Baiting

Thanks fellas! Here she is just a few minutes before she came into the yard.

#44b by Double Up, on Flickr

My scope NUC'd just as I shot and then I shot her twice more to get her out of her suffering. Even a coyote deserves a quick death.

06, thanks for the info on the Sierra 75 gr. I have a pile of them for the 6x45, but will use up the Speer first. Sounds like very close in performance.

Nice vid DU, Thanks.

In NC there is season but we can't shoot them 30 minutes after sundown or use electronic calls, so pretty much off limits here. I wouldn't shoot them even if there was a night season and electronic call usage.

Nice job DU.

You never know when they'll show up I guess.

Snagged a picture of these guys from last night. Decided to put a little Ol' Roy dog food about 75 yards uphill from my shooting range. I guess they liked it.

YZn4CPX.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: weekenderFine shooting DU, exit closed.
Burns, Did you put anything on the dog food like grease, or just plain?

Morning Week. Yeah we threw a jar of hamburger/bacon grease on the ground with the dog food. Probably made them go into a frenzy perhaps and might explain why so many showed up.

A buddy of mine hunted them last night sitting over the bait pile. Heard them howling a short distance away but they didnt come to visit while he was out but he cut short at 10pm so maybe they came in after that.

That sure is a bunch of them, Burn. Three in one photo is the most I have seen here, and only once for that. Have seen doubles a few times. Those coyotes most likely will be back soon, especially if they got a good mouthful.

Well, last night I stayed at the shack just for the fun of it. Hadn't seen a coyote since the last one I killed on March 1. Just thought I would enjoy a little quiet time before ending my season, and held out hope that one might return. To help my odds I placed a Foxpro at the bait site and did a few female invitation howls a couple of times during the night. I think it was around 12:30 AM or thereabouts when I did the last sounds. The coyote showed up just shortly after 0400. Not sure if the calling helped or not, but at least one more is on the ground.

I am liking the Rattler really well so far. Seems to be a pretty good scope for the money, and I am finding that the 1.5x magnification works fine for the shorter ranges I shoot. It has held zero ever since I sighted it back in December sometime. I haven't had it out in cold weather for any length of time, but I can't complain about zero.

51953280334_64b6f25c8c_b.jpg

51952972811_56d0cfef54_b.jpg

Outstanding 06, as usual. I know this is the Baiting Forum, but I thought you guys might enjoy me hunt from last night. Here it is.

I killed the biggest male I've ever shot last night. My hunting partner didn't go, so I was all alone. It was a great stand. I saw one before it got really dark on the opposite end of the field from me. I did some prey distress but couldn't get his attention. Then I did 3 howls and still couldn't get his attention. He left going to another field that was deeper than where I was.

My lone howls set off a male behind me, and I mean he was fit to be tied. I'm guessing they were denning in there. In the meantime, I went back to prey distress and a really big bobcat came into the field. I gave him some seriously pitiful prey distress and he just couldn't stand it. He was about to pounce on the call even with the big male coyote raising a furor.

I gave the coyote some challenge howls and that just made him even more angry. The big bobcat didn't like those challenge howls coming from the call and left in a hurry. My wind was so the coyote couldn't smell me. I went to coyote fight sounds, and here he came looking for the intruder. I dropped him at 135 yds. It was one of my most enjoyable stands this year. I mean that big male was going absolutely crazy challenging, and it was good to trick him. One shot DRT. Here is a black hot picture with the Phenom and the video follows below.

#45b by Double Up, on Flickr

Back