243 through a 223 can? Banish 223

ChrisLD

Anyone have experience shooting a 243 out of a “223” can? Specifically the banish 223?

I know some guys shoot 243 out of 223 cans without issues and some manufacturers give there blessing to shoot them.

I would not attempt such a thing for a myriad of reasons. However, if you want to try, Ryan H. from Silencer Central would be the man to contact about this issue.

TC

There are other factors than just diameter. Barrel length, cartridge, pressures.

I would definitely consult with the manufacturer first.

While I don't even own a suppressor, I still have a question or two. Why would you want to and what is to be gained by doing it?

I own a Banish 45 (pistol suppressor) and its rated for .300 blk subs on the AR or bolt action platform. It has restrictions and you cannot use supersonic rounds.

Some manufacturers will allow/recommend crossovers but I would never do it without hearing a confirmation straight from the manufacturer. Silencer Central owns the Banish line and a few of their employees are educated on the matter.

I assume a guy would want to maximize his suppressor use but I would just buy a .30 cal can and use it on the .243 instead of buying a .223 can and risking it.

TC

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWhile I don't even own a suppressor, I still have a question or two. Why would you want to and what is to be gained by doing it?

suppressors are not just for subsonic usage.

hearing safety for the shooter alone is enough reason. being polite to those around you is another.

it may not be enough for all guns to be hearing safe, but even wearing disposable foamies in your ears is still better than shooting any firearm with nothing in play. so think of it if nothing else as layered protection for you and those around you.

using a suppressor in conjunction with other wearable ear protection also acts as layered protection for you. think using foamies under muffs for shooting magnums or firearms with muzzle brakes.

additionally hunting supersonic suppressed makes it trickier for your game to know where the shot came from if you need a follow up shot or are trying to take several animals at once. it completely changes the sound signature of the shot even from a short distance away (lets say even 25-50 yds)

now that i have my suppressor, i put it on everything its caliber/pressure suitable for.

hth answer some of your questions
smile.gif

I'm pretty much aware of what the reasons of owning a suppressor are. I just wonder why you would shoot a 243 through a can designed for a 223 and what advantage it would give??

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI'm pretty much aware of what the reasons of owning a suppressor are. I just wonder why you would shoot a 243 through a can designed for a 223 and what advantage it would give??

The only reason I could think of would be if you only had a .22 caliber centerfire suppressor and you wanted to use it on your 243. A 22 cal centerfire suppressor will likely have a hole/bore diameter big enough to allow a .243 size bullet to pass through it without a baffle strike, you'll always want to confirm this with the suppressor manufacturer, but you will want to be certain the threads on the barrel were cut properly and are concentric. A poor threading job can cause a baffle strike because there will be less room for error shooting the larger caliber bullet through it.

I had a similar thought. I have a SIG SRD556 and have considered going the 6mm/223 route. I called SIG tech, was told no. The tech guy said it was only rated for 223 pressure/volume, pretty sure guy wasn't listening, only giving knee jerk response, both are based on same case. And the SIG measures over .310" through the baffles, so has a lot of clearance.

With all of the knowledge imparted here, I would say go for it.
I'm in no way involved with any of the previously mentioned suppressors nor am I an Attorney. If you you do something this dumb and are injured, you are on your own. BTW I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY, DOCTOR or FIREARMS EXPERT!

"You'll shoot you're eye out"

Last edited:
I have a Lane Scorpion 5.56 that I have run 100's of 234 (6mm) rounds thru. When I was first looking for a can all I had was a 243 that Travis at TS Customs was building me. He said call Kory from Lane Inc. After a call with him he said it would not be a problem to run the 6mm thru that can. I cannot speak for the banish but the Lane has worked very well.

Thanks for the input all. I emailed silencer central and the guy that got back to me told me I would need the banish 30 cal can of course I am not sure he has the knowledge to answer my question... or if he couldn’t say.

Does anyone know the name of the company that makes the banish silencer line? I know they make some other cans under there own brand I believe

I doubt any tech is going to tell you its OK to run a larger diameter bullet through a can designed for the 223. Not that it isn't OK or possible to do it. If you blew yourself or the can up you would say "well he said it was OK to do it". Sounds like they'd be opening themselves up to a law suit to me. I still haven't figured out why you want to. To me, it would be smarter to buy a can for a 243 and shoot the 223 through it. But that's just me.

What I think we are seeing is when a manufacturer makes a product for 223, and we ask if can run something else thru it, they almost have to say no, at least out of liability. From what I have been told, common rule of thumb is at least .015" bullet clearance is enough, as long as alignment is good.

I've asked twice, guess it was missed both times....but why do you want to shoot a 6mm bullet through a 223 suppressor? Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI'm pretty much aware of what the reasons of owning a suppressor are. I just wonder why you would shoot a 243 through a can designed for a 223 and what advantage it would give??

sorry typical internet easy to misread situation with a relatively generic question up front.

but thats also why i qualified my answer there at the end with "i put it on every caliber/pressure its suitable for"

just because his can is marketed as a 223/5.56 can doesnt mean it cant crossover (given the relatively minor dia difference of 0.019"), so i cant blame him for searching for the possibility instead of just trying it and then having something tragic happen.

its kind of like 9mm or 45 acp cans that can crossover to 300 blackout subsonic only usage.

cant hate on the guy for exploring possibilities before being forced into dropping another $200 stamp onto the list
smile.gif

Back