Custom Rifle Blueprints

For those of you who like to see a buttstock on your weapon here is a custom fast twist 22-250.

Remington 700 action trued
1-9” twist sendero contour Barrel 24” threaded 5/8-24
Suppressor ready muzzle brake
HS Precision Stock in woodland camo
Rifle basix trigger
Leupold vx3 6-20x50

https://imgur.com/a/8XQI4

22-250 AI built by Davis Custom Rifles, Boone, NC
Blueprinted Rem 700 Action
Tubbs SpeedLock
TriggerTech Special Trigger
Shilen Select Match 27" 9 twist #4 contour
HS Precision stock
Hawkins Precision Long-Range Hybrid Rings
Leupold VX-6 3-18x44mm TMOA

082b74d4d7cd893e36cd695830b424de.jpg

Last edited:
Years ago I had really good shooting 700 sporter .22-250. When the barrel wore out I had the action trued with the re-barrel job. The riflebuilder -a guy who did all the benchrest rifles around here - said that action was the worst/most out of true Remington he'd ever seen. So who's to say about this stuff. I think the barrel and chamber are more important.

Timgunner said:
Here is one of mine.

Xp100 Center grip
Action trued
Barrel 17” plus brake
Custom Three port side discharge brake
HS Precision stock
Side bolt release
Cerakote graphite black

Tim I really like your XP's. Who was the smith?

Savage axis trued and had the action machined back to accept a regular recoil lug fluted bolt.
BHW 8 twist chamber in 22-243 26” long
Timney trigger
Boyd’s atone in coyote
Northland shooter supply barrel nut
Northland shooter supply recoil lug
Leupold vx5hd 3-15x44 windplex reticle
Lane scorpion king 30 cal can
Winchester brass 75g amax fed210m h4831sc right about 3500fps

Winchester model 70 action(from 243 FWT)
Steiner GS3 2-10x42
Factory bottom metal
Factory trigger at 2.5lbs
1 in 8 Bartlein #3 at 22”
B&C stock
7.5lbs gun only
10lbs 6oz as pictured
Smithed by Dale Hegstrom at little crow gun works in Spicer MN.

60464_600x400.jpg

BigHorn Origin SA w/20 MOA base and BigHorn Barrel nut
Proof Research Prefit 6.5 CM, Sendero, 22"
Manners EH1-A
Peircision Muscle Break hanging on the end, although I don't really shoot with it that much.
TrigerTech Primary
MPA M5 DBM
Vortex Viper PST Gen1 6-24x50
Warne steel rings

Sure has been fun to shoot, and doing well during load development with 130 gr Sierra Game Changers over RL16

https://imgur.com/a/RX4xKCJ

Heres one you dont see every day. Most guys build on 700 actions, I decided to chop up my Mini Mauser when I was 12 years old to squeeze as much performance out of it. The factory barrel would sling bullets into a 1' to 2' group at 300 yards. No bueno.

I saved up a lot of money to have Douglas spin a 26" Premium Heavy 1:9 .223 Rem barrel on it. Boy did she shoot! Never bedded it or anything, just shot it like it was. Heres a picture a few years after having it "done".

Probably around 2011 was when it was started.

Heres a picture from January 2015
vvrR7lB.jpg

By now it had been Cerakoted and made daily trips with me in the back of the truck to highschool (worked on a farm daily after school). The first year I had worked there, I had shot over 60 groundhogs off that farm by mid summer and decided to quit counting. It was wearing a old Leupold Vari X II 3-9 that proved to work okay to 350 yards with some kentucky windage. I had save money that summer to buy a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 MIL FFP scope for it so I could finally dial for those far shots. $950 was a lot of money then but boy did it make a good upgrade!

I had experienced some humid days and the stock started to seem to shift the POI. It was thin to begin with and I felt I needed something else to support the weight of that chunky barrel. I ordered a Richards Microfit stock that was supposed to be "95%" but it was more like 50%. I put A LOT of time in sanding that thing and reprofiling it. It went through multiple iterations before finally getting it bedded by Seitzinger Riflesmith in West Newton PA.

I shot it for a while before reprofiling it AGAIN in summer of 2020. This marked the 3rd time that I spent about a week off and on sanding, grinding and shaving it down. Finally got it where it felt good and coated it again with a few good coats of TRU OIL.

Here is a picture from October/November 2020 getting it out at the range (new scope too) and load testing with different powder.
Happy to say, she still shoots as good as ever and it was the best group with this gun to date.
heEwxMP.jpg

53e9zOT.jpg

This rifle is very special to me given that I started it when I really started getting into centerfire shooting as a kid and it shows that good planning makes it still relevant today. I did all of the stock work, with some guidance from my dad with the exception of the bedding job. Douglas did the barrel work. Jon and Chris at Pittsburgh Cerakote did the cerakoting. Its worth noting, this action was never trued or lapped. Just as it came from the factory.

Specs as it sits today.

-Zastava Mini Mauser Action and Bottom Metal
-Douglas XX Premium Chrome Moly 26" 1:9 Twist Heavy Varmint 11 degree crown
-Richards Microfit stock (forget the model) Heavily modified and bedded
-Timney Trigger
-Old redfield One Piece base
-Leupold 30mm Medium Rings
-Leupold VX3i 6.5-20x50 Fine Duplex scope
-Tungsten and Titanium colored 2 tone Cerakote

Defiance Deviant
22-250
Bartlein Sendero 24" 8 twist
Hawkins BDL BM
McMillian stock
Trigger Tech trigger
TBAC 6.5 Gen 2 Ultra 9

I have a few other customs that get to see some use from time to time for coyotes but this has been the top for me. This season the 6 creed and 260 might sit for a bit while the 6bra and 25 creed will get some action.

20 tactical slinging 39gr blitzkings at 3950 and 35 bergers at 4000
KS arms SAR action
24” #5 1:10 twist benchmark
McMillan htg
Hawkins bdl
Tt diamond

zZtNzoV.jpg

260 rem with 140 hybrids
Stiller tac 30
Benchmark 1:8 twist rem varmint
McMillan a5
Ptg bdl