Newbie calls question

Trod1821

Prepping to go out for my first time this weekend.

I have an x2s that has numerous calls. I think I’ll stick with the stock sounds for now.

Any recommendations on sounds for this time of year?

I’m assuming the “time of year/seasons” play a little role in which sounds to use.

Will you point me to some (a lot) literature on the different seasons and calls that work best?

I have came Accross a few different articles, but looking for something you guys recommend.

I’m in west central Illinois.

Thanks.

Specific sounds are pretty guarded info and I honestly understand.

I can tell you that distress sounds kill all year long and don't be afraid to use different animals that are not even in your area! I killed boatloads with jackrabbit sounds in Indiana,Kentucky and Illinois.

Next month vocals will work really well but they also work all year long.

The best tip I can give you is try something and if it doesn't work try something different because animals respond differently from day to day.

Originally Posted By: Kino MSpecific sounds are pretty guarded info and I honestly understand.

I can tell you that distress sounds kill all year long and don't be afraid to use different animals that are not even in your area! I killed boatloads with jackrabbit sounds in Indiana,Kentucky and Illinois.

Next month vocals will work really well but they also work all year long.

The best tip I can give you is try something and if it doesn't work try something different because animals respond differently from day to day.

Thank you for that. I’m stoked. I got 2 places maybe 3 to try so far!

Every sound on your call will work sometime,someplace under the right conditions.As said above I too have called some in with jackrabbit and there are none where I hunt.

Originally Posted By: Terry LightleEvery sound on your call will work sometime,someplace under the right conditions.As said above I too have called some in with jackrabbit and there are none where I hunt.

Thank you! I need to get my butt out there and figure out what works!!!

The amount of extra sounds online is insane. And then $7 for a sound?!? Maybe once I figure out which ones work I’ll pull the trigger on a sound pack.

Purchasing sounds aren't going to do any more than the ones you have. First of all you don't have much area to hunt, the price of the calls would be better put into gas for gaining permission or finding public grounds that have coyotes. You can't call the same ground over and over even if you change sounds, you can get away with it couple of times. There are times I think coyotes will hear white noise that we can't hear and understand that no matter what sound you're playing they will get to know the caller. This is an unscientific observation. If I call an area that is called alot I find changing callers will evoke responses better than changing sounds.

The e-caller is a very small part of coyote hunting, many hunters do better with a mouth call than an e-caller, you can screw up with a mouthcall also.

Take your focus off the caller and put it into stand selection, how to act getting to and on the stand and finding more land to hunt, these are the things that put coyotes on the stretcher.

Originally Posted By: AWSPurchasing sounds aren't going to do any more than the ones you have. First of all you don't have much area to hunt, the price of the calls would be better put into gas for gaining permission or finding public grounds that have coyotes. You can't call the same ground over and over even if you change sounds, you can get away with it couple of times. There are times I think coyotes will hear white noise that we can't hear and understand that no matter what sound you're playing they will get to know the caller. This is an unscientific observation. If I call an area that is called alot I find changing callers will evoke responses better than changing sounds.

The e-caller is a very small part of coyote hunting, many hunters do better with a mouth call than an e-caller, you can screw up with a mouthcall also.

Take your focus off the caller and put it into stand selection, how to act getting to and on the stand and finding more land to hunt, these are the things that put coyotes on the stretcher.

Thank you for that advice.

Once I don’t have 3’ snow drifts to plow just to leave my house and it’s above 20 degrees I plan on driving around and knocking on doors, asking permission to hunt. Wont be driving any vehicle on their property, won’t leave any trash or shells.

Any other pointers for asking permission?

I seem to have bad luck and have only asked 2. I was asking to deer hunt. They both have family that hunts it.

Thanks

When asking for coyote permission be sure you let them know it is for coyotes ONLY and you won't be hunting their land until deer or any other hunting they do is over. You might want to ask them if they want you to call when your going to be there and let them know what you ar going to be driving.

Last edited:
AWS is giving great advice in both of his above replies.

I have quite a few ranches that I have been calling coyotes on for over ten years, 2 of them I started calling in the 1990's.

I have never gone on any of these properties without asking for permission before I go out to hunt their property.

Many landowners that do give you permission to hunt are only giving YOU the permission to hunt. If you take somebody with you or are asking to take other people with you quite often it may not go over very well with the landowner.

Many ranchers and farmers really like it if you offer to help them do some work, when they need some help.

On two of the family ranches, I hunt on, I go out and help them brand calves every year. Most of the time I have enough daylight to do 2 or 3 Coyote calling stands before and after we are doing the branding, on those workdays.

Last edited:
Back