6mm ARC yote loads

GeezerBeam

Hello all,
I built a 6mm ARC and just shot up 2 boxes of Hornady factory Match and my groups started at 3” and by 35-40 rounds fired was shooting close to sub 1.5” at 100 yards.
Question is: I have a jug of XBR 8208 and R15 and a few hundred Speer 75 grain HPs (Wicked big HP) along with a smattering of heavy weights. Looking for loads using those 2 powders but especially R15. Build for coyotes and vermin so no interest in heavy weight bullets.

If you want to stay fur friendly I'd look at the 58gr V-max, 55gr NBT's or 60gr Sierra HP's.

Instead of using questionable data off the net why not data from reliable sources, powder or bullet company printed/tested data. Each barrel is pretty much an entity unto itself and accuracy loads don't often repeat themselves even in barrels from the same manufacture. It is always better to work up loads for your individual barrel from proven data.

Hornady has an app you can download. If you don't want to buy the whole data package you can pay $1.00 per caliber.

If you can't get a bullet to shoot well in your rifle, try the other powder. If that does not work, cut your losses and change bullet brand or type.

If you go to Google and type "6mm arc loads" the first two results are "6mm ARC (Gas Gun) and 6mm ARC (Bolt Gun)"

https://www.hornady.com/assets/site/hornady/files/load-data/6mm-arc-gas-58-105gr-data.pdf

8208 is listed under their 75 grain vmax data. No RL15 until 87 grain and above.

Hodgdon also lists data for a 70 grain HP.

Not sure if the data you pay for in the app is expanded in any way, but this would give you a place to start from and work up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mblackmon4Curious about how well the 6 arc will do with the 75grs and lighter. I though they might have too much twist for them

I shoot a 70 grain Varmageddon out of my 7 twist. Works great.

Those are mighty impressive ballistics for the 65 grain V-Max!!!

I shoot 60 grain V-Max out of an 18 inch barrel at 2900 fps flat in a MK12 5.56 knock off.

Works great though. I suppose you can't kill something "deader" than dead though.

What upper did you build your 6mm Arc with. I am building one and using a Stag upper with a 18" stainless barrel with 1-7 twist. I am going to start loading different weights starting with a 58 gr V Max and work from there. Going to be used for coyotes.

mines built on a BCA G2 side charger. i picked up a Grendel donor upper, and just swapped the barrel and gas block/tube out of it.

I'm waiting on powder to load 58 gr. v-max coyote rounds. Hard to find powders that will work with light bullets. Alliant predator is the one I'm looking at. Any other powder suggestions. Mine is a bolt action from Uintah

Rudy

You can use H322, Benchmark, Accurate 2200, 2230 or LT-30 or LT 32. Only problem I have right now is getting more brass to make rounds.

Last edited:
IMR 8208, Benchmark, H322. Slowest to fastest in that order, they are like siblings and work great in cases this size.

I use 8208 in my 6x6.8 with 58's because that is what I had when I worked up the load but one of the other two might actually be a better fit for that bullet weight.

Update
Found 30.0 gr of IMR 8208 with 65 gr V-Max shot sub moa @ 100 yards, Hornady brass going on 3rd loading with no pressure of any other problems. I anneal all my brass after 2 loadings or if resized to another cal.
6mm Arc Faxon match barrel is what I’m shooting the load thru, read some bad press about Faxon barrels but mine is a shooter.
Sure hope StarLine gets to producing some Grendel brass soon, 40 pieces of ARC brass is not going to last me long.
I vet all data I read including from manufacturer(s) of bullets and powders but thank you for the great advice. Just looking to see what others are using and their results.

Last edited:
I love IMR 8208 and have a 8# of it left, have a few others h322 but no Benchmark. Very happy with 8208s performance in my 6mm ARC and tomorrow is my first nighttime prairie poodle hunt with it.

Originally Posted By: arlaunchThose are mighty impressive ballistics for the 65 grain V-Max!!!

I shoot 60 grain V-Max out of an 18 inch barrel at 2900 fps flat in a MK12 5.56 knock off.

Works great though. I suppose you can't kill something "deader" than dead though.

what powder are you using ?

just put a 6 ARC (22" barrel) together, want to run the 65 gr vmax ... Have H335 and accurate 2230 right now

Last edited:
Got a bit more IMR 8208 in the case and found another node at 31.0 grains (CAUTION SAFE IN MY GUN - USE ANY DATA HERE AT OWN RISK) with the 65 gr V-Max. Cold up here in N.E. Michigan, not chrono anything until spring but the load groups very well in < 30 degree weather. Brass ejecting right where it should and brass shows no signs of pressure. ***These are for my winter yote hunting and are loaded for cold weather and tested in cold weather***. I'm also using Rem 7 1/2 primers in Hornady 6mm ARC brass and seating slightly longer then manual COL.
Being that I have a almost full jug of IMR 8208 from years ago and it's performing better than expected in my 6 ARC makes me very happy.

Back