Catching live rabbits

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: ChrisLDRabbits don’t survive being stocked. Do some research

i really dont know why they wouldnt?

maybe you can enlighten us?

"Do YoUr ReSeArCh, Do I hAvE tO hAnD iT tO yOu On A sIlVeR pLaTteR? "

grin.gif
grin.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

One thing I've found if an area doesn't hold rabbits there is a reason. I tried to get rabbits into my large wood lot. I built brush piles and tried to plant some cover and food plants. Everytime I saw rabbit tracks in the snow it wasn't a couple days and there was a red spot on the snow, owls and feral cats were the usual culprits. I can see enhancing an existing population but staying from scratch is tough. My work wasn't for naught the existing grouse population saw an increase and not the usually swings in populatios.

There was a study done that showed add in salt to your property will increase rabbit production. It spoke about taking block salt and breaking it and putting it in fence row and around everywhere. Had something to do with reproduction.

Purdue University did a study about 8 years back. they found that putting salt out for the rabbits had a significant positive effect on rabbit populations. the first year had only a minor increase, but the second and subsequent years the rabbit population increase was tremendous. the rabbits didnt have more litters, their litters were larger. the study found that indiana habitat is lacking in salt. and by supplying this needed mineral we actual do have a positive effect on rabbit reproduction. the suggested way of doing it is to use salt cubes. they recommended salt cubes with holes in them.( i have no idea where to get something like that) and to run a wire thru a bunch of them to keep them from being carried off. Purdue also mentioned taking a five gallon bucket and cutting it in half length ways. use something to keep the salt off the ground and put the cut bucket on top of it. this keeps the salt from getting wet and melting into the ground. the ideal situation would suspend the salt off the ground , have a cover to keep the rain from melting it, and be protected from the deer. adding salt to the habitat definately increases the carrying capacity of the area , and can easily be accomplished by anyone. This is a lot older than 8 years but you may try and go to do a Purdue University search. I just copied this and pasted to give you more information.

this information came from the indiana department of natural resources and so naturally they pointed out that it is not legal to use salt to bait deer and you must discontinue this practice 10 days before deer hunting in the area.

Originally Posted By: AWSI think those salt cubes with hole are for threading on a rod in pet/animal cages.

yup.

they can be had at most ag feed supply, fleet farm, etc type stores.

you can probably buy them in many pet stores too, but youre gonna probably pay extra for them there vs at an actual ag store.

just looked and they're on sale at fleet farm for like $0.20 each right now, both salt and mineral

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/champio...t=rabbit%20salt

hth

Originally Posted By: viper the suggested way of doing it is to use salt cubes. they recommended salt cubes with holes in them.( i have no idea where to get something like that) and to run a wire thru a bunch of them to keep them from being carried off. Purdue also mentioned taking a five gallon bucket and cutting it in half length ways. use something to keep the salt off the ground and put the cut bucket on top of it. this keeps the salt from getting wet and melting into the ground. the ideal situation would suspend the salt off the ground , have a cover to keep the rain from melting it, and be protected from the deer.adding salt to the habitat definately increases the carrying capacity of the area , and can easily be accomplished by anyone. This is a lot older than 8 years but you may try and go to do a Purdue University search. I just copied this and pasted to give you more information.

poking a small hole in the top for a peice of wire to suspend it on would work great. a T hanging on a chain (like a tape holder) would make stacking several, and future servicing super easy too.

Electrical-Tape-Holder-T-Chain-Electricians-Style-Tape.jpg

of course its metal so the salt will eat it up eventually, but you should be able to get several seasons out of it, and i cant imagine making something like that would cost more than a buck or two.

or you could suspend them on something like this as well

51Oa+dmFm7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

10 pack is $10 on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VF61LB1/

Some of the studies that I have read also talks about the importance of Sulfer in the salt blocks, I have been buying the 50 lb. blocks from Tractor Supply Company and breaking those up, they seem to be helping. Good Luck Chris

If I wanted rabbits on my place, I would buy some 12x12x24 cage traps. Go where the rabbits are and catch them. Take them home, put them in a rabbit fenced in area for a couple of weeks, water and rabbit food. If they live through it, turn them loose.

Back