22-250 Suppressor??

Charlie112

Good afternoon,
I am wanting to get a suppressor for my 22-250 rifles and do not have any experience in this matter. I understand the paperwork side of the purchase, stamp etc. I am not sure which "can" I should purchase. I am looking at some SANDMAN MODELS. {suppressed}
Would really appreciate some info, can will service two rifles.

Thanks! Charlie112

There are many good suppressors out there and a few I'd call really good. For your application a TBAC 6.5 Gen2 Ultra 7 or 9 would be my first choice.

As to which length you get largely depends on your application. If you want more sound suppression and you don't mind the extra length Ultra 9 but if you're willing to sacrifice a little sound suppression for a more convenient length the Ultra 7 is always a good choice.

How long is the barrel on your 22-250 and what contour is it?

Rifle #1 is a Tikka Compact, standard sporting barrel. 20 inches, #2 is a Remington Varmint, stock Varmint barrel.
The Tikka barrel will stay in the factory style., the Remington, still trying to figure out the length, it is factory, would like to go shorter, then add can, still up in the air on Remington... Thanks
Finish total length of rifles is to be determined...

Last edited:
A few questions to ask yourself:

1. Do I want a lighter or a heavier can?

2. Do I want DT or QD (direct thread or quick detach)?

3. Do I want multi-cal?

I recommend Silencer CO or Banish models... Each line has their pros/cons.

The heavier and longer the can (the quieter the report).

TC

Another tip: minimum muzzle diameter and relief cuts

Take a set of calipers and measure the muzzle diameter of your barrels. This is the area (shoulder) that is fattest right before the threads start. Between the shoulder and the threads, see if the manufacturer cut reliefs. You would be surprised with all of the ins and outs of suppressor use.

TC

I purchased one of the original vapr cans from James quite a few years ago now, I couldn’t count how many rounds have been through it- flawless performance and dirt quiet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RayDogA lot of the time a heavier longer can is just that, heavier and longer not quieter.

Ray, I'm guessing you'll know the answer to this, how much quieter is/would a 6.5 Ultra 9 be on a 20in 22-250 versus your Ultra 7 and will your 6.5 Ultra's be that much quieter than your 30 cal versions?

Last edited:
I have a sico harvester 300 currently for my 22-250 the 22-250 suppressed is a total sweetheart!!! its a bit long of a can. si co just came out with the EVO, probably a great 22-250 can, currently have a dominus in jail. these days I have been wanting shorter cans with fatter diameter. I think any can over 13 ounces is a waste. there is no need to put a heavy can on your gun. you just don't need to.

Suppressed Armament Systems cans are the best in the nation. I have had AAC and Surefire, and his are by far better, with reduced blowback, noise, and point of impact shifts. I have one on my wife's SBR and while at an indoor competition, other competitors were taking about it and commenting on how quiet it was.

I have two SAS cans, Barricade and Vengeance. I never see their stuff is it only sold through direct order sales or do any dealers actually stock and sell SAS cans?

I use my SAS Barricade on my Kelbly 18in 22-250. It's what I'd consider barely-ish hearing safe but I think that is because the barrel is so short not because of the suppressor.

Last edited:
Rangerwalker71 (Steve at Colonial Armory) is a dealer and still sells SAS.

I have most models of SAS cans and I'm close friends with the owner Tim. He builds a great product that is super accurate, repeatable and quiet. I hunt and shoot competition so my rifles get heavy use and I totally have confidence in the cans.

The Sentinel MX is an amazing can that is stupid quiet on the 22cal host, including 22-250. Its a 22cal all titanium can thats 7" and suoer light. I've always been a proponent of the TOMB attachment system that SAS has had in service now for over 20 years which is longer than a lot of manufacturers have been in business. Its far superior to direct thread IMO and is pretty much the new standard for accuracy and repeatability. Most all manufacturers now have some type of attachment system that uses the same type of taper attachment system.

B23, I also have the Barricade MX thats my primary can that i run for thermal hunting. It definitely is not as quiet as some of the other SAS models but it wasn't designed to be. Its barely over 6" and the diameter is like 1.45 OD so it doesn't possess as much volume as others but is still hearing safe on my ARs. The new MX series is a new baffle design that is a definite upgrade in sound reduction from the old Arbiter, Sentinel, Vengeance and M47.

Tim and I are working on a new can, specific for varmint hunters so hopefully we have something cool coming soon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: RayDogA lot of the time a heavier longer can is just that, heavier and longer not quieter.

Ray, I'm guessing you'll know the answer to this, how much quieter is/would a 6.5 Ultra 9 be on a 20in 22-250 versus your Ultra 7 and will your 6.5 Ultra's be that much quieter than your 30 cal versions?

There is a 22-250 video I posted a while ago on YouTube. The new Gen 2 Ultras are by far the best 1.5" diameter cans out there. If you don't mind a larger can and want as good as it gets our new Dominus is King. We have learned so much the last couple years since working with B&K and helping develop the PULSE system. A suppressor company without a PULSE is pissing in the wind. Even the 2209s are no good anymore. We have two of them and B&K has a whole pile of them.When tested against a modern digital MilSpec system you can see there is no way to develop new tech with them. They just cant capture the peak of a gunshot. We wasted so much time, money and energy testing with the 2209s. Go watch some of the new videos and you can see we are suppressing below the sonic crack these days. Several companies big cans are. Todd at DeadAir did a great job on Nomad L and LT. It was the can that made me want to do the Magnus. The Magnus is in a class all its own. It's several dB better than any of the larger OD 30 cal cans out there.

I am using a SilencerCO OMEGA 300 and am happy with it.When multiples are called in they seem to be puzzled quite often after the first shot pretty regularly.Have done no research and am no expert,my son gave mine to me think he won it at a long range contest and put me on a trust.Am sure there are folks on here with a lot more knowledge than me.

Last edited:
Back