Baiting

Got this big male a few minutes ago. He's showing some mange behind his leg/up his side. Hopefully it doesn't get worse around here. 22-204ai again. Hogster R35 is working well.

[img:left][/img]

So, question for the crowd. I just deployed the first two deer carcasses for the season, been running just beaver so far, hopefully things will get rolling. But, ran into an issue with motion sensors. My Chamberlain finally gave up the ghost after 8 years of service. Not a bad run. I have my Miltronics set up on my 170 yd site. I was not going to run two sites this year, but ended up with two carcasses at once. So, needed to order a new sensor today. I went with Guardline this time
My question, without going back through 394 pages, who is running a Guardline sensor, and how do you like it?

https://www.guardlinesecurity.com/products/1-4-mile-wireless-driveway-alarm

I'm running the Hosmart units and really like them. Seems coyote shooting is not all DU knows, he knows how to alert us it's time.

My Hosmart went off last night about 7:30. Two participants were there but one was super leery. I was getting ready to leave to go back to my house build day job and had taken in the tripod I shoot off of not 5 mins before. I just opened the door and shot off hand. I know this video is hard to watch because off handed the cross hair is going every where. I could not fine this coyote in the dark and had to leave shortly after this. The slow motion appears to show my shot was back in the middle instead of the boiler room. The bait is at 90 yards.

[video:youtube][/video]

Last edited:
Keep after them. They will be back for free meal. I just added another roadkill deer to my pile. The weather has been warm, so they don't last as long. lol

Great video Week. Dead coyote for sure, just not close in the area. Stay after em. What rifle and bullet on that shot?

On the sensor topic, I received my Guardline today. Not to bad of a unit. I will have to tear them apart and perform my silicon operation to the internal LED lights however. One thing I don't like is the alert tones. It has 32 tones to choose from, and 28 of them are classical music...really? I want to be alerted...but it is what it is. So will be a bit before I deploy them. One other thing I noticed is the internals. It is pretty obvious all of these brands come off the same Chinese line. Identical parts, battery packs, connectors, electronic specs and temp specs. So, should work fine.
I did sit down this morning and perform some more extensive surgery on my Chamberlain sensors. I actually got some life back in them, but for how long, I don't know. I did put those out this morning to see if I get alerts, and have the Guardline on alert ready 5.

Last edited:
Got a trail cam pic of the first black coyote I have seen on my lease. Now that I know he is there, I need some luck. I saw him in muzzle loading season but he was 120 yards moving fast across a small opening. I plan to spend some time pursuing him.

E5xwLuK.jpg

You are definitely seeing some action on the cams week. Once you get the rest of your seasons wrapped up, it will be a productive winter for you hopefully.

Got this female this am as I was heading out to work. Wasn't on my pile, but was mousing in the pasture nearby. ~150 yard shot. 22-204ai 53 hp again. DRT

[img:left][/img]

My bait site is in view from the house. While I have motion detectors, coyote #19 (for the year) slipped right through them. I'm an older guy and I get up a couple times a night. Often I'll do a quick scan before going back to bed. That's how I spotted this one 300+ yards out. Shot was at 140 yards. 243 running 55gr Sierra Blitzkings.

https://vimeo.com/646734192

The bait pile is running low but I picked up a nuisance beaver to refresh this morning.

This is my first FLIR coyote. Watching the video, I think I should have touched the focus and switched to white hot. Also I believe image quality of the videos is lower than what you see in the display.

In any case FLIR video quality doesn't compare to low budget NV. I refer to this one as coyote 16.5 Scope is a PARD 008 with LRF. Shot at 205 yards using a Sniper Hog Light 66 with ir bulb.

https://vimeo.com/631949213

Coyote 16.5 was shot with a 223 running 43gr Speer TNT Green unleaded bullets. I've shot three coyotes with the unleaded Speer and I'm giving up on them.

Last edited:
Cool videos, holy cow that 243 shot came through loud! About made me jump. I can see the advantage of the thermal after the shot even though the image on the NV was good imo. Did the 223 coyote get away then?

I've got a scrap pile 150 yds from our br window that stuff comes in and chews on occasionally. What kind of motion detector alarms do you guys use?

It also makes the wife jump at 3am.

Yes, that 223 coyote was not recovered. Though I'm certain that was a lethal hit.

I had high hopes for the little 43gr Speer TNT Green. It is super accurate in my gun. Better than anything else I've put through it on paper. However I'm not enamoured with it's performance on crows, a possum, a skunk and especially coyotes. I feel like I've given it a fair shake and I'm over it.

Last edited:
Great videos wildflights, thank you for sharing!! Hope to see some more from you in this thread! Awesome deal!

tj, great work. I can't buy a coyote yet this year, and you just scan em up on your way to work. Good job!

204AR, thanks for slipping on over to this thread for a visit. I think most guys are running Hosmart units, driveway alarms. I've had great luck with a Chamberlain for about 8 years now. I also run a Miltronics unit and just bought a Guardline for back up when my Chamberlain goes down for good. My sites are 170 yds and 130 yds and have no problems with reception. I'm running Pulsar digital NV and Bering thermal this year.

Originally Posted By: baitpileGreat video Week. Dead coyote for sure, just not close in the area. Stay after em. What rifle and bullet on that shot?

On the sensor topic, I received my Guardline today. Not to bad of a unit. I will have to tear them apart and perform my silicon operation to the internal LED lights however. One thing I don't like is the alert tones. It has 32 tones to choose from, and 28 of them are classical music...really? I want to be alerted...but it is what it is. So will be a bit before I deploy them. One other thing I noticed is the internals. It is pretty obvious all of these brands come off the same Chinese line. Identical parts, battery packs, connectors, electronic specs and temp specs. So, should work fine.
I did sit down this morning and perform some more extensive surgery on my Chamberlain sensors. I actually got some life back in them, but for how long, I don't know. I did put those out this morning to see if I get alerts, and have the Guardline on alert ready 5.

I'm running Hosmart and Wuloo alarms. I've thought for a long time that all of these units likely come from the same manufacturer.

I lean heavily towards the sensor units with solar panels. I take them in once or twice a year for recharging. The Wuloo is the newest addition. I have one out of four Wuloo sensors that doesn't seem to hold up.

Back