Baiting

Thanks to all of you. I hope to put another bait pile one or two on the board as well. Burn, it's about time to whack and stack some of those 4.

Quote:Burn, it's about time to whack and stack some of those 4.

True that DU. I'm hoping to have a meet up with them this Saturday when I get back up to my property. Going to take a couple of extra shooters with me so maybe that'll help if we have those 4 return again.

I can only shoot so fast ya know...
smile.gif

Speaking of baiting, I put a game feeder up there to dispense dry dog food out nightly. Not sure if its working 100% but I'll check it Saturday. Anybody else use a game feeder to sling dog food (or whatever) out for coyotes?

I purchased this one

Game Feeder

If you want to hunt over bait, try putting your bait or meat scraps in a 5 gallon bucket and freezing them solid. Dump the contents at you favorite spot. This will last for weeks during the winter if the temperature stays below freezing and it's too big to haul off

Burn, I have used Ol' Roy dog food with good success, but never with a feeder. It should work well though. I think here the bears would tear it up pretty quickly. The dry dog food seems to work especially well in the summer when they don't need as much meat to stay warm. Some have tried it and done nothing with dry food, but Ol' Roy worked for me pretty well years ago. Worst thing is the rain caused it to swell and mold pretty quickly in the summer.

Keep us posted on the results Burn. I've pretty much had the same results as DU, with the rain and mold, as well as the coon, possums, and skunks just decimating the area before any coyotes would find it. I've often thought about a spin feeder, in fact I have one, but, based on my random samples of dry dog food, have never deployed it.

Thanks, will do BP.

I kind of look at the baiting process this way --- probably spend $50 bucks on 100 pounds of Ol' Roy every 3 or 4 months to feed the coons, possums, and coyotes. The coyotes like to also try to feast on the coons and possums which come in every night. Also, the hound dog likes to get out with me on our morning and evening walks to check the trail cams that let me know what came to visit the night before. Based on that info I can decide if its worth hunting or not, and when hunting, the coons and possums give me an early warning system with the coyotes are near...they take off and head straight up the trees about 80 feet. When I see that, I get ready on the gun for the incoming coyote(s).

I guess it's all become a daily ritual lol

Last edited:

Here’s a bit of technical stuff to share. I have really enjoyed the cell camera over the last two seasons. It has helped me plan my hunts much better, which I feel has increased my coyote numbers. Before the cell camera I would have to go to the farm daily to check cameras, retrieve SD cards and take them home to the computer. Now when a coyote hits the bait I get photos to my iphone, which lets me know, and plan to stay at the shack the following night or two. I can then rebait on the evening I go to hunt and let one trip do it all. The monthly service fee has been well worth it.

Thanks for the techical stuff tip and good way to do it 6.

I put a Eufy security camera on my new bait area up at my range property yesterday so I'll get instant pings when something is spotted. Should be fun and hopefully doesnt get to be too much notifications. The camera is about 80-90 yards from the modem/router and it gets a good signal even at that distance.

It's about 200 yards from the bait pile at my primary property though, and the Eufy camera wont quite get a signal that far. Have thought about the cell cameras like you mentioned, but I'd say I average about 500-600 (sometimes more) pictures a night on my 6 trail cameras around my primary property. It'd probably drive me nuts getting pinged all the time from a cell camera. Carry an IPad with me to download the pics every morning while out checking them. Doesnt take very long.

Had a pair come into the site @ 2:30 am this morning. First activity in about a month. Male was in pretty good shape. Female has bad mange. Glad she's not around anymore.

[img:left][/img]

[img:left][/img]

ECK!!!!!!! She won't be spreading it around anymore-And you saved her PUPS from a lot of suffering ---------CONGRATS ON YOUR KILLS

Ugly dog winner of the month! I'm hoping that mange doesn't get a good grip out here again any time soon. Had one bad one this year but it's been pretty good for several years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 204 ARUgly dog winner of the month! I'm hoping that mange doesn't get a good grip out here again any time soon. Had one bad one this year but it's been pretty good for several years.

Have had a few this winter that I suspected of beginning stages of mange. Fur just had that rough/flat look to it. This one is by far the worst. Hopefully it doesn't get fired up around here again.

I have been fortunate here with no mange. They get pretty scraggly in the summer months as to be expected, but that’s all. I do seem to have a good crop of cripples, though.

I have officially ended my season, so now am looking ahead to Sept. when I will start things back up again. Will bait on and off through the summer to hopefully keep the site active.

My bait pile has not been refreshed in some time and things have been slow. I have a beaver job that should freshen up the pile though. First check is this morning.

However the motion detector on the barn got me out of bed last night. This coyote walked through the horse pasture and ended up in front of another motion detector. He heard the chime and stopped for the shot.

https://vimeo.com/693047623

Will have to have the wife check on the barn cats in the morning.

@burnsome If that dog food feeder works out, I'll have to give it a try. We generally get a lot of rain until July. It wouldn't create more flys around the house and could be a good summer time bait option. Raccoons and especially possums don't get a hall pass around here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wildflightsMy bait pile has not been refreshed in some time and things have been slow. I have a beaver job that should freshen up the pile though. First check is this morning.

However the motion detector on the barn got me out of bed last night. This coyote walked through the horse pasture and ended up in front of another motion detector. He heard the chime and stopped for the shot.

https://vimeo.com/693047623

Will have to have the wife check on the barn cats in the morning.

@burnsome If that dog food feeder works out, I'll have to give it a try. We generally get a lot of rain until July. It wouldn't create more flys around the house and could be a good summer time bait option. Raccoons and especially possums don't get a hall pass around here.

Nice shot WF.

So far the feeder is working. Had to modify the metal spinner/slinger due to the larger size of the dog food (Ol' Roy) as compared to corn which is probably what it is designed around. I'll take pictures next time I go refresh the dog food that'll show you the mod. Basically had to open up the funnel area on the bottom of the feeder to allow more downward flow. The spinner/slinger was binding up around its outer edges due to the dog food size. I cut a couple of slits in the metal flange and bent the edges outward which fixed the binding up and its working quite well.

Back