Midway USA Gouging

$38-$45 is standard pricing for most hodgdon extreme powder right now - even over at hodgdon.com.

many major retailers have been around that price point for a while now - the days of $20/lb powder are the thing of fairy tails and stories for a while now.

im not suggesting that i like or agree with it... but its the world we're in right now.

and if you think its bad now - if any of the legislation thats slimed through the house manages to get pushed thru the senate by hook or by crook (or both!).... sadly we're all gonna smile at $47/lb prices for powder for a long time to come

Been consistently paying $30 to $33 per pound for Varget, H4350, Benchmark etc and have seen others in the extreme line for the same when it is available locally and online most places so I disagree on that. You could chalk it up to the political/pandemic climate but I am sure they will settle down again. Used to be hard to move powder if it was over $30 per lb and Im not talking 10 years ago, Im talking 1.5 to 2 years ago. About the same time I was paying $0.15 per round for M855 ammo after a rebate.

you're very fortunate to be paying those "yesterday" prices still.

having local shops who are willing to sell at "normal" retail is a gift these days.

consider just how lucky of a guy you are. no less that you've actaully seen a jug of varget in the real world in the last 3-6 months (or longer)

With quantity limits being implemented across almost every site that I would consider buying reloading components from, it makes it almost much not worth purchasing right now by the time you factor in shipping and hazmat. Ordering these things online was only ever a better deal than buying locally when you could do it in larger quantities, I don't see that being possible any time soon.

Just this week a local place got a shipment of primers in and I was quite surprised to hear the prices. Federal 205m primers were $3.90/pack, but there was a 2 pack quantity limit per customer. I can easily shoot that many shots and more on a good day in the squirrel fields, but as my shooting buddy said: it is encouraging to see reloading supplies - especially primers! - on the shelves this soon after the election.

I wasn't a reloader during the last components shortage, so all of this is new to me. One things for sure, I won't pay what people are asking on GunBroker, local classifieds or any other site charging egregious prices. I'll just find a new hobby. And to those people who stock up on reloading components only to turn around and sell them and make a profit during times like these, shame on you. I realize that is capitalism and free market economics, but it only makes this problem worse for those of us who actually use the components to enjoy our hobby. You are no better than the people who bought up all the toilet paper and then had their kids sell it on the corner for $5/roll last spring.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Oneyou're very fortunate to be paying those "yesterday" prices still.

having local shops who are willing to sell at "normal" retail is a gift these days.

consider just how lucky of a guy you are. no less that you've actaully seen a jug of varget in the real world in the last 3-6 months (or longer)

Last month, one shop got in one order and it was 123lbs of varget. All the same lot # in 1lb cans. $34.99 limit of 2.

I passed as I’m sitting on 4lbs and rarely use it.

Another local place had cci 200’s. $3.99 per 100 limit 2. I did buy 2 of those

Originally Posted By: MatlockWith quantity limits being implemented across almost every site that I would consider buying reloading components from, it makes it almost much not worth purchasing right now by the time you factor in shipping and hazmat. Ordering these things online was only ever a better deal than buying locally when you could do it in larger quantities, I don't see that being possible any time soon.

thats the real kick in the pants. getting enough product to make paying hazmat palatable.

however if you're out and have none.. its still better than funbroken gouger prices

not to keep beating on the dead horse, but just got my second flier from SG ammo, whom I have done quite a bit of business with in the past, but I am comparing the IMI 9mm and 5.56, both are selling in stock, prices at SG are over 30% lower. I would assume they get this stuff from the same source.
Barry

so lets get our apples to apples comparator out.....

midway has imi 9mm at $1/rd
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2090655809

sg imi 9mm $0.80 but not in stock.
https://www.sgammo.com/product/imi-ammo-...mmo-imi-israel-

thats officially 20% lower at SG, not 30... or its a 25% increase from sg to midway.

midway has imi m193 @ $0.80/rd
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2090862857

sg ammo imi m193 $0.79 - not in stock
https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-556mm...israel-military

roughly 1% difference on the 5.56... (i'm not gonna split hairs on a fraction of a %)

again maybe we're seeing different info.... i'm just going by what data is available to me at the time of this post. i would have to assume that their respective websites reflect the most recent price/availability.

with the way ammo sells trusting "in stock" listings for a mailed flyer is about like getting breaking news from California when you live in Boston back in the days of the pony express

A local store in Tulsa has 223 FMJ ammo in bulk, 1000 rounds is $1100. At a local gun show this week end, 223 ammo averaged $1.00-$1.25 per round for FMJ. Its not just Midway, its everywhere. If you don't reload and want to shoot, there isn't a lot of choices.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Oneso lets get our apples to apples comparator out.....

midway has imi 9mm at $1/rd
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2090655809

sg imi 9mm $0.80 but not in stock.
https://www.sgammo.com/product/imi-ammo-...mmo-imi-israel-

thats officially 20% lower at SG, not 30... or its a 25% increase from sg to midway.
last time I looked at midway, it was $60.00 a box of 50, I see it has now been dropped by $10.00 a box, but that was not the case when I wrote this, midways flier was 59.95, sg was 39.95.

midway has imi m193 @ $0.80/rd
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2090862857

sg ammo imi m193 $0.79 - not in stock
https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-556mm...israel-military

roughly 1% difference on the 5.56... (i'm not gonna split hairs on a fraction of a %)

again maybe we're seeing different info.... i'm just going by what data is available to me at the time of this post. i would have to assume that their respective websites reflect the most recent price/availability.

with the way ammo sells trusting "in stock" listings for a mailed flyer is about like getting breaking news from California when you live in Boston back in the days of the pony express

I went to Cabelas last week and they had 9mm Blazer brass cased FMJ for $14.99 per 50 rds. They let me buy 8 boxes at that price. I made sure I thanked them for NOT price gouging like these other places and I will remember them in the future. Midway has the same box for $46.99. That is gouging! The excuse that the manufacturers are charging more is bull.

The prices have been increased by the mfg's on powder, bullets etc because demand is up and they seized the opportunity to do so. Distributors are also trying to get theirs as well as retailers...The lower prices you are comparing are from stock purchased and priced before the mfg costs were increased. Tell your friends who blow off ammo by the case each weekend to stop burning their stim checks on .223 & 9mm so those of us who hunt with any other caliber can purchase components or ammo..lol

Last edited:
People who can afford to buy ammo by the case and shoot it up in a week end, at today's prices, probably don't care if you have ammo or not.

Originally Posted By: pyscodog Its not just Midway, its everywhere. If you don't reload and want to shoot, there isn't a lot of choices.

yep.

somebody pulled midways name out of a hat and ran with it.

at least it wasnt cheaper than dirts name.
smile.gif

Back