New Furniture for my Old Savage 219, 22 Hornet

In post: Couldn't Pass On This Auction I described this Savage 219 just purchased. There I mentioned I was considering making new stocks or it. I've previously made several stocks using a stock duplication machine that I made. Described in post My Stock Duplicator

I've decided I'm going to make new stocks for this M219. The butt stock will have a Monte Carlo cheek piece.

Two years ago I made a Walnut stock for a Ruger American Rimfire 17 HMR. Described in post http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...5001&page=1 .

To make that stock, I duplicated old damaged stock for another rifle (Winchester 670?) for the RAR. I'm thinking of using the butt end of the copied stock for this M219. I'll have to fill in the existing receiver openings and then copy the receiver the M219 receiver mounting portion to make a master to reproduce.

Existing M219 butt stock:
keJ7pJoN_o.jpg

Planned new butt will look something like this:
2FDqDgX4_o.jpg

Last edited:
I've got several Australian walnut rifle blanks that are close to thirty years old. Also a two piece walnut blank that I have been looking for something to use it on. First I have to build up and fill in the old Winchester stock, bought off flea bay for $5.00. I will become my master and then cut the walnut.

wFVB5Qyc_o.jpg

Decided not to use the Winchester stock for the pattern of the new butt stock. Instead I'm going to use the original M219 butt stock with an added cheek piece. The original stock is basically a shotgun stock providing a low sight plane. Since I've mounted a scope on the M219, a Monte Carlo style cheek piece will raise the sight plane some. Since I plan on using a stock duplicator to cut the new stock, I'll add the cheek piece to the original butt stock before duplicating it. I'll use Bondo body filler to add the cheek piece, quick and easy. To get a nice rounded shape, I first wrapped the stock in clear packaging tape. This will allow me to remove the Bondo saving the original stock. Then I tapped a a 3/8 hose to the stock in the shape of the desired cheek piece. Tape was placed only on the outside radius of the hose. Later I'll fill in the area from the hose to the top of the stock with Bondo. When set I'll remove the tape and hose leaving a cheek piece with a nice curved radius.

MQNGJhHv_o.jpg

And here is the cheek piece, still requires some smoothing and blending in.

eWlNckqz_o.jpg

Last edited:
Update: Stock and walnut blank are in the duplicator. Walnut blank is probably 20 to 30 years old. I have a matching piece for the forearm. Still have to clean off the duplicator table and move it out of my garage. I have one final check to make sure walnut blank is position correctly. I put to long 1/4" pins in the router and the other side. Run the pin over the blank, if it touches the stock it means there is not enough wood on that blank area and it needs re-positioning. The blank is actually over sized, I'll put a level across the stock with a marker taped on top. Follow the stock contour. Large areas will be cut off with a miter saw.

U3L06Loh_o.jpg

XG7f3IsF_o.jpg

wxtkRPtk_o.jpg

well started cutting on the blank. I trimmed about 3/4" off the top and bottom of the blank and then put it back into the duplicator. I worked about an hour on it last night. Built up the grip area by tapping on some 1/16" Balsa wood. Using a 3/4" box router cutter set about 3/16" high to remove most of the wood first.

MvLmCqhu_o.jpg

C8VtzaUR_o.jpg

Spent two hours sanding with 100 grit paper on the stock today. Still have to cut and sand/shape more in the grip area. I put a coat of the finish that I use on the wood to see what the grain looks like.

2aClMhFJ_o.jpg

Ke6z6WBv_o.jpg

RZ6L6qT8_o.jpg

TcZzCzhU_o.jpg

So butt stock is getting closer to finishing. Here it is attached to the M219 receiver for the first time. Still needs a little fitting. The M219 has a 6" bolt that goes through the stock and screws into the receiver. I had to drill a 5/16" hole through the front of the stock and a 3/4" through the stock from the back for the bolt to go in from the back. I was a little nervous drilling the holes, didn't want the bits to come out from the side.

TKZc4c3z_o.jpg

Just think, I had my duplicator up for sale several months ago,

Last edited:
Nice so far I can't wait till I see some shine on that stock, you have some talent.
I got big walnut trees in the yard, big pain in the azz, the messiest tree I've ever seen.
But looky here! That's Beautiful

Originally Posted By: pyscodogAbout time for a few more pictures.

Summer months are here. Home and garden (4 acres) are keeping me busy now. Normally, I do my stock work in the winter. Being 71, I was very slow this last winter and starter three stock projects, finished none. I did borrow a recoil pad grinding fixture from my gunsmith this last week and do have to return it this week. It is for the Savage 219 butt pad. So that will get done and I will post pictures. I've just about finished checkering a walnut stock for my Savage A22 mag. Not my best work, but just about done. Next final sanding and putting a finish on it. Started it about 6 months ago. Also have to finish a butt stock for a Marlin 27S. Just got the action back from having the barrel relined -- 25-20. Started the butt stock last fall, fits needs final sanding and finishing. It is about 1/16" too large all around.

I also have an 1988 Suzuki Samurai which needs some work. Owned it since 2009 and re-built everything except front diff. Plus I've done a lot of mods to it. I just had the whole vehicle painted. Shop replaced new tailgate and windshield frame. Got it back and wipers don't work. I gotta pull the frame and see what's up. Just added post in Member Club House -
My 1988 Suzuki Samurai

Too many irons in the fire!

Last edited:
Back