Baiting

Congrats DU on another successful night. Great video and pic!!
Congrats to GG on a good season. Enjoy the off season and look forward to next!!
Again, congrats to 06 on stellar numbers for this year, great year!!

My season was a little off this year. As far as numbers, about on track, 8 so far, with 3 missed which puts me at about my average of 11. Some scope woes I'm still sorting out. And finally, I'm under 8" of snow again as of yesterday, so I'm staying after em...for a while yet.
smile.gif

Well, the 2020-21 season woes continue. Not whining, just ready for next season I guess. Had a pair in last night on the 170 yd site. Probably my fault again, as I took a quartering to me shot. I'm sure the bullet impacted at that shoulder point between the chest and shoulder, lots of bone, cartlidge, and other protection. 60 gr Vmax at 2865 fps, 16" AR. By the evidence at the bait and over a mile of tracking, last night and this morning, I'm calling it a splash. I rolled the coyote on impact, and the photos show the rest. The daylight pic is coming off the bait down into my creek bed. I took this pic this morning. The other pic is last night, probably 100 yds from my bait, heading south. I tracked across two properties for over a mile, the coyote layed down several times, and was still on his feet when I gave up the chase. Yep, I know it happens, just seems this year has been plagued with issues...
031721 by jrhranch, on Flickr
tracking by jrhranch, on Flickr

Thanks for the vent!! Carry on...

Baitpile, seems when it rains it pours as the old saying goes. I wounded one a few years ago that had a steady blood trail through the snow. I tracked him the next morning until he got in a thick laurel hillside that a rabbit couldn’t go through. It hurts to lose one, but as you mentioned, it happens sometimes.

BP, that's a tough shot and one that seems to present itself all too often. Hard to get through all that bone. Stuff happens, but you did the best you could to recover the animal.

I still agonize over a beautiful black one that I shot and lost in 2011. I've killed a half dozen black ones since, but none as pretty as that one. Looked for it for 3 days wearing a back brace with a fractured L3.

Thanks for the support guys!! Yes, it happens. And, has happened to me in the past. Always frustrating. The worst part for me is the disappointment in myself. Was it a bad call, bad shot placement, or just bad luck? To add to it is the few shot opportunities we have, then...bad hit. Well, been there a time or two. Again, thanks guys. Back in the saddle tonight! Let's get after em!!

Yup. Keep after 'em BP. Had one last year that ran over 300 yards through stuff I couldnt even walk though. Took a few days to find him and he ended up in a creek in a couple feet of water. It happens

Well, as Popeye the Sailor used to say, "I can't stands no more," so I reopened coyote season. No, I didn't break any game laws since we can hunt them 24/7 yeararound. Rather, I had a coyote coming to the bait for three consecutive nights after I took the last one on the 14th. I always end my season in March, and figured that last one would do me for the season. But, temptation got the best of me, plus some coaxing from DoubleUp, so I stayed at the cabin again last night. In truth, I didn't expect one to return since four nights in a row would set a record for returns.

Coyote #1 showed up around 11:37 PM. The 90 Varmageddon from the 6.5 Grendel dropped it right there. Then, about 20 minutes later coyote #2 showed up, walked up to the dead one and began sniffing it. So, another Varmageddon found it's mark and dropped it. This morning I found them lying parallel and touching. I have shot doubles in the field a couple of other times, but none this close. When I viewed the video of the first coyote, it appears to have dropped a little further up the hill, but when the second coyote was sniffing the dead one, they are a little further down the hill, closer to the tree. Both were females, but neither showed signs of being pregnant.

These two coyotes round out my season to 10, the most I have taken in any season, so I am very pleased.
And, the Grendel ended up working well for me after a rocky start with the previous two bullets I used. The
Varmageddon's seem to be what I needed all along.

51056738307_cf0fbca0c1_b.jpg

This small tree to the left has got to go. I will take care of it this summer. That was too close. The coyotes are lying as I found them this morning.
I didn't touch them before this photo.

51056658006_204826435f_b.jpg

Too bad Pulsar dropped the Apex line of thermal scopes. In my opinion that was one of the best buys in thermal up to that time. They pushed the
higher priced Trail models instead, that were plagued with not holding zero well. Would be nice if they brought the Apex scopes back.

51055929563_77a0b7bef0_b.jpg

Wow, what a way to end the season on a high note, a double high note at that. Those 90 Varms sure put the whammy on both those coyotes too. Looks like the right bullet for that Grendel.

And the good thing is, the Varmageddon's don't do a lot of damage to the fur, at least on the 4 that I have taken with that bullet.

Wow 06, what a night!! Way to stay after em!! And, I said earlier that you had a stellar season, this is over the top!! What a way to wind down the season! Congrats on a perfect night! It looks like the Varmageddon and 6.5 is the combo for you. WTG!!

Dropping the Apex always left me scratching my head? Your success always is a little sweeter because we are using the same scope!

Nice ending!

Thanks guys. I surely didn’t expect one to show up that night, and definitely not two.

Softpoint, Pulsar left me scratching my head too. Some things don’t make good sense.

If anyone happens to run upon a box or two of the 90 Varmageddon bullets, I would appreciate a heads-up. Those seem to be just what I have needed.

Another one bites the dust. Been coming in for a couple days so I decided to hunt tonight. About a 10 minute hunt. Coon sentries took off up the trees and low and behold look what came in...

[video:youtube][/video]

y9X2SFt.jpg

276YzzY.jpg

Back