Cva 45 caliber accura mrx muzzleloader

Toro

Just got the new cva 45 cal. Mrx. 26 inch barrel and I believe 1/22 twist. Anyone have any experience with this gun? Looking for what bullet, powder, and primer combo guys are having success with.

Thanks,
Art

I bought the LR-X and then returned it and bought a Paramount here about 2 weeks ago. The best combo will be the Powerbelt ELR 280 grain bullet with Blackhorn 209 powder. Not sure what brand 209 primer everyone is using.

Originally Posted By: erikc838I bought the LR-X and then returned it and bought a Paramount here about 2 weeks ago. The best combo will be the Powerbelt ELR 280 grain bullet with Blackhorn 209 powder. Not sure what brand 209 primer everyone is using.

And you know that how?

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: erikc838I bought the LR-X and then returned it and bought a Paramount here about 2 weeks ago. The best combo will be the Powerbelt ELR 280 grain bullet with Blackhorn 209 powder. Not sure what brand 209 primer everyone is using.

And you know that how?

All the keyboard ninjas. Seriously though, the above are what comes recommended the most, as far as accuracy, velocity and cleanliness. It’s a proven combo guys are having success with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: erikc838Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: erikc838I bought the LR-X and then returned it and bought a Paramount here about 2 weeks ago. The best combo will be the Powerbelt ELR 280 grain bullet with Blackhorn 209 powder. Not sure what brand 209 primer everyone is using.

And you know that how?

All the keyboard ninjas. Seriously though, the above are what comes recommended the most, as far as accuracy, velocity and cleanliness.

Keyboard ninja's make recommendations from a manual they read and with no actual hands on experience.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: erikc838Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: erikc838I bought the LR-X and then returned it and bought a Paramount here about 2 weeks ago. The best combo will be the Powerbelt ELR 280 grain bullet with Blackhorn 209 powder. Not sure what brand 209 primer everyone is using.

And you know that how?

All the keyboard ninjas. Seriously though, the above are what comes recommended the most, as far as accuracy, velocity and cleanliness.

I wonder how you could make that statement since you don't have any Blackhorn 209? So with no actual hands on experience and no clarification that is a suggested load from a manual, you decide to parrott that as a fact for someone else's rifle. Keyboard ninja indeed.

It is not a matter of fact no more than anything else in reloading, but merely something that has been proven to work. Everyone on here knows to take any and all information for what it is. Call it a starting point, BS, whatever. It is no different than any other information placed on this forum. It exists for this purpose.

I am new to muzzleloading and reached out for help, on this forum. I was supplied the information by other members, CVA customer support, friends, the local shop, that I was just trying to pass along. Perhaps, I should have been like you and just told the OP that it was a ridiculous question, one with no possible answer. Figure it out yourself. I'll move along, I realize we won't all agree and see no point continuing this conversation with you, in open forum or elsewhere. Post your response, I will read it and it dies (for me) there.

Enjoy your day.

Originally Posted By: erikc838Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: erikc838Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: erikc838I bought the LR-X and then returned it and bought a Paramount here about 2 weeks ago. The best combo will be the Powerbelt ELR 280 grain bullet with Blackhorn 209 powder. Not sure what brand 209 primer everyone is using.

And you know that how?

I wonder how you could make that statement since you don't have any Blackhorn 209? So with no actual hands on experience and no clarification that is a suggested load from a manual, you decide to parrott that as a fact for someone else's rifle. Keyboard ninja indeed.

It is not a matter of fact no more than anything else in reloading, but merely something that has been proven to work. Everyone on here knows to take any and all information for what it is. Call it a starting point, BS, whatever. It is no different than any other information placed on this forum. It exists for this purpose.

I am new to muzzleloading and reached out for help, on this forum. I was supplied the information by other members, CVA customer support, friends, the local shop, that I was just trying to pass along. Perhaps, I should have been like you and just told the OP that it was a ridiculous question, one with no possible answer. Figure it out yourself. I'll move along, I realize we won't all agree and see no point continuing this conversation with you, in open forum or elsewhere. Post your response, I will read it and it dies (for me) there.

Enjoy your day.

You said "the best combo will be...". As if you knew that from experience. Yet, experience is exactly what you don't have. Well, that and some Blackhorn 209.

I didn't respond to the OP, so all that stupidity about being like me and telling the OP it is a ridiculous question, figure it for yourself, ect. is complete nonsense. Let me remind you that it was you that threw the first "Judy chop" with the "keyboard ninja" comment. All I did was ask how you knew the information you were giving was accurate. Got your tender feelings hurt and got pissy and don't like the response from that. That about sum it up?

Anyone ever try the Hornady 40 cal, 200 grain, SST’s, with the sabots, out of the cva accura 45 cal?

Last edited:
Ive got a CVA Acura V2 with the bergara barrel, thing shoots lights out. I don't have an experience with a .45 cal (mine's a .50 but I shoot 45's in a 50cal sabot) but if you're not shooting blackhorn209 than your likely giving up accuracy and ease of use. 110gr by volume of 209 and the 250gr barnes TEZ has been the load for these for years, you might have good luck with it. Again, not sure about .45 you may not be able to use as much powder but I'd definitely switch to blackhorn right off the bat it's not even worth shooting pellets.

Contrary to popular belief, BH 209 is not a wonder powder. Granted it has its plus's but its not for every gun. My T/C doesn't like it at all. 777 loose powder works way better and puts deer down just fine. My Knight will shoot BH or 777 and is accurate with both. BH cleans a little easier but not enough to make it a big deal. Don't get me wrong BH209 is a good powder but if you can't buy it you better find something else that works.

I don't offer advice about things I know nothing or very little about. While I do hunt with and shoot muzzleloaders, I don't shoot a .45 caliber CVA.

Since you have shown an interest in contributing to the thread, what are your recommendations to the OP regarding his new CVA .45?

Toro,I shot many different combos out of my .45 and have had my best luck with loose 777 powder and hornady's 200 grain SST ML bullet. Trust me I really wanted pellets to work but loose won in the end. Every gun is different and if you really want to find your best group/velocity you will need to try a few combos. If you find a good combo make sure you get back in here and share what worked.

Thank you. Starting out, I plan on trying the elr’s and the hornady’s with blackhorn. I’m looking for consistent accuracy out to 200 yards for whitetail. Hopefully I can get the bullets and get a chance to try them in the next week or so.

Originally Posted By: wyomanToro,I shot many different combos out of my .45 and have had my best luck with loose 777 powder and hornady's 200 grain SST ML bullet. Trust me I really wanted pellets to work but loose won in the end. Every gun is different and if you really want to find your best group/velocity you will need to try a few combos. If you find a good combo make sure you get back in here and share what worked.

Good advice...

Started out with 100 grains blackhorn by volume and 285 grain power belt ELR, running a patch through after every shot.. 4 inch group at 100 yards. Wasn’t happy. Talked to a few people that were using same bullet with 90 grains blackhorn by volume. Interestingly enough, they all recommended that I don’t clean the barrel between shots. Went back to range today and shooting 90 grains blackhorn by volume, 285 power belt elr, and not swabbing barrel between shots, I shot 1.25 inch , 3 shot, group. Federal shotshell 209 primers. Gonna try some other bullets to see if it likes anything else. I also want to shoot them at 200 to see what kind of trajectory they have.

I don’t know a lot about muzzleloading but I was kind of surprised when it was suggested to not clean the barrel between shots. I would have figured that a clean bore would be more consistent than a dirty one.

If you have the powder and bullet's try shooting 1 shot on a cold barrel and see where it hit's. In hunting situations you are probably gonna shoot on a cold clean barrel and usually that's the only shot that count's.

I don’t have enough bullets right now so I plan on shooting a cold dirty barrel The people I have talked to are doing the same. Hope it doesn’t ruin the barrel but it was worthless to me the way it shot clean with my initial combo. Once I get more bullets, I’m going to try some new combinations with a clean bore and hopefully find something that shoots acceptable with a clean bore. If not I’ll clean at the end of the season or when I can’t get a bullet down the barrel any longer.

Last edited:
I would ditch the powerbelts, get you some Harvester Crush rib blue, and some .40 cal bullets of your choice. Stick with the BH209 as long as you can find it, it really is the best BP substitute. Not all breech plugs work with it, so make sure yours is the compatible breech plug for BH209. Also, use full strength 209's, NOT the ones for 777.

Also, with BH209 you don't need to worry as much about a dirty barrel. It fouls less than other powders, but cleans up easy and won't seize your breech plug like pyro & 777 will.

Last edited:
Thanks, I just ordered the sabots you mentioned. My brother 3 or 4 different kinds of 40 caliber bullets that I will try. I measure my bh by volume. How many grains are you shooting with? My manual says max 110 grains by volume.

Back