What’s your go to bass lure?

Bigcypress

I fish my home lake mostly and found the most consistent lure there. A 1/2oz rattle trap is my go to bass lure, just adjust speed depending on water temp and I only use 2 colors. In clear water I use the root beer (315) and for stained/muddy water the chartreuse shiner (52). Give these a try on your lake, you may not catch lunkers but they’ll put bass in the boat. What is your never fail bass lure?

Single blade spinner bait, the dollar ones from Walmart work great. I usually dress them with a splittail rubber grub. Funny some days the colorado blade is all they want and the next a willow leaf. Black and white or black and yellow in dark water and brighter colors in clear. Other than top water baits it is about all I use anymore. I have boxes of them.

Over the years I've caught large and smallmouth bass, northerns, musky, walleye, a number of larger crappie, white bass and catfish on these.

Last edited:
Jig of some sort. I can flip flooded brush in shallow water with a flipping/pitching jig, swim a swimming jig in mid depths and fish deep structure when necessary with a football head. A close second would be a Senko. Fished weightless and rigged wacky style in shallow grass and cover or Carolina rigged and dragged on the bottom it is a consistent producer.

Originally Posted By: BigcypressI fish my home lake mostly and found the most consistent lure there. A 1/2oz rattle trap is my go to bass lure, just adjust speed depending on water temp and I only use 2 colors. In clear water I use the root beer (315) and for stained/muddy water the chartreuse shiner (52). Give these a try on your lake, you may not catch lunkers but they’ll put bass in the boat. What is your never fail bass lure?

I like the Red Eye Shad better than the Rattletrap. The Red Eye Shad has a very nice side to side wobble when you kill it during the retrieve or rip it up off the bottom. The Rattletrap sinks like a stone with no action when you kill it.

Chrome and blue back for clear water and bright sun. Gold and black for clear water dark overcast sky. Bone or Firetiger for muddy water. Red in early spring.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWSSingle blade spinner bait, the dollar ones from Walmart work great. I usually dress them with a splittail rubber grub. Funny some days the colorado blade is all they want and the next a willow leaf. Black and white or black and yellow in dark water and brighter colors in clear. Other than top water baits it is about all I use anymore. I have boxes of them.

Over the years I've caught large and smallmouth bass, northerns, musky, walleye, a number of larger crappie, white bass and catfish on these.

Love me some spinnerbaits and chatterbaits. Very versatile bait.

I’m with GC pretty much.

Jig fishing is the most versatile. In our lakes, a small profile 3/16oz jig with some hair and a wire guard and a tiny chunk is hard to beat around rocks and brush. 1/2 oz football jigs at night or fishing deeper. The smaller chatterbait with a damiki trailer and skirt removed when they want shad.

My next would be between a baby brush hog or a missile baits 4.5 quiver worm. Texas rig the brush hog, the quiver worm works Texas rigged, on a Ned head, Neko rigged, or even wacky.

I always have a Bandit 300 on my cranking rod.

Lot of people use either a 2.8 or 3.3 Keitech about year round also.

If I can have only one for any situation. It would be a Texas rigged Jackall Archelon. Can pitch it like a jig, punch it into grass, drag it along bottom when fishing ledges or deep structure. Very versatile technique.

Started using 2 new to me rigs this year...Ned rig, using Zman skirted Micro Finesse Jig head and their Junebug Hula Stick...Free Rig, 3/8 or 1/4oz slip sinker, Gamakatsu 3/0 or 4/0 EWG Worm hook (really liked the Shin Fukae model) and Geecrack Bellows Gill, cant say what colo as i cant tell what it is as its written in all Japanese, but its a Bluegill color.
Also Running a Shimano Zodias Lightweight Spinning rod and Daiwa Tatula 2500 reel, 12lb Fluorocarbon for the Ned Rig. Thats key to get the right hookset with the light weight jigs.
Free Rig i use same 12lb Fluoro, but St Croix Medium Heavy and Daiwa BG 3000..need more power as its a heavier bait...its been killer from March-late May.

Carolina rig lizard. In pretty much any color as long as it has a green tint. the next would be either a swim jig or chatter bait. In any color as long as it is black and blue.

White spinner baits, rapala red jointed crawfish, and X raps. The rippin rap in the white shad color was my goto last year. Seems to change from year to year.

Last edited:
Back