November 2021

November 28- The plan for this morning was to sit in a spot that would be close to some known coyote travel routes. With a slight south breeze and a temperature just above the freezing mark, everything was perfect! All except one thing and that being the lack of coyotes! Never seen a single animal, just magpies, ravens, and a few chickadee’s. As enjoyable as this was, it was time to move on. Walked back to the truck and drove part way into the next quarter to the west. Walked a quarter mile west from the truck and set up on a fence line which would give me a good view of a heavily treed area with a significant sized slough in the middle. The red arrow indicates where I sat.

Start off with the same routine as the past few outings, that being distress to start and following up with some yelps. It wasn’t long before seeing the sun rays glistening off coyote fur as it sat on a hillside a quarter mile to the northwest. The sun would be in the coyotes eyes and as I sat in the shade of some trees, I felt good about how this could unfold. The coyote wasn’t moving so with the aid of the diaphragm call, more yelps were sent to the northwest. The coyote jumped into action and ran down the hill towards my location. I lost sight of my quarry in a low spot but not to worry as I fully expected the coyote to pop back into view any second. Well seconds turned into minutes and no coyote to be seen. There was no way of getting downwind of me without a visual so I sat tight for a bit longer before giving a short burst of yelps to try force the coyote into making a move. Still nothing showed and now I’m having doubts whether this coyote is even in the area anymore. I slowly stand up and low and behold there’s the coyote sitting in probably the only spot where it could be hid. I duck down and contemplate my next move of attack which would be no more than sneaking a bit closer to a spot where I could get a shot off. With the sun at my back the coyote still managed to pick me out but I presume it figured me to be another coyote as it started barking and howling its disapproval of my presence. I managed to get into position for a shot but first would take a quick range before settling cross hairs on fur. (217 yards)
Touched off a shot which was instantly followed with the coyote spinning a full circle before making a labored effort to get into the nearby trees.
Oh great, no snow and a coyote somewhere in the tall grasses of the bush, was not what I wanted to see. Packed up and headed down to the area where I last seen the coyote before entering the trees. Three passes through the trees was rewarded with the sight of light colored fur amongst some windfall. Believe me, the picture doesn’t begin to show what a tangled bunch of twisted and interwoven branches there was to deal with. Twice I was down on my hand and knees to retrieve my prize.

Last edited:
As another of your fans I look forward to more stories and photos of this winter's endeavors. You do a great job bringing us along. Thanks and happy hunting.

Your stories are always amazing and don't get the recognition they should! Great job putting down dogs in this grossly warm weather.
You should put a story or 2 in the main predator forum. I'm sure there's lots of guys who don't even know to check the north forum that would love these.

Originally Posted By: GrigsbyAs another of your fans I look forward to more stories and photos of this winter's endeavors. You do a great job bringing us along. Thanks and happy hunting.
Thank you Grigsby, and all the best to your upcoming hunting adventures also!
Originally Posted By: YotarunnerYour stories are always amazing and don't get the recognition they should! Great job putting down dogs in this grossly warm weather.
You should put a story or 2 in the main predator forum. I'm sure there's lots of guys who don't even know to check the north forum that would love these.
I agree, there is a lot more individuals visiting the main predator site but if the fur prices drop as badly as predicted, I likely won't be hunting or posting much of anything
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jnormanGreat stories and pictures to start the season Mr. Shoes! Thank you.
I was hoping to add a story and pictures from this mornings outings but never seen a coyote. Did call in a little fork horn mule deer though.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: lockrotorCongrats Snowshoes, love that picture of the coyote in the brush. Thanks for sharing.
I would have much preferred a field picture over s bush picture but that's where it crash landed
smile.gif

I always love reading your stories. Looking forward to seeing/reading more. Your stories keep me coming back
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: fratriI always love reading your stories. Looking forward to seeing/reading more. Your stories keep me coming back
smile.gif

Thank you fratri, I'm hopeful to add a few more hunts in the next few weeks.

Back