Baiting

The burnsome neighborhood is a little more safe this morning. Young male that's been around for a week or so finally met up with me last night. 223 40gr Nosler BT took care of the problem.

Might have rushed the shot a little bit since he was hesitant about committing to come out in the open just a wee bit more, but he dropped in his tracks so it all worked out. Bullet entered right about the base of the neck. No exit.

Was hunting him a few days ago and he swooped in and took out one of my racoon early warning buddies. Didnt get a shot then.

[video:youtube][/video]

3NulXBx.jpg

UEdCQDj.jpg

Good job, Burn. That one seems to have a dark color to him.

Currently there is a female coyote coming to my site, but I am just waiting for Sept. to come.

Thanks Gents. Been after that one for at least a couple weeks. Seems like when they decide to become a "resident" in the area is when I get after 'em. As my neighbor says "Sooner or later, he'll make a mistake" and he's right.

Now the countdown starts for the next one to venture into my AO. My neighbor is guessing 3 weeks, but I think it'll be a bit longer. I guess we'll see...

When I started this endeavor in a serious way, things have worked out very well and NV was the big game changer. Learned a lot from you folks on this forum for sure. It's quite the fun factor to be able to equalize the playing field and the right tactics with awesome equipment makes that happen.

Happy hunting

I did manage to kill one tonight calling A pretty big male and fairly dark. He doesn't look all that big in the picture without that winter coat, but he was heavy. Shot him on the hunting club where we've recently gotten permission to hunt. He was on a timber road. The club has 6,000 acres so it will give us some good options as soon as deer season goes out next winter. He stepped out about 100 yds. and I smacked him right square in the chest. Unfortunately when I turn the DVR on it takes a few seconds before it starts recording so all I got was him waving goodbye. Here is a picture.

#63 by Double Up, on Flickr

Awesome season and video DU! Thanks for that.

Burnsome - I see you sold your little bolt gun to go back to the AR platform. Is that a .223 you already had, or, what's the plan for caliber and such? Just curious.

Originally Posted By: baitpileAwesome season and video DU! Thanks for that.

Burnsome - I see you sold your little bolt gun to go back to the AR platform. Is that a .223 you already had, or, what's the plan for caliber and such? Just curious.

Yes BP - I had it set up for my 2nd night rig, but never could get used to the stock length and the short eye relief for NV optics. The gun was great and accurate but just wasnt working ergonomically for me. I'm getting great results with 223/556 these days so I'll stay with what works. Most my shots are 60 yards or so and it puts them down good.

This young female came limping in tonight. Probably did her a favor. I'll check for any front leg or paw damage after daylight comes. I thought it might have been the same coyote I took a running shot at about a month ago. Back then, it looked like the shot might have caught a back leg but I never found a body. After reviewing this video it appears she's limping on a front leg so I dont know...

40gr Nosler VMAX out of the AR put her right down right there. About 60 yards or so. ATN 4K scope. Been coming in every few nights for the last couple of weeks.

[video:youtube][/video]

kq2OmvU.jpg

Ry0VX5D.jpg

Missing part of the left front paw. Maybe this is the one I took a running shot at about a month ago. ETA - I went back and looked at my scope video from the one I shot at back then and I can say with about 100% confidence its the same one based on the coat markings. It's been hobbling around all this time with half its front paw shot off. Apparently the bullet went between the back legs and clipped off the front paw when it was running directly away from me. Interesting that it came back to the same area it was shot before.

Bis7OW1.jpg

Last edited:
Back