Is the 17 WSM here to stay?

I remember back a few years after the WSM line came out, and all of the 300 WM fans predicted the WSM line would fade into obscurity. OK, so maybe the 7mm WSM and 325 WSM are holding on by a thread, but the 300 WSM, and the 270 WSM, are here to stay.

I predict the 17 WSM is also here to stay...unless someone comes out with a better faster rimfire cartridge. The issue with the 17 WSM is in order to get a decent shooting rifle, one has to spend more that the typical rimfire rifle cost to get a decent shooting rifle. If someone sold something like the ubiquitous Ruger 10/22 in 17 WSM, and it shot minute of soda can, that would cement the future of the cartridge. Even a cheaper Savage BMag needs upgrades to get it to minute of soda can, in most cases. As an example, I won my Bmag, HB SS 17 WSM rifle at a DU Banquet. But to get it to shoot decent groups, I purchased a Boyds gray laminate thumbhole stock, and a picatinney rail scope mount, to help stiffen the action, and a few other tweaks. Now I can shoot marauding house sparrows, off my bluebird houses, at 100 yards, but if a factory gun did that, out of the box for $300-$400, there would be no speculation of the cartridge's future. But with that said, I have a life time of 17 WSM ammo hoarded away, just in case my crystal ball is lying to me.
lol.gif

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: SqueezeThe issue with the 17 WSM is in order to get a decent shooting rifle, one has to spend more that the typical rimfire rifle cost to get a decent shooting rifle. If someone sold something like the ubiquitous Ruger 10/22 in 17 WSM, and it shot minute of soda can, that would cement the future of the cartridge.

We have a BMAG, which I hate. I love the .17 WSM though, so I shoot the rifle. But you're absolutely right, if one of the bigs would make a decent shooting reasonably priced rifle I think they'd sell the heck out of them. If Ruger chambered the American for .17 WSM today, I'd go buy at least one tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: DesertRam If Ruger chambered the American for .17 WSM today, I'd go buy at least one tomorrow.

I've already said it in this thread, but I agree. For the life of me I don't understand why they don't do it. They already have a good magazine design which is half of the battle. Maybe they are worried that a RAR wsm would cannibalize their 77/17 sales? I doubt that because 90% of the people that aren't buying 77/17's are just buying Bmags, it's a different market. Just like how they make both a Ranch and a Gunsight Scout in .450 Bushmaster, one is twice the price of the other because they are marketed towards different buyers.
A Ruger American in .17wsm that was accurate would obsolete the Bmag overnight. I refuse to buy a Bmag, and I refuse to buy a 77/17 and then pay to have it threaded only to find out that a RAR in .17wsm is being released 4 months later.

It's been awhile since anyone has commented on the 17 wsm. Currently, I am on my 4th. Started with a B-mag, then a Franklin AR-17, next a Ruger and now a Volquartsen. They all shot about the same, and it never made much difference which ammo I used. Prior to the WSM, I went thru 4, 17 HMRs. I shoot lots of prairie dogs and using a cartridge that I don't have to reload was a bonus. The downfall of the 17 HMR was the lack of range and knock down power. Longest shots were approximately 150 yards on calm days. The only positive aspect of the round was that it was relatively quiet. However, wind drift was a major factor with the 17 gr pellet. Now the 17 WSM has nearly double the range, and much more energy. I have taken prairie dogs at 300 yards, with little wind drift. Let me also mention that each of the guns mentioned had a 6.5x20 Leupold scope mounted on it, and I use a range finder. Also, shoot off a bench with sandbags. My biggest concern at this time is that people are going to give up on the little varmint round. This is and will always be a great varmint round. I've shot several coyotes with the 17 WSM, but I'm aware that bullet placement is critical. I hope more people get behind this excellent caliber.

I love my little 17 HMR Savage 93R17 GV. It was stacking P-dogs on the mounds last summer. Once the 50-125 range was cleaned out out came the 20 Practicals and we went way out with those. The 17 HMR definitely has a nitch and the 17 WSM would extend that nitch out a little further. I hope both the 17 HMR and the 17 WSM sticks around for a long time. Great "fun" rounds and perfect for those young ones that want to tag along with dad or G-pa. I think the Grandson might have to beg to get it away from G-pa.

I will take the non-thumbhole version please and make that ASAP. If it is accurate like my other A17 it will be a blast to have. It would make a great cat gun, coon calling gun, and plinker. I hope it's a legit thing. I wish they would have done the American rimfire instead, but I will take it.

Thanks
Jon

I just went to Savage's site and they have released information about their two new A17 rifles in 17 WSM. I have owned four different 17 WSM rifles, but I too am interested in this new offering. This should help to keep ammo available.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOne and done for me. Sold mine and don't see much need for another. Nothing against them but nothing for them either.

i actually really like the 17wsm. and finally after 3 different savage rifles i got one that is pretty damm accurate.

i like the power it has and leaving the fired brass where it lands is also a plus.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: pyscodogOne and done for me. Sold mine and don't see much need for another. Nothing against them but nothing for them either.

i actually really like the 17wsm. and finally after 3 different savage rifles i got one that is pretty damm accurate.

i like the power it has and leaving the fired brass where it lands is also a plus.

Which ones have you tried and what was the one that you ended up with. Mine was a SS Heavy barrel. I tried several different things, even a Boyd's stock, but accuracy was just so-so.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: pyscodogOne and done for me. Sold mine and don't see much need for another. Nothing against them but nothing for them either.

Which ones have you tried and what was the one that you ended up with. Mine was a SS Heavy barrel. I tried several different things, even a Boyd's stock, but accuracy was just so-so.

all have been in the flimsy azz plastic stock.
#1 was a regular barrel. shot rounds in about a 5" circle
#2 was a heavy barrel. this one was twice as good as the first one but still not good.
#3 is a a heavy stainless. will keep bullets around an inch and half. only thing i have done to it is lighten the trigger.

Last edited:
Maybe mine shot better than I thought it did. Sometimes, well most of the time, I think rifles should shoot better than they do. Seems I think they should all shoot tiny little groups. Its slowly sinking in that all guns aren't created equal. You get spoiled shooting accurate rifles then when a rifle comes along that won't cut holes, you think its a POS when all along its doing all its meant to do. Maybe when the new A17's come out I'll give one another try. Other than busting pond turtles, I still don't know what I would do with it. But....busting pond turtles is fun.

ya know, maybe it shoots better than i said. i really dont remember. been a long, long time since i put it on paper. i will see if i still have some shot targets laying around.

Ever since hearing about the 17WSM, I've wished it would have been
20WSM, picking up where Remington dropped the ball. And even though I'm
a Savage fan, they could have done a LOT better job with their first
rifle attempt....certainly not a good way to introduce a new round to
the consumer.

Back