Bootleg adjustable bolt carrier group?

1trkyhntr

Opinions, is it worth the upgrade. I do not have an adjustable gas block.
Rifle is .223/.556 with a 16" barrel.

I don't know about that BCG, but there are some really great gas blocks out there, SLR makes a really good one.

Last edited:
If you run a Tubbs spring, fast burning powder, and an H or H2 buffer you will be fine w/o any trickery. It would cycle hard but... Whatever

If you run 1 load, and 1 load only, and want it tuned perfectly, go adjustable gas block and Tubbs spring. Adjust it so the bolt barely locks back on the last round. This makes for one heck of a dedicated, smooth shooting rifle.

If you shoot lots of different ammo, suppressed and unsuppressed, go with the Boot Leg and an OEM buffer spring.

I have the Bootleg. I really prefer rifles designed around the suppressor. Like an 18 inch with a rifle gas system or a 14.5 with a mid length etc.

That being said.... My main Coyote rifle is a 16 inch gun with a carbine length gas system, tuned to one load with an adjustable gas block and a Tubbs spring.

I really did not shoot the boot leg much. It has sat in the cupboard for years now. I remember thinking highly of it. I just bought it for another rifle that no longer exists.

I have a fine tuned AR15 rifle that I shoot one load out of. It has an adjustable gas block. I originally tuned it with Federal ammo 55gr but have since switched to a handload that is 60gr. I did not have to adjust my gas block for the change of load (55gr to 60gr). The 60 gr ammo is not as hot but still works fine.

Because my rifle has an adjustable gas block, it does not function without the suppressor on. I made sure to tune the rifle as such. It has a short barrel and it has significant blowback and you can feel it.

This weekend, I added the Gemtech suppressed BCG and the rifle would not function. I could tell that the gas pressure was lessened. Even the report was quieter with the Gemtech bcg. However, the bolt would not cycle properly. I did not want to retune the gas system with the adjustable gas block.

Note: The only reason that I bought the Gemtech BCG was to reduce gas blowback in my face.

So, I decided to ditch the Gemtech BCG and buy a Griffin Armament C/H that is designed to eliminate blowback. It worked!!!

I would ask yourself: What is the reason to buy a Bootleg BCG? What is the purpose? Depending on what you need, there are other options. I have had very reliable set-ups with adjustable gas blocks. They are the way to go in my book.

TC

Last edited:
I just got my first ever suppressor and I admit that I know next to nothing about AR gas systems or suppressors. But I do think, based on the brass ejection pattern and the increased felt recoil, that my carbine rifle might be over pressured with the suppressor. I'm just looking for whatever the best and easiest option might be to fix that. I can change the BCG, I do not have the know how to change the gas block.
I have just been in contact with a local guy that has agreed to evaluate my rifle. He supposedly is pretty knowledgeable about AR's and suppressors so I will listen to what he has to say on Friday. He did mention a heavier buffer or an adjustable gas block as being options that he might suggest depending on what he sees. He has never used an adjustable BCG. I'll know more after I meet with him. Thanks for all the input so far.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up going with a Superlative Arms adjustable bleed off gas block. That is what the guy that I took my rifle to recommended and he did the swap. It was very easy and after we got it tuned I am pretty satisfied. My rifle shoots softer and the brass is ejecting at about 2:45-2:50 so I think that I am good.
Before the swap the recoil was much harder and the brass was ejecting at 12:30-1:00.
I did not notice any blowback because I am using a thermal scope with a shuttered eye guard.

I run Superlatives on 3 ARs. I like the fact that they can do more than restrict the gas hole, but can also dump excess gas. 4 1/2 turns open is supposed to be wide open port. I was running my 6X6.8 6 1/2 open, so dumping 2 turns. When I put on my can the gun was cycling hard as in to much gas. Ended up backing it out 12 1/2 turns so now I'm dumping 8 turns. Gun is cycling fine now. I was getting worried when setting it because there was only 13 1/2 turns out total. I believe you will be happy with your choose.

I spent one year on this group learning what can I should buy.
I want to thank everyone. The winner was a Specwar 7,62.
22LR to 7,62X51 never a problem with anything.

Back