Fur friendly .223 bullet (2017 update)?

Ruger2506

Good morning guys. I know this has been hashed out multiple times but all the conversations I've found in here regarding the fur friendly .223 are 5 or more years old. As we all know bullet composition and technology changes rapidly. So here in 2017, what are the bullets people are using for fur harvest? Keep in mind my hunting buddy and I will be in areas that we will have shots at Bobcats and Red/Grey Fox. The hides are for personal use in my man room and maybe to trade to my taxidermist for other work. Thanks in advance

I like the 65 Sierra Gameking I know most people think that is too heavy of a bullet but I don't like runners. Most of the time small entrance half dollar size exit. I do prefer 8 twist barrels, thought 9 twist will work. If you hit a leg bone low in the chest area it can do some fur damage.

Agreed on the heavier bullets. I don't like runners either. I shoot the 63 grain Sierra SMP's. Any bullet depends on shot placement though for being fur friendly. If hit not too far back there will be very minimal damage, if not you will blow that coyote up.

Like I said earlier, I shot a coyote this weekend with a Sierra Game King, 25 grains of Varget, went in high on the left side came out just below the shoulder socket on the right. Blew a hole the size of a golf ball and took out most of the leg bone. Range was 150-200 yards. Skinning him sucked. My rifle is 1:7 and simply does not like light rounds. If I could I would be using 53 grain ballistic tips trying to not have exit wounds.

SGK are great rounds, but if the question is about being fur friendly, not what’s your favorite, I can’t recommend SGK.

I quit using 22 centerfire for Fox in 1986 when intending to sell the fur. Fox skin is thin and their body structure is hard to keep a bullet in. Shotgun with #2 or bb's(lead) work well as do the 17 and 22 rimfires. My best long range Fox gun is the 17 rem with the 25 gr Berger varmint started at 3900 no exits.

Ballistic tips can be your best friend or worst nightmare. The best fur saver I have used is a 55 gr psp but they can set the spin record or run sometimes.
Often wonder about the new all copper bullets.

Just shot a yote the other day with my brand new 22-250 with hornady 55 grain spire point going at around 34-3500 fps i believe. .22 cal entry and an exit about the size of a quarter at 150 yards.. not too bad so far, will have to see what happens when i hit bone

60gr V-Max over 23.4 gr Benchmark out of my R15 18” barrel. Minimal damage. It’s the only load I’ve ever used in 5 years of calling.

When gunning for fur a shot that results with surface splash or an exit that requires any sewing is damage and will reduce that pelts value if found. A Fox requires 1-3 inches of penetration, a coyote is 2-5 inches. The bullet terminal performance will be a result of velocity and material/shape. The 223 will perform well on coyote,a very good bullet is the Hornady 50 gr sx. Start them around 3200, these are great for guns with cartridge length limitations( no plastic tip reducing bullet seating adjustments). I have shot raccoon with this load and on larger coon it works great, but with the current price of Fox I would avoid damage, when pelt price is low damage will result in a greater percentage of loss value.

I like Hornady 52 grain BTHP's. My brother shoots Sierra Varminter 60 grain HP's and they're way fur friendly. I've never shot a fox or seen a fox shot with either bullet so I can't comment on that but either of those won't tear a bobcat or coyote up as long as you don't hit one in the guts or in the backbone (along the edges.)

Have had the V-max bullet create holes when it splashed against bone. Now I either use a soft point or a Barnes TSX, may go all the way through but the exit is around the size of a quarter.

Hello folks, any further thoughts on the topic of getting a .223 Rem to be fur friendly? (Resurrecting an old thread so my apologies)

I saw outdoor life recommending the 62gr Federal Fusion (I like this as a factory small - deer ie Muntjac and Chinese Water Deer load) and also have a few Sierra 65gr SBTs left.

I'd really like something that stayed inside the body of a fox but appreciate that might not work so perhaps something more solid is the answer

Current options

Federal Fusion 62gr
Nosler 55gr E-Tip
Sierra 60gr Tipped Match Kings
58gr Peregrine VLR4s

(Could also get some 60 Nosler Varmint Ballistic tips if people thought a good idea)

Thanks in advance,

Scrummy

Originally Posted By: ScrumbagHello folks, any further thoughts on the topic of getting a .223 Rem to be fur friendly? (Resurrecting an old thread so my apologies)

I saw outdoor life recommending the 62gr Federal Fusion (I like this as a factory small - deer ie Muntjac and Chinese Water Deer load) and also have a few Sierra 65gr SBTs left.

I'd really like something that stayed inside the body of a fox but appreciate that might not work so perhaps something more solid is the answer

Current options

Federal Fusion 62gr
Nosler 55gr E-Tip
Sierra 60gr Tipped Match Kings
58gr Peregrine VLR4s

(Could also get some 60 Nosler Varmint Ballistic tips if people thought a good idea)

Thanks in advance,

Scrummy

I'd pick the Nosler E-Tips. I shot them for a season and had pretty good luck with not tearing coyotes up. Shot one red fox and it didn't leave an exit much bigger than the entry wound. Shot it broadside. The biggest exit I remember seeing was a little bigger than a quarter if I remember right. Shot a feral cat in the chest and the bullet came out between its shoulder blades. Couldn't have weighed more than 10 pounds at the most. Probably not even that.

Last edited:
Back