally Posted By: nr123I've had Adult Rat on at least two callers, never tried it. After reading your post, I decided to try it.

We have lots of Kangaroo Rats, mice and ground squirrels around here. We probable use Adult Rat sound on 80% of our calling stands. If nothing shows up to Adult Rat sound on full volume after 5 or 6 minutes we switch to a louder sound.

Vole Squeaks is another great sound to try. Vole Squeaks is a great coaxing sound that will bring in coyotes and bobcats that have hung up 300 to 500 yards away.

Last edited:
Great pics, Bob, one mo' time!
thumbup1.gif

Regards,
hm

Great hunt Bob. Always enjoy the way you tell the story in words and in pictures. Your posts are always full of the pertinent information and useful tips. Thanks for taking us along.

Back