December 2021

Great reads, as always! Thanks for posting all of this, much appreciated and very interesting.

Keep it up.

What’s the total for the year?

And if you don’t mind me asking, what’s your total lifetime number of coyotes killed?

Originally Posted By: emptymagGreat reads, as always! Thanks for posting all of this, much appreciated and very interesting.

Keep it up.

What’s the total for the year?

And if you don’t mind me asking, what’s your total lifetime number of coyotes killed?

Thank you emptymag for the comments
My total for this fall (to date) is 19. A late start due to warm conditions for most of November. The coyote numbers in some of the prime areas I use to frequent are down due to various reasons. That and I'm not hunting as hard as I used to. I'll go out and do a set or two which keeps my interest up. The all morning or all day coyote hunts have become a thing of the past. I still enjoy going out but I'm not quite as dedicated anymore. ( It could be an age thing also
smile.gif
)

As far as grand total for coyotes harvested, I went back to page 34 and copied and pasted this post. I posted it on Wiley E Coyote post.
This was from March 04 2015:
Snowshoes Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Central Alberta
I wish I would have kept track of the coyote numbers over the years
I have kept track since the 2002/2003 season when the Predator Hunt Canada site first appeared (gone now) and I'm sitting at 936 now. What I shot in the 70's 80's and 90's, I have no idea.

I have added roughly 390 coyotes to those numbers since 2015 making an approximate total of 1,326

Like mentioned in my 2015 post, I have no idea what my totals were in the 70's, 80's and 90's.
I do know of a few years in the 1990's that netted well over a 100 per season but those were the years coyote pelts weren't worth much resulting in no hunting pressures and a high population of coyotes. Those were the years! I recall one cold morning in January 1997, a working partner and I were travelling our route and counted 74 coyotes that morning. How things have changed, I can go days driving the country roads and never see a coyote now. They're still around but just tougher to find
smile.gif

Booked this week off work in hopes of doing some coyote hunting but with a temperature of minus 35*F and a wind-chill of minus 51* F this morning, I waited until late morning before venturing out.
It warmed up some, if you can call minus 26*F (& a wind-chill of minus 40*F) warming up.
I only planned on doing one set but I had high hopes of seeing something at this location.

Start off with some distress calls whose high pitch cries cut through air of extreme cold and ice crystals. After a couple minutes I repeat the whole process and it too falls on deaf ears.
Third series using the bite call is considerably more emotional which does produce a single coyote on a hilltop to the northwest of my location. Cross hairs placed on its chest and a 90 yard shot does this mangy coyote a favor and drops it in its tracks.

WTG. What an ugly looking coyote, you diffidently did it a favor. Beautiful looking whore frost on the trees. The old wife's tail was, 6 months after the Whore frost we get rain, it didn't work this summer. We had snow then rain on top last night with strong wind still a blowing. Extremely crunchy now with 2-3" to come tonight. The temps are going to drop into single digits. Maybe later this week will be better down here. Congrats on getting out in the fridge temps, and getting one. Guessing the battery power was with you.

Originally Posted By: lockrotor WTG. What an ugly looking coyote, you diffidently did it a favor. Beautiful looking whore frost on the trees. The old wife's tail was, 6 months after the Whore frost we get rain, it didn't work this summer. We had snow then rain on top last night with strong wind still a blowing. Extremely crunchy now with 2-3" to come tonight. The temps are going to drop into single digits. Maybe later this week will be better down here. Congrats on getting out in the fridge temps, and getting one. Guessing the battery power was with you.
You have a much more interesting type of frost than we get here
smile.gif
We just get the boring ole hoarfrost.
Yes, I was basically a walking battery on that stand. I made sure all the batteries were fully charged again last night as I planned on going out this morning. The Weather Network's forecast was for slightly warmer temperatures but can you believe it, they were wrong. It was -37*F (wind-chill of -53*F) when I got up. Coffee and cards with my wife trumped coyote hunting once again.
Originally Posted By: borkonGood stuff SS.
You have killed a good amount of coyotes!
If this weather doesn't smarten up soon, those numbers are going to become dormant
smile.gif
Looks like warmer temperatures are coming our way by the weekend though.

Just shot my first coyote of the year today (road dog).
330 yards with my .17_.204.
Just am loosing my MOJO for going out n calling? Never thought that day would come
frown.gif

I need a spark!!

Originally Posted By: borkonJust shot my first coyote of the year today (road dog).
330 yards with my .17_.204.
Just am loosing my MOJO for going out n calling? Never thought that day would come
frown.gif

I need a spark!!
I hear you!
Cold weather and snow didn’t use to hold me back but it sure seems to now. I know I won’t be adding anymore coyotes to the December 2021 post. Cold again this morning (-29°F, wind-chill -47°F) with enough snow making it tough getting to a lot of my areas.
I guess I’ll wait and see what January 2022 brings.

Nice shot by the way! That 17-204 can sure reach out there
thumbup1.gif

Yep, it sure is a great round with Chan Nagels awesome 30 grain bullets.
_30*f tonight.
No coyotes on tomorrow's agenda unless one come through the yard.
Lol
Happy New Years fellas.

Last edited:
Back