Baiting

Good work tj, and a good end to the season. However...don't shut the alarms off yet, those bone piles can really stir stuff up as the temps warm. Unless, you are talking fur quality, then well...
My bait is still buried in snow here. Couple months left for sure, again, unless fur quality dumps, which it will soon with rubs and such. But, I'll keep going, been such an odd, slow year for me, I'll have to keep trying something until the weeds grow up in front of the sensors:)!

Originally Posted By: baitpileGood work tj, and a good end to the season. However...don't shut the alarms off yet, those bone piles can really stir stuff up as the temps warm. Unless, you are talking fur quality, then well...
My bait is still buried in snow here. Couple months left for sure, again, unless fur quality dumps, which it will soon with rubs and such. But, I'll keep going, been such an odd, slow year for me, I'll have to keep trying something until the weeds grow up in front of the sensors:)!

Lol... I say it's done, but if the bones start moving I know what will be next. They've been rubbing here for a month now... not that it matters, haven't sold any this year.

We haven't had but 1 snow this year... that one barely turned ground white. Haven't even got any frost in the ground. Unreal

Got a couple neighbors who want some help around calving pastures. That will last awhile.

Also been kicking a new build/set-up around for next season... Always ways to improve things. I'm happy with 22-204ai combo on the bolt gun. Still working on the Ar version.

Originally Posted By: wildflightsHow often do they spray when hit with a 220?
Rarely is there any significant amount. Generally get just enough to smell it. Believe it or not, but I got a skunk last night. That makes 4 this season. That Conibesr has really worked on the possums, and have taken 4 or 5 raccoons, and 2 bobcats. The 220 is a deadly trap.

Softpoint, No, not this season, just over a period of time. But I do get skunks and possums every season. We seem to be overrun with them.
You can just imagine the damage to wildlife, turkey eggs etc. they are doing, especially the possums.

This may a bit off subject in a sense, but just to show how I control some animals on the farm, specifically possums and skunks.

I built two cubbies. The first one was a bit small, but it still worked well. Later I build a larger one that extended the bait
further out from the trap. I placed a door on one side and a hinged lid to facilitate in setting the trap and removing animals.
I built the cubbies according to state requirements, and to properly fit a 220 Conibear.

51883372262_bfa9e40662_c.jpg

51884343126_33305ac30a_c.jpg

51883372307_1cfc58708c_c.jpg

51884663479_b282997def_c.jpg

51884414573_35ba6b7b4c_c.jpg

49040304512_7259b2e5eb_c.jpg

49040093486_cbe7c5a400_c.jpg

51884664074_3291394dc9_c.jpg

SKUNK

51884208881_167834d4ea_c.jpg

51884856535_b698330795_c.jpg

51884737134_4d65d1c183_c.jpg

51884737119_6161edbcae_c.jpg

49270405413_7b1a929eb2_c.jpg

49271069762_7862e7f0c6_c.jpg

The bobcat was an unintended target, though legal.

51884415743_46800e86b1_c.jpg

51884990010_3dd62681d3_c.jpg

Turns out I lied about my season being over. Was out feeding calves and heard this male challenging my Lab. All kinds of worked up... wish I had video of this one. Challenging so hard his front feet were coming off the ground. Finally he stood still and I got him dropped @ 250 yards, 22-204ai w/53 vmax did the work... just piled up and dropped straight down on the spot.

[img:left][/img]

Very nice tj! Sounds like quite a circus with the lab involved. That's a heck of a shot, was that the R35 at 250? Just shipped mine out today for eval and fix, couldn't hit the side of barn being inside. Hoping there is a fix to it. Back to the digital NV and driving tacks with a couple test subjects. Very frustrating.

Originally Posted By: baitpileVery nice tj! Sounds like quite a circus with the lab involved. That's a heck of a shot, was that the R35 at 250? Just shipped mine out today for eval and fix, couldn't hit the side of barn being inside. Hoping there is a fix to it. Back to the digital NV and driving tacks with a couple test subjects. Very frustrating.

Yes it was with the R35... so far mine has held zero, it's got a issue with shutting down when I shoot, but I'm getting by. Sent a email to Bering to set up getting it checked out. Haven't heard back yet. Hopefully they get you taken care of. Seems to be an issue this year? last year everyone raved about them...

How did you set up to send yours back?

There is a fenceline 250 yards west of my lot. They use that moving back and forth between pastures. Every gun I own is dialed in at that yardage...
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: tj66Originally Posted By: baitpileVery nice tj! Sounds like quite a circus with the lab involved. That's a heck of a shot, was that the R35 at 250? Just shipped mine out today for eval and fix, couldn't hit the side of barn being inside. Hoping there is a fix to it. Back to the digital NV and driving tacks with a couple test subjects. Very frustrating.

Yes it was with the R35... so far mine has held zero, it's got a issue with shutting down when I shoot, but I'm getting by. Sent a email to Bering to set up getting it checked out. Haven't heard back yet. Hopefully they get you taken care of. Seems to be an issue this year? last year everyone raved about them...

There is a fenceline 250 yards west of my lot. They use that moving back and forth between pastures. Every gun I own is dialed in at that yardage...
thumbup1.gif

It has been a joke, absolute joke communicating with Bering. I started last November and never heard from them. Phone calls, emails, nothing. Because of the season, decided to run it and move it around to different rifles for more data. It got so bad missing and wounding animals, I took it off and said no more. Last week I sent an extensive email to Bering, no response. This morning I called and told them to check their emails and please respond to mine with an RMA#. The person I talked with said they would check with somebody else and have them look into it. This was at 8:30 this morning, a call to TX. Finally at 3:30 this afternoon, I got an email with a FedEx label...to CA none the less. It was dropped off with FedEx by 4:00. So, we'll see what happens. Very frustrating.
Put digital NV back on yesterday afternoon, can't miss tonight on several volunteer test subjects at 170 yds. Cheapo $500 Wraith. Hope this helps some...call everyday and stay on them.

Originally Posted By: baitpileOriginally Posted By: tj66Originally Posted By: baitpileVery nice tj! Sounds like quite a circus with the lab involved. That's a heck of a shot, was that the R35 at 250? Just shipped mine out today for eval and fix, couldn't hit the side of barn being inside. Hoping there is a fix to it. Back to the digital NV and driving tacks with a couple test subjects. Very frustrating.

thumbup1.gif

It has been a joke, absolute joke communicating with Bering. I started last November and never heard from them. Phone calls, emails, nothing. Because of the season, decided to run it and move it around to different rifles for more data. It got so bad missing and wounding animals, I took it off and said no more. Last week I sent an extensive email to Bering, no response. This morning I called and told them to check their emails and please respond to mine with an RMA#. The person I talked with said they would check with somebody else and have them look into it. This was at 8:30 this morning, a call to TX. Finally at 3:30 this afternoon, I got an email with a FedEx label...to CA none the less. It was dropped off with FedEx by 4:00. So, we'll see what happens. Very frustrating.
Put digital NV back on yesterday afternoon, can't miss tonight on several volunteer test subjects at 170 yds. Cheapo $500 Wraith. Hope this helps some...call everyday and stay on them.

Guess I will start to heat up the phone line... Hopefully they get you taken care of.

Thanks for the info.

Softpoint, I have never specifically trapped for bobcats. Was surprised when I learned that one would go in such a small opening in the cubby. As to possums though, this has proven to be a very good way to control them. The 220 is deadly.

Originally Posted By: baitpileDoesn't seem your season is over, but picking up speed. Good work. Keep em coming.

Yeah, it's surprising me too right now. Been a strange winter.

Back