Where have all the custom calls gone?

KingDaddy

Been several years since I’ve been active on here but there used to be so many calls to choose from. Now there is only a few. What has happened ?

If you search a bit you will find a thread about it. I think it was the cost of being a vendor became prohibitive for the hobby guys. I probably bought a dozen or more custom calls from here.

The market seemed to dry up too; not nearly as many buyers as there were five years ago. I'm still a sucker for a good hand call, but fewer and fewer new callers are it appears.

Most moved to Facebook because it doesn't cost anything to sell and advertise. Some call makers will still do custom jobs, but the cost is much higher. I used to love seeing the exotic wood calls.

I guess most new hunters have gone to e-calls. I used to post calls here regularly. I remember my record was just a couple min's the longest they'd last was a day or 2 and that was rare. They still sell pretty quick on FaceBook but posting them here they don't generally sell. Everything has gone to pushing buttons... and even at that there are posts of which button (recorded call) are ya'll using this time of year. (What happened to learning from you're own experience???

There are several call makers selling recorded sounds of them using their calls. It's really not hard to call a coyote in. And at that it's much more rewarding to call them in yourself. I carry 2 of my calls (open and closed reed) and do as good or better than anyone with an e-call. My advice is just don't play continually like when you use an e-call. Stop and look around or yes you'll get busted. I'm getting older and sit in a regular height chair (3 legs) with 2 cur dogs tied behind me that'll raise (L) when they see a coyote... they don't sit still, one will stand on his hind feet watching for them. lol I call a short sequence and look around. I usually see the coyotes before my dogs, but even when they see the coyotes 1st I still have time to shoot them. Coyotes will stop and I guess they think the dogs are causing the distress sound? I don't know, and don't care it works lol

When I started out I used electronic calls, I always thought walking out in a field did more harm than good. Walk out 40-50 yards in a field with no cover vs stop at the edge of the field and call. I've never seen any advantage to decoy's. I've seen as many turn and run from them as I've seen come in to them.

Seems like folks that use a hand call think if they don't call something in they're calling wrong... In the same situation if they're using an e-call and don't call something in there wasn't anything there, or they must've pushed the wrong button. Just my 2 cents but it really isn't hard to call a coyote in, a louder sound will reach out there further, that's why I make my calls so loud. I try to make them out of the nicer burls and woods to make them something that will be passed down to your kids. Oh well, I'll get off the box lol

Originally Posted By: TNYotehntrI guess most new hunters have gone to e-calls. I used to post calls here regularly. I remember my record was just a couple min's the longest they'd last was a day or 2 and that was rare. They still sell pretty quick on FaceBook but posting them here they don't generally sell. Everything has gone to pushing buttons... and even at that there are posts of which button (recorded call) are ya'll using this time of year. (What happened to learning from you're own experience???

There are several call makers selling recorded sounds of them using their calls. It's really not hard to call a coyote in. And at that it's much more rewarding to call them in yourself. I carry 2 of my calls (open and closed reed) and do as good or better than anyone with an e-call. My advice is just don't play continually like when you use an e-call. Stop and look around or yes you'll get busted. I'm getting older and sit in a regular height chair (3 legs) with 2 cur dogs tied behind me that'll raise (L) when they see a coyote... they don't sit still, one will stand on his hind feet watching for them. lol I call a short sequence and look around. I usually see the coyotes before my dogs, but even when they see the coyotes 1st I still have time to shoot them. Coyotes will stop and I guess they think the dogs are causing the distress sound? I don't know, and don't care it works lol

When I started out I used electronic calls, I always thought walking out in a field did more harm than good. Walk out 40-50 yards in a field with no cover vs stop at the edge of the field and call. I've never seen any advantage to decoy's. I've seen as many turn and run from them as I've seen come in to them.

Seems like folks that use a hand call think if they don't call something in they're calling wrong... In the same situation if they're using an e-call and don't call something in there wasn't anything there, or they must've pushed the wrong button. Just my 2 cents but it really isn't hard to call a coyote in, a louder sound will reach out there further, that's why I make my calls so loud. I try to make them out of the nicer burls and woods to make them something that will be passed down to your kids. Oh well, I'll get off the box lol

You sir, nailed it!

I have a fairly expensive e call, and 9.5 times of 10 I leave it at home.

I tried decoys, most times the fox/coyote saw it and went the other way. Now they’re in a tote collecting dust.

I also agree on walking out to place a call, just end up spreading that much more scent and putting yourself in the open for longer.

Does it work for some or even most, sure it does. Is killing a coyote over an e call as rewarding as killing one you called in with a custom made one of a kind hand call with the emotions and sequence you yourself applied to it? To me it’s no comparison. One day my son will get all my hand calls, I’m sure they’ll have more stories and memories than a remote control stereo that’s already outdated really by the time they hit the shelf. Not knocking them, again I own one, just my opinion.

You nailed it bud.
I have had a few e callers. Still have one.
I’ll never forget the first coyote I ever called in. It was with a randy Anderson open reed distress call. Also called my first double in with that very call. I agree it is much more rewarding calling the animal in with a mouth blown call. I remember taking my calls to work with me and practicing them when I had a chance to. I remember recording myself and then playing it back to see if it sounded authentic.

Sure miss seeing all of the traffic on here. Used to be a happening place.
Hadn’t been on here in a few years. Sure was sad to see what’s become of it.

The Foxpro is handy and all but I have a 5 piece set of spalted maple calls made for me by Kerry Carver. I keep one in my pocket during deer season and use the set during the winter months.
I also have a 2 piece open and closed reed set from TNYotehntr made out of cherry wood with a buffalo horn bell and hippo ivory. These are a true work of art and all will be passed on to my grandsons when I retire from the game.
It is a privilege to own such custom products made by men who hunt with their own calls and value their craft.
Sixguns

I really wish the cost for being a vendor wasn’t so high. I like to make calls, but it isn’t a real business for me, just a hobby. I don’t charge high prices. I would have to sell at least a half dozen calls, probably more, just to break even on here. Then that many more to make a little bit of money. I would love to post calls up for sale on here because I remember the heyday of the custom call forums. If I remember right part of the reason for the increased fee was to slow the forum down some. At least it said something like that in the explanation. In light of the information above it seems like now might be the time to cut that fee back down some again to open it up for hobbyists. I don’t mind paying a fee, but the one in place is prohibitive for a guy who makes a couple dozen a year.

Originally Posted By: ultramagGood call makers draw people to the site,that should be payment enough.

As someone currently going through the process I can say that the admins are listening and we should be getting callmakers back soon

Back