January 2022

Originally Posted By: fratriOh, thats too bad, no coyotes
frown.gif

Sure looks like a workout for sure.....
Thanks for sharing what you got to go through to get into some spots.... We are lucky down here, so far only a couple of inches of snow
I was on the road yesterday and 45 minutes south of here I would have been able to drive through any field or back roads. We really got a dump of snow here making where I hunt a challenge.

Originally Posted By: limbhanger10...Thanks for taking us along so far...beautiful country
I do enjoy the countryside, unless I have a snow shovel in my hands. It loses its appeal rather quickly then
smile.gif

Haven’t been out for awhile but with the weather warming up considerably, it was a treat to be out.
I hadn’t been down to the creek valley yet this season, so that was the plan of where I would head.
Parked the truck and was in the process of walking down a tractor trail when I see a coyote cut across the same trail a couple hundred yards west of me. The coyote never noticed me and its attention seemed to be focused to the west. There was a round bale a few feet in front of me, so I quickly got behind it before pulling out the binoculars to investigate the activities to the west.
Three coyotes came out from a row of round bales and met the single on the trail. I watch the group of now four coyotes start trotting down the trail and I just know it will be away from me but they proved me wrong. Sometimes luck is on a guys side and it was proving so, as I watched the coyotes close the distance. At roughly 100 yards I stopped the lead coyote with a bark and a 64 gr. hollow point put an abrupt stop to its easterly travels.
No shots at the other three.

Continued my travels to the creek valley and what I see is very encouraging to say the least. A group of 4 coyotes are mingling down by the creek channel and I can see three singles laying on different hill tops. Using the lay of the land, I knew I could make a sneak on the one coyote as I have in past hunts and I put the plan into motion. No sneak peaks before getting to a rock pile where I would set up. Using the rock pile to hide my final approach was rewarded with the sight of the coyote still laying on the hilltop. I never ranged the coyote as I knew it was under 200 yards and proceeded to put cross hairs on fur. Once again a 64 gr. HP finds its mark and coyote number two is added to the morning total.
My view of the valley from the rock pile

Coyote #2

Never did see the group of four but the other two singles slowing trotted off to the safety of the bushes. I then caught movement between me and the downed coyote and here is a bonus coyote standing roughly 125 yards away and looking at its fallen brethren. Cross hairs placed on its chest and with a touch of the trigger, the coyote count is now three for the morning.

I had plans of calling but figured to leave that for another time. If the wind direction is right next weekend, I know where I will be heading.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lockrotorCongrats on a 3 dog morning. They look good.
Every coyote I seen that morning was decent.That was a nice change!
Originally Posted By: todbartellgood work Snowshoes! Yesterday I was enjoying the return trip in my snowshoe trail after a couple more dud stands.
When it warmed up a few days back, I went out and packed a few walking trails with the snowmobile. Last night we had a blizzard here and likely those trails are now buried.
Originally Posted By: borkon[beeep]!, that terrain just SCREAMS coyotes.
Many others hunting your area?

One guy is snaring in the area and a couple others are hunting but they don't like to get too far from their truck. I'm the only one that has permission on this property though.

Beautiful pictures.

It's been a complete nightmare here in Maine 2022 so far. Everyday has been frigid cold with unrelenting wind.

2 fox so far that were at my bait spot, no coyotes yet.

Havent been out night hunting simply because of the cold and wind.

Originally Posted By: CampowerBeautiful pictures.

It's been a complete nightmare here in Maine 2022 so far. Everyday has been frigid cold with unrelenting wind.

2 fox so far that were at my bait spot, no coyotes yet.

Havent been out night hunting simply because of the cold and wind.
Thank you Campower

Our weather has been all over the map this last while also. Last week the winds varied from basically nil one day to gust of 50 mph the next. Temperatures varied also from 41*F to -24*F and to just top things off, snow and wind caused extreme white conditions the one night and then raining hard two nights later.

Just a heads up, there won’t likely be a February thread as I sold my truck ( the dealership made an offer I couldn’t refuse) and I’m not confident I’ll find another hunting rig anytime real soon.
My wife said her Camry is not an option for temporary use
smile.gif

Ha Ha, I once put a road kill coyote in my wife trunk. Won't be doing that again. The job site was shut down today because of temps. Went out last night -15 with -28 wind chill. Saw 1 fox and had some vocal responce only. Been a tough year so far as for seeing coyote. Stay warm and keep looking for a new truck.

Back