Baiting

A little follow up on the POI on my Hogster R35. Did more shooting and testing today at 100 and 200 yds. I changed targets to reflective foil tape for a larger, more defined target as opposed to just a hand warmer. I set the foil tape up on a backer as a large "cross hair". On black hot, this worked quite well.
I fired one shot to check my original zero which was on the hand warmer. Very close, but could use a click here or there. No big deal. One of my theories was to try and zero on at least 2x, which would give me plenty of zoom for 200 and in, given the clarity on this scope. Disaster!! The manual says to zero on base mag...but...thought I would test some theories. On 2x, POI was way off(to the right) from my original zero. W & E adjustments were goofy. It would not move my impact in any kind of rhyme or reason, just goofy.
Well, given the ammo and component resources, I went back to base mag. I dialed it right in at 100 yds. With this foil tape target, I was able to have a quite decent sight picture at 200 yds as well to check my drops. Dead nuts at 200 yds.
Now, all dialed in on base mag, I had the rifle on the bench, solid in rests. Holding the cross hair on center target, I zoomed to 2x. I could clearly see the cross hair shift left. I accomplished the same test with PIP. With base mag cross hair on center spot, I can clearly see the left shift in the PIP box.
In conclusion, I have an expensive base mag only scope. My email to Bering that I mentioned a week or so ago, has not been answered. I sent a second email this morning, and plan on calling Monday...
Long read, but, wanted to update for those interested.

P.S. Our fur bearer season is now open. A test shot very early this morning on a racoon, was confirmation we have issues, as the racoon waddled down the trail waving at me. The shot was 170 yds, tested on 2x. Our coons up here are large, like bear cubs, a chip shot to say the least. I can whack them all night long with my $400 Wraith. Frustrating.

First run of bait for the season. Beaver aka "coyote candy".

Bait by jrhranch, on Flickr

Also, no update out of Bering. Three emails not returned and two phone calls not returned. I'll leave it at that for now...

I visited my local butcher a few days ago and got over 5 gallons of meat scraps, with a promise of more soon. Problem is I haven’t seen a coyote since the 15th of October - 25 days now.

Originally Posted By: baitpileA little follow up on the POI on my Hogster R35. Did more shooting and testing today at 100 and 200 yds. I changed targets to reflective foil tape for a larger, more defined target as opposed to just a hand warmer. I set the foil tape up on a backer as a large "cross hair". On black hot, this worked quite well.
I fired one shot to check my original zero which was on the hand warmer. Very close, but could use a click here or there. No big deal. One of my theories was to try and zero on at least 2x, which would give me plenty of zoom for 200 and in, given the clarity on this scope. Disaster!! The manual says to zero on base mag...but...thought I would test some theories. On 2x, POI was way off(to the right) from my original zero. W & E adjustments were goofy. It would not move my impact in any kind of rhyme or reason, just goofy.
Well, given the ammo and component resources, I went back to base mag. I dialed it right in at 100 yds. With this foil tape target, I was able to have a quite decent sight picture at 200 yds as well to check my drops. Dead nuts at 200 yds.
Now, all dialed in on base mag, I had the rifle on the bench, solid in rests. Holding the cross hair on center target, I zoomed to 2x. I could clearly see the cross hair shift left. I accomplished the same test with PIP. With base mag cross hair on center spot, I can clearly see the left shift in the PIP box.
In conclusion, I have an expensive base mag only scope. My email to Bering that I mentioned a week or so ago, has not been answered. I sent a second email this morning, and plan on calling Monday...
Long read, but, wanted to update for those interested.

P.S. Our fur bearer season is now open. A test shot very early this morning on a racoon, was confirmation we have issues, as the racoon waddled down the trail waving at me. The shot was 170 yds, tested on 2x. Our coons up here are large, like bear cubs, a chip shot to say the least. I can whack them all night long with my $400 Wraith. Frustrating.

I'm curious as to what they come up with. My R35 walks up and to the left while zooming. I don't shoot using the zoom because of the distorted picture. Doesn't work for my eyes. Not a huge issue for me but something isn't quite right.

Bait em up 06, they will enjoy the scraps from the butcher. I have more available to me, but don't have the freezer space to store them all, which is a bummer. They are good bait.

tj, I'm highly suspect of the directions to "zero on base mag only", that tells me something. As in, the zoom on these is worthless. It is still quite usable on base mag, just the point I guess. I've been trying to talk with somebody at Bering for almost three weeks now, with no joy. I do believe that it is a great optic with great clarity in its price point, as well as a 4 yr warranty, best in the business right now. Which, is why I'm using great restraint right now in the customer service end of things, hoping things will play out. I will keep you all in the loop.
Until then, lets see some coyote action! I'm standing by waiting for my beeper to go off as we speak...

Originally Posted By: baitpileBait em up 06, they will enjoy the scraps from the butcher. I have more available to me, but don't have the freezer space to store them all, which is a bummer. They are good bait.

tj, I'm highly suspect of the directions to "zero on base mag only", that tells me something. As in, the zoom on these is worthless. It is still quite usable on base mag, just the point I guess. I've been trying to talk with somebody at Bering for almost three weeks now, with no joy. I do believe that it is a great optic with great clarity in its price point, as well as a 4 yr warranty, best in the business right now. Which, is why I'm using great restraint right now in the customer service end of things, hoping things will play out. I will keep you all in the loop.
Until then, lets see some coyote action! I'm standing by waiting for my beeper to go off as we speak...

I've shot 5 so far off my pile since harvest got wrapped up. Need to get the pictures up and going again. I agree with your thoughts on the thermal. I wouldn't have even known it had a issue if not for reading this. It does everything I need it to do on base mag. I just tested it on a bunny to see if it did walk.

Good luck! Do you stake your candy down? I always use a old snare to contain my candy.

Good job tj on the 5. Yes, pics for sure. My site has been quiet. Usually on the early start, its slow for coyotes. The possums, coons, hawks, and eagles tear me up. I do stake everything down. I pound a rebar stake in the ground and use stainless electric fence wire.
My site is 170 yds from my bench. I have tested the R35 on a possum now, on base mag. It will do it, albeit, pretty small target, probably 1/3 the size of our coon. So, base mag is good. I'm ready to see a coyote on base mag at 170 to gain some more confidence and be comfortable in the field at 200 yds.
Reference the bunny, how far, and did the scope walk? Curious.

Originally Posted By: baitpileGood job tj on the 5. Yes, pics for sure. My site has been quiet. Usually on the early start, its slow for coyotes. The possums, coons, hawks, and eagles tear me up. I do stake everything down. I pound a rebar stake in the ground and use stainless electric fence wire.
My site is 170 yds from my bench. I have tested the R35 on a possum now, on base mag. It will do it, albeit, pretty small target, probably 1/3 the size of our coon. So, base mag is good. I'm ready to see a coyote on base mag at 170 to gain some more confidence and be comfortable in the field at 200 yds.

My site is 175 also. Same problem with the coons/possums. Takes a bit to clean them out. First coyote was 250 yds out. No problem id'ing at that range. Very clear. Rest of them have been at the 175 site. Bunny was at 150, scope walked up and to left each time I increased. Then as I decreased back down it walked right back in to where I started. I didn't shoot, just used it to test on cause it was sitting out there steady. Like I said before, I don't zoom to shoot anyway. When it is zoomed it gets pretty blurry. Least with my old eyes. Lol Overall for my use so far I'm happy with it.

Originally Posted By: tj66Originally Posted By: baitpileGood job tj on the 5. Yes, pics for sure. My site has been quiet. Usually on the early start, its slow for coyotes. The possums, coons, hawks, and eagles tear me up. I do stake everything down. I pound a rebar stake in the ground and use stainless electric fence wire.

My site is 175 also. Same problem with the coons/possums. Takes a bit to clean them out. First coyote was 250 yds out. No problem id'ing at that range. Very clear. Rest of them have been at the 175 site. Bunny was at 150, scope walked up and to left each time I increased. Then as I decreased back down it walked right back in to where I started. I didn't shoot, just used it to test on cause it was sitting out there steady. Like I said before, I don't zoom to shoot anyway. When it is zoomed it gets pretty blurry. Least with my old eyes. Lol Overall for my use so far I'm happy with it.

I agree. I am 100% operational. Just wanted to ask some questions and get some verification, but don't know if that will happen.

Here are pics of double on Tues night [img:right][/img]

Came in at 9:30. Used AR I chambered in 22-204ai. 53 gr Hornady hp's running 3550. Working good. Both DRT's

Last edited:
This one came in @ 3:30 am on 11-6. Used 22-204ai again with 53gr hp. DRT again

[img:left]http://[/img]

Last edited:
thumbup1.gif

A DANDY for Mrs Week! Nice deer, congrats to her. What rifle and bullet Week?
Hoping to hear of some action on the bait. Very slow here.

Back