Tripod recommendations

Erie660

I’ve been looking at numerous tripods, trying to find a good one that doesn’t break the bank. I’m trying to stay below 500.00. I have been looking at the Nightsnipe tournament hunter with the NS67 ball head and reaper mount and also the Slik pro 700 with NS67 ball head and reaper mount. I’m trying to stay fairly light and the Nightsnipe tournament hunter with ball head and reaper mount is just a little over 5 lbs. The slik pro 700 is over 7lbs. I’ve also looked at Nightgoggles but they are over 7lbs also. Thanks

Light = carbon fiber and it is going to be impossible to put together a QUALITY carbon fiber tripod/ball head/mount combo for less than $500.00.

You can shave off some weight and money if you eliminate the clamp mount and direct mount your rifle to the ball head. That is the best way to do it.

If you are set on a clamp mount setup for under $500 then you should take a look at the aluminum SLIK Pro 700, Cretac/Feisol SBH50D, and the Reaper Grip. About 8.4 lbs total. A better ball head would be the leofoto LH55 but that will put you at about a little over 9lbs and a few dollars over $500, depending on what deal you can find.

I have no experience with that NightSnipe tripod, but it looks like about a dozen or so other rebranded Chinese tripods that are on the market now. You are not saving any money in the long run by buying a $175.00 Chinese tripod. I know several guys who went that route, myself included. None of us have those tripods now.

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntrLight = carbon fiber and it is going to be impossible to put together a QUALITY carbon fiber tripod/ball head/mount combo for less than $500.00.

You can shave off some weight and money if you eliminate the clamp mount and direct mount your rifle to the ball head. That is the best way to do it.

If you are set on a clamp mount setup for under $500 then you should take a look at the aluminum SLIK Pro 700, Cretac/Feisol SBH50D, and the Reaper Grip. About 8.4 lbs total. A better ball head would be the leofoto LH55 but that will put you at about a little over 9lbs and a few dollars over $500, depending on what deal you can find.

I have no experience with that NightSnipe tripod, but it looks like about a dozen or so other rebranded Chinese tripods that are on the market now. You are not saving any money in the long run by buying a $175.00 Chinese tripod. I know several guys who went that route, myself included. None of us have those tripods now.
How does a direct mount attache to the forearm of a bolt gun like a Tikka? I have looked at the Slik pro 700 and was one that I was considering. Thanks

How does a direct mount attache to the forearm of a bolt gun like a Tikka? I have looked at the Slik pro 700 and was one that I was considering. Thanks[/quote]

For a bolt rifle you will have to attach (screw on) either an arca plate or a picatinny rail and add an arca adapter.
If you don't want to do that you will have to go with a clamp mount. I have owned several and IMO the Reaper Grip is the best choice for a tapered or round stock.
A less expensive option is this:
It is a Slik 700 tripod and Reaper Grip clamp. It does swivel and tilt but it does not pan. I have one as a loaner. The tripod description is incorrect, it is the aluminum model.
https://kjrests.com/products/k700-amt-aluminum-tripod-with-reaper-grip

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntrHow does a direct mount attache to the forearm of a bolt gun like a Tikka? I have looked at the Slik pro 700 and was one that I was considering. Thanks

For a bolt rifle you will have to attach (screw on) either an arca plate or a picatinny rail and add an arca adapter.
If you don't want to do that you will have to go with a clamp mount. I have owned several and IMO the Reaper Grip is the best choice for a tapered or round stock.
A less expensive option is this:
It is a Slik 700 tripod and Reaper Grip clamp. It does swivel and tilt but it does not pan. I have one as a loaner. The tripod description is incorrect, it is the aluminum model.
https://kjrests.com/products/k700-amt-aluminum-tripod-with-reaper-grip [/quote]

Is that the same as this one? The place that sell this tripod is only about 60 miles from me. Thanks for all the advice.
https://www.predatorhunteroutdoors.com/index.php/product/slik-pro-700-tripod-reaper-grip-combo/

For 500 I would go with the Leofoto LS 364C with the Leofoto LH40 head. PM me and I can hook you up with a vendor that has been good to me.

I use a Bog Pod. So far so good. I will probably upgrade. Thought I would try it for hunting I actually bought it for my Oehler 35 chronograph. Big guns were upsetting camera tripod.

I have the Bog aluminum camo version also. I'm just getting started so all these ball heads and stuff are greek to me but it seems pretty simple to just lay the float tube in the Bog clamp and snug it down vs screwing more stuff to a rifle. It's a tank though and lugging it around is the downfall if you're walking far with all the night gear that's needed to do this.

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntrLight = carbon fiber and it is going to be impossible to put together a QUALITY carbon fiber tripod/ball head/mount combo for less than $500.00.

I decided to go with the two vets Recon tripod and a 55 dual tension ball head. This is more money that I intended on spending but I think I’m bettor find the long run. I’ve been doing a lot of research and the two vets seems like a quality tripod.

If you have not placed an order yet PM me, I can refer you to the guy that I deal with. He carries Two Vets plus other brands and will treat you right.

Gonna sound nuts but I sprung for the Vortex Ridgeline Carbon Fiber (street price $500ish) and then went and returned it to go the Bog Carbon Fiber Death grip. The Vortex was real frighin nice from a weight and overall height standpoint in comparison to the Bog. What I grew to dislike after hunting with it next to my buddy's Carbon Bog was the pan handle for panning. For whatever reason it seemed to always becoming unscrewed and it cost me a few missed dogs...admittedly I'm not the greatest shot but it made for a real ball busting hunt when your buddy is smacking em (3 to be exact) when you're missing em with a tripod that cost double. In freezing temps you could also hear it move while panning which was somewhat annoying to have to oil a new $500 tripod but that seemed to alleviate the noise on a still night. As mentioned I do miss the extra 3-4" of height it also provided over the BOG but with about $10 worth of 3" bushings on the BOG it's an easy fix for me at 6"2".

My friends and I have been picking them up off of Craigslist used for years. The one I have in the pix is Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 Aluminum 3-Section Tripod with Horizontal Column that I purchased used for about $80.00. I already had the ball head and plate and built the Hog Saddle with parts I bought from Menards.

INNOREL RT90C on amazon is exactly the same tripod as the Night goggles night stalker pro as far as i can tell comparing them side by side. I topped mine with a Desmond DLOW-55mm ball head 7 couldn't be happier with the results.

Originally Posted By: superDUECE22INNOREL RT90C on amazon is exactly the same tripod as the Night goggles night stalker pro as far as i can tell comparing them side by side. I topped mine with a Desmond DLOW-55mm ball head 7 couldn't be happier with the results.
I had the same setup for the last 3-4 years.

Great combo as long as you don't have to pack it far.

I sold mine due to the weight.

wBGSofc.jpg

Originally Posted By: alfOriginally Posted By: superDUECE22INNOREL RT90C on amazon is exactly the same tripod as the Night goggles night stalker pro as far as i can tell comparing them side by side. I topped mine with a Desmond DLOW-55mm ball head 7 couldn't be happier with the results.

wBGSofc.jpg

What are you running now and how much does it weigh? I ordered a Two vets Recon and it weighs 5.2 plus the 55 mm head.

Originally Posted By: Erie660

wBGSofc.jpg

Originally Posted By: Erie660What are you running now and how much does it weigh? I ordered a Two vets Recon and it weighs 5.2 plus the 55 mm head.

Wasn't that long ago I didn't own a shooting tripod, then the flood gates opened......

aD4K4db.jpg

The front one is a Leofoto LS-284C+LH30 combo.

https://www.leofoto.com/products_detail.php?id=227

This has been my #1 calling tripod for the last 4-5 years. Perfect size & weight for a calling tripod. I ran a Hog Saddle on it when using a bolt gun w/o an ARCA plate.

Next I decided I wanted a heavy duty shooting tripod setup, and the Innorel RT-90C with the DlOW 55 was perfect for that, as I was never going to be but a few steps from the truck. That's the back one.

https://www.amazon.com/Carbon-Tripod-Professional-Birdwatching-Adapter/dp/B07H8V8WWM

Once I decided to buy a thermal, those two setups weren't going to work, the big one was too heavy, the little one only went to 50" in height. Not enough for standing.

So I bought the Innorel RT-80, 2nd from the back. A ball head wasn't needed, as I was using the bowl adapter with the center handle for adjustments & less weight. Had to add the ARCA plate adapter is all, so I could run the Hog Saddle or an ARCA plate, depending on the gun.

https://www.amazon.com/Carbon-Tripod-Professional-Birdwatching-Camera/dp/B07HH4BYNK

What I didn't like about the RT-80 was the leg angles while sitting. 1st notch was to steep, 2nd notch was too shallow.

After comparing the angles on the Lefoto, I found the next size bigger model had the same angles as the little one that worked so well for me. So I decided to order that one. It was only a pound more than the little one, and it went to 55", so it actually covered sitting or standing for me.

https://www.leofoto.com/products_detail.php?id=225

So I trimmed the fat by selling the big one and the little one. The Leofoto now covers all my hunting, the RT-80 is now my everything else tripod, for the spotting scope, and all my shooting practice.

Long way around the block to tell you want I use, but it explains the road I took to get where I'm at.

Excuse me for my ignorance on this subject, but I ordered the LS-324C+LH-40 leofoto tripod, now what mount or saddle do you recommend for AR 15 RIFLE?

First purchase for anything related to tripod

Back