Quiet Power

wicka

So your outside city limits but have neighbors fairly close and you have been asked to dispatch rock chucks that are in a rock retaining wall and your shooting 20-25 yds max. No trapping. No houses in back bround. Trying to do it quietly what would be better for the chucks choosing between these 2 a 40 gn Quiet 22lr 710 fps or 29 gn 22 short 830 fps. I know a silencer would be great but I'm still waiting on mine now going on 8 months.

Last edited:
The cz model with a 28” barrel is the best I have found short of a suppressor.

Oops, sorry that wasn’t an option. I think youll get run offs with either. Ive used the 40 gr quiets a lot.

Now if you really want quiet and can hit your target try Aguila 22 Super Colibri 590 fps and 16 lbs. of energy will kill what you're shooting , this is what you really want. Head shots only.

Last edited:
Can’t remember the name but those subsonic that split into three pieces should do the job for you. I have a can, so almost anything works but I do generally believe heavier the better

It wasn't one of your options but something to consider would be a nice PCP air rifle in .177 or 22 cal. Powerful, quiet and very fun to shoot. After the chucks are gone you still have a fun rifle for dispatching critters and letting the young ones have a fun rifle to shoot as well.

Originally Posted By: wickaSo your outside city limits but have neighbors fairly close and you have been asked to dispatch rock chucks that are in a rock retaining wall and your shooting 20-25 yds max. No trapping. No houses in back bround. Trying to do it quietly what would be better for the chucks choosing between these 2 a 40 gn Quiet 22lr 710 fps or 29 gn 22 short 830 fps. I know a silencer would be great but I'm still waiting on mine now going on 8 months.

A 22 pellet gun

if you have to use the rimfire, the 40gr 710 will be quieter for sure.

if your can shows up and 300blk is an option... especially out of a bolt or single shot (these will not cycle an AR)

get some .309 90gr xtp's (hornady #31000) and load them subsonic with trail boss. somewhere about 4.5 grains should be what you're looking for. bell the case mouth just a bit like if you were loading plated/powder coated lead. oal range 1.740-1.750".

its an XTP - so its got a stubby cylinder of a base and then just a short tapered nose to the HP. beauty is being an XTP - it opens up down to like 800 FPS . so at 1020fps mv.... its a very nice solid satisfying *thwap* when they hit something.

75 yds = 904 fps and 163 ft/lbs.
your 25yd rock wall = 975 FPS & 190 ft/lbs

zeroed at 68 yds - 1" high @ 25 yds, 1¼" high @ 50 yds, 1" low @75 yds.

big seller - its Hollywood quiet run suppressed.

i've got a half dozen giggle factor quiet subsonic loads for my CVA scout with trail boss. its my go-to powder if i want silly quiet. the 90 xtp is just one of them, and happens to be a great critter dispatcher for semi-urban environments or around livestock. the projectile performs excelent at the subsonic velocity range, and requires no modification to fire it out of a blackout (although if you want to, running them thru a .308 bullet sizing die wont hurt them and make seating just a smidge easier).

if you're not familiar with working with trailboss, they've got a handy document for load development thats crazy simple to use. so lots of options with a ton of calibers.

https://imrpowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/trail-boss-reduced-loads-r_p.pdf

hth

Long barrels make a difference. I'd use the CCI segmented hollow points @ 1,050 fps. They've got enough oomph to get it done and are reasonably quiet out of my 24" barrel.

Back