~Bering Optics Phenom 640~

Chance Doane

I received my thermal scanner or monocular last weekend and have used it every night for the last 4 nights on my calling stands. The Bering Optics Phenom 640 is going to be a absolute Game changer for me. I love this scanner so far. I need some kind of stick for the 1/4 thread to hold this thing all night when glassing for incoming Coyotes. Thanks Bering Optics for a Wonderful Product!

This is what I use. This also has a battery in the handle which doubles the runtime if you want to charge the Phenom. The one thing I don't love about this selfie stick is it doesn't have a locking mechanism. Just about any selfie stick will do but just make sure they it has a 1/4" tripod option on the end.

If you don't want to use the tripod screw everytime you connect and disconnect, you can use an arca swiss like this or like this. You keep the plate on the Phenom and the clamp on the selfie stick and it makes connecting and disconnecting super easy.

Yes the lens cover is my only gripe with the Phenom. It's hard to get on with bare fingers and near impossible with gloves. Also comes off very easy. Korey thanks for the heads up on the arca mount. I got the selfie stick and the threaded part is not very robust. The mount will work better I'll probably lock tite it to the stick

I hope it fits. I'm using a Dark Night Outdoors focus ring extension on mine. It may get in the way. I like it because you could focus your Phenom with boxing gloves on. We'll see when it arrives.

Originally Posted By: Chance DoaneI also would like to find a different lens cover for the objective lens
I cut the cheap azz cover off and put on a Butler Creek flip up lens cover.

It was one of a bunch I had left over from various long gone scopes, so I can't give you the exact model size.

I drilled a hole through a pvc cap then threaded a 1/4” bolt through it. Then I filled the cap with epoxy. Let it set up. Then attached about an 8” piece of pvc to the cap and drilled a hole through the top. This is where I put my extra battery. Run the cable through the drilled hole and up to scanner. Then put another cap on the bottom of the pvc to hold battery in. Makes scanning less fatigueing as well having the long handle. And keeps you warmer not having your arm extended so far

Last edited:
brockel, I like people who McGyver stuff. This works pretty good and includes a battery, handle, and selfie stick for under $17 shipped. My only grip is if extended, it doesn't lock into position but either does a PVC pipe.

Selfie Stick

For how many I have helped Sabrent sell, they should send me a lifetime supply of these things.

I like the endcap DU listed. For those that want a Butler Creek style, I had posted about these in the past here. Also, I have been told the Vortex Defender #40 works also.

Originally Posted By: Chance DoaneWhat size end cap? 40mm? Opticron Rubber Objective Lens Covers 42mm OG S Pair fits models with Outer Diameter 48~50mm

Back