Illinois captive-night hunting-how to be “quiet”

Trod1821

Slowly getting into coyote hunting. I live in Illinois so have 0 chance of getting a suppressor.

I would like to night hunt at some point. But not sure what the locals will do if I start letting loose at 3 am.

What is my best option to be as quite (shooting) as legally possible?

I have 2 223 ar15’s and a 308 ar10.

Is it worth setting up a 300 black out setup?

Or, skip even asking this, and carry on?

Thanks

Tony

Last edited:
223 is much better than a 300 blackout for coyote hunting. If you don’t want the neighbors to hear you shoot don’t shoot toward their house or set up real close to the house. The majority of the sound follows the direction of the bullet. I’ve hunted with no suppressor at night for several years now and never had an issue being too noisy to wake someone up. Just my experience. Good luck.

223 would be a good caliber but I would definitely think about a longer barrel, they are quite a bit quieter than say 16" and 18" guns....

Ok. Thanks guys. Probably a stupid question…..but by adding a kx5 does that help at all with noise? I know the kx5 is 3” long. So, “ballistically speaking” idk if that counts as adding that much length to a barrel?

Last edited:
1. Make sure you are not trespassing.
2. Make sure you are 300 yards from a dwelling and off of any right away.
3. Follow the other laws.
4. Let er rip chip! Just make sure you have a good ammo source cuz some stands take a mag or two!
thumbup.gif

I worry more about how my cycles and how it holds zero vs. how loud it is.

If anybody complains tell em you would love to be quieter but Illinois law makes you a criminal if you put a muffler on your gun. Give em their state rep. and senators phone #.

Last edited:
It’s winter, the windows are closed and the televisions are on. I don’t hunt past 10 usually so don’t worry about noise. My properties know when I’m there and don’t care. I’ve asked after shooting a mag full and no one said they heard anything.

I'll throw this out there if you reload. There is good information for use of Blue Dot powder in 223. It's a magnum pistol/shotgun powder so burns quickly. It will not cycle the AR, but it will be quiet (think 22 magnum) & still produce well over 2000 fps with 50-69 gr bullets. Used it with a 50Vmax in a 223 bolt gun for a coworker that had a coyote coming around every morning when let her beagle out. Houses nearby, didn't want a lot of commotion at 7am. Dropped it in it's tracks.

Originally Posted By: JerryriggedI'll throw this out there if you reload. There is good information for use of Blue Dot powder in 223. It's a magnum pistol/shotgun powder so burns quickly. It will not cycle the AR, but it will be quiet (think 22 magnum) & still produce well over 2000 fps with 50-69 gr bullets. Used it with a 50Vmax in a 223 bolt gun for a coworker that had a coyote coming around every morning when let her beagle out. Houses nearby, didn't want a lot of commotion at 7am. Dropped it in it's tracks.

Interesting. Not ideal, but perfect for eliminating that pesky in town nuisance animal.

I probably have 10 neighbors in a 1 mile radius of me. But beyond that Theres a half course with a a couple hundred houses. Most of them hunt and fish [beeep].

Just trying to find a way to be as respectful and courteous as possible. While being under communist rule (IL: pritzker, and the Sh**birds before him) have created.

I live right on il/ia border. I actually work in Iowa which makes it even more painstaking to have suppressors legal by just driving a small distance……in the same country……..oh well.

Last edited:
I have also used Blue Dot powder ,as Jerryrigged has used, and very happy with it. Probably shoot more lower power loads now than full power loads. Good Shooting, Chris

If it is ag land and dryer/bin fans are running I doubt anyone in a house would hear a 223. We would have hounds treeing raccoon near houses in the fall/winter and the fans would drown out the barking and shots.

Back